If I hear one more person complain about EMS wages...

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
...I'm going to have an aneurysm.

Stop complaining about it and be glad you have a job. If you don't like it then quit, there are hundreds of EMTs out there that would be tickled pink to take your job.

That sucks that the Dominos pizza boy makes more money. I'd rather love my job and get paid less than get paid more and hate going to work every day.

If you got into the job to be a hero and get rich, get out now, you're here for the wrong reasons. Do your patients a favor.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Amen. I make $5 less an hour than I tried to bargain for when I got hired. The same as BLS part timers in my department. I could make double my salary as an entry level nurse, and at least 50% more if I worked in the city.

But you know what? I'm happy working in my hometown, there is NO commute, and I like the job. I don't complain about the pay.

Sasha

Forum Chief
It would be nice to get paid decently at a job you love. Cant fault anyone for wanting that.

OP
OP
H

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
It would be nice to get paid decently at a job you love. Cant fault anyone for wanting that.

I absolutely agree. I would love to get paid more. What gets me is when people constantly complain about it.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I absolutely agree. I would love to get paid more. What gets me is when people constantly complain about it.

Eh. Don't let it bother you. We don't get paid enough to stress out over the small stuff :p

OP
OP
H

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Eh. Don't let it bother you. We don't get paid enough to stress out over the small stuff :p

Always with the words of wisdom! haha

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
you know what? my job pays awesomely for a kid who no spouse or kids who lives at home with mom and dad.

my industry (as a whole) pays poorly, especially when you get married and want to start and support a family, own your own home and vehicle, go on a vacation once in a while, and have a retirement fund. Oh, and if I want to stay in this industry, I need to work 60-80 hours a week to make ends meet so I can support my family, often working 2 and 3 jobs to do it.

this is the reason why many people leave EMS, not because they don't like it anymore.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
What is less useful than an all-star quarterback, or more useful than the tech starting an IV on Granny after shocking her back to a sinus rhythm?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
My pay isn't bad. It's on par with the median household income in the US. It's more than most people my age, fresh out of college make.

But that doesn't mean my career pays commensurate to my responsibilities, nor to what I would like to see in my bank account.

As long as people get paid millions to play with a ball, and ~$200,000 to waste time in Congress, I'll complain about my pay :D

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
I'm pretty satisfied with how much I get paid. It might not be fantastic, but I have a full time job and I do pretty well for a kid fresh out of school.

SoCal911

Forum Lieutenant
I have my own house on my parents property and they pay all my bills - so all I have is my car payment. For working overtime 80 hours a week I'm pretty satisfied with what I make. For being 20 I'm pretty well off, especially considering most of my friends can barely get 8 hours a week at their minimum wage jobs.

Joe

Forum Captain
I have my own house on my parents property and they pay all my bills - so all I have is my car payment. For working overtime 80 hours a week I'm pretty satisfied with what I make. For being 20 I'm pretty well off, especially considering most of my friends can barely get 8 hours a week at their minimum wage jobs.

THIS!! Its how I feel. I love going to work. I took a 6 dollar an hour pay cut to do this. I wouldn't trade 1 bad day here for a month of good days there.

EFDUnit823

Forum Crew Member

Not complaining about my pay, especially since I took a pay cut to enter this field. However, (and no disrespect) I don’t think one has much ground to say anything about pay when they don’t have to endure the same cost of living as a normal adult. Just saying. :glare:

SoCal911

Forum Lieutenant
Haha sorry to rub it in bud. Im barely 20 and I have a pretty good situation. I'm very blessed and I'm very thankful to be. But for the first 18 years of my life, my family lived in a single wide mobile home and brought in about 20k a year for a 5 person family. Only recently did things change - work accident, father permanently disabled, settlement, father re-entered school and got a much better government position - maybe this makes up for years of hardship?

SoCal911

Forum Lieutenant
I also took a major pay cut to enter this field tho, 18-19 I was a pretty successful as an audio engineer but the money was very dependable and I didn't enjoy the job like I do now.

EFDUnit823

Forum Crew Member
Haha sorry to rub it in bud. Im barely 20 and I have a pretty good situation. I'm very blessed and I'm very thankful to be. But for the first 18 years of my life, my family lived in a single wide mobile home and brought in about 20k a year for a 5 person family. Only recently did things change - work accident, father permanently disabled, settlement, father re-entered school and got a much better government position - maybe this makes up for years of hardship?

Definitely cannot hate on you for having a fortunate situation, especially when prior to was not so fortunate.

EFDUnit823

Forum Crew Member
I also took a major pay cut to enter this field tho, 18-19 I was a pretty successful as an audio engineer but the money was very dependable and I didn't enjoy the job like I do now.

If all you have is a car payment I think you forfeit claiming a pay cut as a sacrifice :p

SoCal911

Forum Lieutenant
I don't want to depress you then with what I used to make ;) not to be conceited but if you dont mind kissing a** to build a reputation and land good gigs the money is excellent.

EFDUnit823

Forum Crew Member
I don't want to depress you then with what I used to make ;) not to be conceited but if you dont mind kissing a** to build a reputation and land good gigs the money is excellent.

Na, wouldn’t bother me, had my own sales company, so I am familiar with making great money. To be honest, I don’t know what an Audio Engineer is. Have an idea, but not sure.