"Intermediate" Life Support Nomenclature

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Correct...the majority of MICPs (Paramedics as we know it) work in flight or are on remote gigs. I was first registered there in 2004 and my Paramedic number was three digits, the first two digits were 50. In order to even become a paramedic, the students in state had to go to WA, OR, NY or FL to get the practical portion/clinicals signed off.

The EMT III was always called a pseudo medic and was a solution to the above problem. You can acquire EMT III without ever leaving state and you can get decent pay for doing almost all the work with less than half the knowledge.

OP
OP
EpiEMS

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
The EMT III was always called a pseudo medic and was a solution to the above problem. You can acquire EMT III without ever leaving state and you can get decent pay for doing almost all the work with less than half the knowledge.

When I'd just started in EMS (not that long ago), I thought of these as a great idea - you don't have to pay as much and you get the same skills (who doesn't want more skills?) - but as I see more EMTs and medics mess up skills that they ought to know, I get a lot more wary...
Maybe I'm just cynical, but these sorts of pseudo-medics (AEMT-CC, for example), strike me as less helpful than they are potentially risky - particularly for the patient - especially considering that many of the "ALS" measures that are the "coolest" are the least helpful.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Intermediate (I99s) are ALS in Colorado, AEMTs are not. I am not sure what AEMTs really are given that our EMT scope is pretty much the same.

Our sister service has I99s, it is sometimes scary. They are supposed to call before doing almost everything. But we have no cell or radio service for large areas and they are often on the truck as the ALS provider so....

Operations Guy

Supreme Overlord
As a medic I think it's rather simple. EMT or Medic. However businesses will always look to pay less and get away with less to improve profit margins. Arlington Texas (AMR) uses AEMT (Texas Intermediate) and EMT for 911 and bills it as ALS. It works fine being so close to trauma centers but out in the country I rather have duel medic. Most county EMS services around the metroplex use duel medic. Parker County being one with great scope and pay.

OP
OP
EpiEMS

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
@Tigger I was under the impression that CO was going to get rid of EMT-IV and require AEMT for those folks who want to continue that level of care...but I could be thinking of TN (they have/had EMT-IV also).

I definitely am a bit wary of I99 as a level of care, too.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Correct...the majority of MICPs (Paramedics as we know it) work in flight or are on remote gigs. I was first registered there in 2004 and my Paramedic number was three digits, the first two digits were 50. In order to even become a paramedic, the students in state had to go to WA, OR, NY or FL to get the practical portion/clinicals signed off.

There isnt a hospital in Alaska that they can do their clinical rotations at?

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Not enough VOLUME.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
CAMTS also has it's own definition of ALS vs Critical Care but I honestly not sure what it actually means from a billing perspective. For instance I know my program is the only "Critical Care" designated HEMS program in the region. I assume most of it is due to that our advanced cardiac support capabilities.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Even in Anchorage or Juneau?

LOL...have you ever been there? Unless things have changed dramatically, you need to know that there are more reindeer in Alaska than people...seriously.

Remember I left in 2006 and pretty much quit following all things AK in 2008....however, up until that time, MICP programs were few and far between and everyone had to go Outside to complete clinicals/ride time in a timely fashion...otherwise it could take forever to get them done. I would love to hear this has changed and have not looked up stats or data to confirm, just seems doubtful that it has. LOL

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
You know Juneau only has 4 ambulances, right? :)

Anchorage FD has 9 ALS units.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Yes there are ambulances, yes there are paid services and on call services and lots of volunteers...as I said, there still is not enough significant volume to complete a program in normal time.

Operations Guy

Supreme Overlord
Yes there are ambulances, yes there are paid services and on call services and lots of volunteers...as I said, there still is not enough significant volume to complete a program in normal time.

Yeah makes sense to ship them down to get experience then. I remember when I was considering moving up there full time and having to go through the paperwork for the state medical board to get my MICP. Very interesting and confusing.