I'm thinking of being an EMT...

jedirye

Forum Lieutenant
So yeah, I've been going to my local community college for the past two years and have successfully obtained my AA. My long term goal is to become a registered nurse, but there seem to be long waiting lists for all the healthcare programs around my area (near Tampa, FL). I heard about a summer CNA program and quickly signed up for that because I figure it would give me more experience than my current job (Walmart cashier). After reading/hearing about the job descriptions, I quickly dropped that month long class. Then I heard my college was offering a two month summer course to become an EMT. I must admit, I'm a little excited and am just wondering what to expect. Perhaps I could even climb up in this area if I like it and become a paramedic or something. So for any of you people in this field already, what is there to expect? Is it physically demanding? I'm not a sissy but it seems that males have a physical advantage and am curious if that plays a part in anything.

Thanks!

-rye

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I took the two months EMT Academy over the summer, and it was one of the best experiences of my life.

I can't tell you what to expect, because there are lots of variables. There's public and private EMS, and as you already noted, there are several levels of training.

I'm out of shape, and I can work in EMS. I don't believe physical shape should determine whether or not you should take the course, but you'll soon realize if you need to start working out. I've seen 400lb people working in EMS, and I've had partners that couldn't lift the stretcher. Again, as long as you're willing to work at it, it shouldn't be a problem.

Being an EMT is a tremendously rewarding job. It's not nearly as glamorous as you probably believe, but no jobs are.

I'd go to your local fire station / EMS station / private ems company and ask for a ride along. They'll let you ride along for a shift, and you'll get a taste of EMS.

Good luck!

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
:) :) :) Welcome!! :) :) :)

Expect a lot of studying, getting into this isn't about just passing the tests, you have to know it inside and out. I'd definitely do a ride along before you start the class just to make sure you like it.

TexasMedic

Forum Crew Member
I took the a two month EMT course about a year ago. I two must say it was one of the best experiences of my life.

MMiz is right the best way to decided whether or not it is something you want to do you need to ride along with someone. I did this about 3 months prior to my class starting, and it was just what I needed.

Being an EMT is a really rewarding experiences, and career choice. We are all in this profession to help people, and we have a great time along the way.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Welcome to EMTLife - We put the Fun in Dysfunction!

EMS can be VERY hard work. It can be both physically and mentally challenging, but it can also be very rewarding.

nsmedic393

Forum Probie
I would definatly ride along if you can. But if you can't it isn't a huge deal. At the worst you lost two months of the summer and a few hundred dollars. It would look good on a resume also if applying for other jobs.

Just forget all the "we save lives" crap and you will do fine.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Welcome to EMTLife from one of your neighbors. I'm just down the street in Sarasota.

Ditto to most of the above: Try to do a ride along. If you're anything like me, you'll be hooked the first time the tones drop.

OP
OP
jedirye

jedirye

Forum Lieutenant
Well I'm almost certain I will like it, as I have always been interested in the medical field. The problem is it starts Monday so I have little time to prepare. I was all set on that CNA program until I just recently found out about the EMT one, so I only signed up recently. I still have to take a CPR course before it starts as well, and my college offers one but in June when my class starts in May <_<

My second dilemma is that I am under the impression I can still maintain my part time job, as a Walmart cashier. As unglamorous as it sounds, I enjoy that job very much and am not ready to leave it just because school starts. I've been working 32 hours overnight at Walmart and doing school full time for the past two years straight, even summers. These classes though are set up a little differently: M,T, W from 9am-3:30pm. I fit that in fine with my work schedule as I will have off Sun., Mon., and Tues. nights off, the only problem is that they do not list times for the clinicals, which I was told they set it up in class so... I'm just hoping I can pull it off for two months :unsure:

Thanks for all the replies!

-rye

Imagine

Forum Crew Member
I'm a seventeen year old highschool junior with a part time job and I was able to pass the class, and I'm now certified. It was a wonderful experience. I dont know if I'll look for a profession in the EMS category, but for me it was just a great great great life experience to have. To have the skills is a good feeling, and running calls is fun. As sadistic as that may sound, its true. I'd recommend it, but make sure you get into it for the right reasons and not just for the resume fluff that it tends to offer. If you're not taking the class to run with an ambulance service or at least use the skills in some way, its not worth your time effort or money.

OP
OP
jedirye

jedirye

Forum Lieutenant
Well, just got my CPR certification today from The American Heart Assocaition (BLS for Healthcare Providers). The class was fairly short, maybe four hours and I learned a decent amount. Can't wait for class to start on Monday!

-rye

OP
OP
jedirye

jedirye

Forum Lieutenant
A guy listed on the American Heart Association website, eh?

-rye

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Chimpie said:
You learned CPR from whom? :eek:
Uh... Yeah...

AHA Prof. rescuer is SUPPOSED TO BE 8 hours... 4 hour RE-CERT... Lots of Pump-and-Blow...

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Actually, with the new standards and new video, it only takes 4-6 hours, depending upon the number of students.

RALS504

Forum Lieutenant
Welcome jedirye. Answering your question, Yes it is worth it to take an
EMT-B class. Once you finish you will have an excellent foot in the door to advance your medical career. I am a EMT-Intermediate. I got my EMT-B and volunteered with my local fire dept. running calls for a few years. I then got my EMT-I and started working for my local hospital based EMS. Now I work for the same healthcare organization in Adult Intensive Care Unit and the Emergency Department (ED) as a tech. I do not know how it is in other places but here EMT-B is more versital than CNA. We do not allow CNA's without an EMT license to work in the ED. I will also tell you that your experience at Walmart will be invaluable in the field because customer service is customer service. I did nine years in McDonald's and I found customer service at McDonald's much more challenging. I am getting ready to go through paramedic school and then the clinical part of nursing school. I am told most RN programs around the country are requiring your CNA certification to get into thier program. I am told that an EMT license does not count for this. That being said your EMT training will be very useful even in nursing. I work with a few RNs who are also medics and 10 RNs who are or where EMTs first. What is your AA in?

OP
OP
jedirye

jedirye

Forum Lieutenant
Okay, so I had my first class......... And it's slightly overwhelming! But it's still pretty sweet. I'm just a little worried about this checklist we have to have done. It's got 100 procedures we must accomplish twice during class/clinicals and I'm worried about getting it done. I have to ask if we have to be in our clinical schedule to get those done or if I can mosey down to my local firedepartment and bug them about showing me some stuff/signing me off on some procedures ^_^
Clinicals aren't as bad as I thought. We have five 12 hours shifts in the ambulance setting and two 12 hours shifts in the ER. He has yet to pass out a schedule for that yet. I hope it coincides with my schedule is all, at least slightly.
We haven't really done at lab stuff yet, just book stuff and signing a bunch of paperwork for those 6+ hours...

-rye

(Oh yeah, I have your basic AA after two years of college; I don't really know what else to call it.)

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Don't worry about the procedures, Most preceptors will make sure you get to practice as much as you can (they're especialy good at creating situations for you to practice with) as long as you show a willingness to learn. The nurses and techs in the ER are usually the same way.

And we were encouraged to do extra clinical time or seek out additional help/training. There's a fire station down the road from my apt and I had/have a hard time auscultating with all the noise from the rig, they were more than happy to run the trucks for me and let me practice Bp's and lung sounds on them during thier down time.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Jedirye - is there a volunteer Fire/Ambulance Co nearby you could join? From experiwence, it is a greater learning curve if you don't actually ride the ambulance until you do your clinical :censored::censored::censored::censored:s... and the clinicals for BLS school are at the almost end...because they want you to be able to "actually do things"

Jon

OP
OP
jedirye

jedirye

Forum Lieutenant
Well on the fourth class we had our first test and had to be in full inform so I felt super cool. Suffice no say, no one got an A. I got a B however ^_^ The class is pretty fun actually. There are only about 13 kids and we all got to know each other fairly quickly. I also talked with the Fire Chief at my local firestation and they actually pay for your schooling (for EMT, Firefighter, Paramedic, etc.), you just pay them back in volunteer hours so that seems like a pretty sweet setup to be honest. I am eager to apply to the Paramedic program the second I can and hope to God it's not a huge long wait.
I'm curious if getting an Associates in Science degree in Emergency Medical Services would serve me any purpose in this field should I go on to be a paramedic/RN. Does anyone know? Are there any salary benefits? Looks like I only need three classes I can take next semester if I don't get into the Paramedic program, and then once I have my Paramedic classes, I could get that degree. Anyone have it and what is it for!?

-rye

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Congrats!!!

I've got everything for that degree (just have to go through the paramedic program), it helps as far as getting hired quickly, promotions, and getting into the upper echelons of management. Also here you get a 2% salary increase for the AA and a 4% increse for a Bachelors, I've been told though that while there is a masters degree, there isn't much point in getting it.

If I were you and only had 3 other classes to take I'd go for it, a degree is never a bad thing. Half the time what the degree is in doesn't matter, but it shows that your dedicated and willing to follow through and work toward your decisions.