If I hear one more person complain about EMS wages...

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
Hey Hey Hey im not complaining EMS worker is Ontario avg pay is 31.25$ per hour

But as an MFR, you're not making any of that. And who actually in this industry in Ontario says "EMS Worker"? We're medics, Paramedics, PCP's, ACP's or CCP's but no one on the job actually says "EMS Worker." ;)

Steveb

Forum Lieutenant
But as an MFR, you're not making any of that. And who actually in this industry in Ontario says "EMS Worker"? We're medics, Paramedics, PCP's, ACP's or CCP's but no one on the job actually says "EMS Worker." ;)

I wish I was making money lol. I'm still to young I just voulenteer with my service.

jemt

Forum Crew Member
...I'm going to have an aneurysm.

Stop complaining about it and be glad you have a job. If you don't like it then quit, there are hundreds of EMTs out there that would be tickled pink to take your job.

That sucks that the Dominos pizza boy makes more money. I'd rather love my job and get paid less than get paid more and hate going to work every day.

If you got into the job to be a hero and get rich, get out now, you're here for the wrong reasons. Do your patients a favor.

It's not the whole "love your job and get pid less/paid more hate job", It's about who can live a normal life off of 10-15 dollars an hour? Unless you want to live on the poverty level.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Let's be fair here, jemt.

Poverty in the US is defined as a total family income of $22,000 for a family of 4. Yes, at $10/hr, working 2040hr year at 40hrs a week, and relying solely on one persons income, then yes, poverty. However, at $15hr for the same 2040hr year, that's now $30,000, above poverty. Granted, not hugely above...

The national average for a household income is ~$43,300. That's household, usually meaning 2 adults. I make more than that by myself as a Paramedic, working a single job (Not by a huge margin). Granted, I do 48 hour weeks, so ~16% of my salary is built in OT... it's still not bad money. Now... not what it's supposed to be, but not bad.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
It's not the whole "love your job and get pid less/paid more hate job", It's about who can live a normal life off of 10-15 dollars an hour? Unless you want to live on the poverty level.

Exactly. It's a disservice we do to ourselves to embrace the idea of this field being a calling, or special, or somehow having this huge intrinsic worth. Certainly there's some truth to this, but we use it and allow employers to use it to hold back a living wage and working conditions.

Of course it's not the whole story. Education, changes to reimbursment and funding, the separation of the IFT field from EMS and other barriers must also be addressed to make a viable career. (In the USA; we're actually doing pretty well up here. ;) )

jemt

Forum Crew Member
Let's be fair here, jemt.

Poverty in the US is defined as a total family income of $22,000 for a family of 4. Yes, at $10/hr, working 2040hr year at 40hrs a week, and relying solely on one persons income, then yes, poverty. However, at $15hr for the same 2040hr year, that's now $30,000, above poverty. Granted, not hugely above...

The national average for a household income is ~$43,300. That's household, usually meaning 2 adults. I make more than that by myself as a Paramedic, working a single job (Not by a huge margin). Granted, I do 48 hour weeks, so ~16% of my salary is built in OT... it's still not bad money. Now... not what it's supposed to be, but not bad.

Your right, I was using it more as a figure of speech. Most Americans do want to own their own home,have kids, have cars, and have some money left over, which can't be done on an EMT salary.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
How much you need to earn per hour to rent a "cozy 2 bdrm apt."

Remember, the goal is not to make just enough to stay alive, it is to spend 30% or less on housing, the remainder for insurance, food, clothing, debt repayment, and etc...like school, gasoline, and saving to cover depreciation of your automobile and appliances and the unexpected (anything under your deductibles).

http://nlihc.org/oor/2012/
http://nlihc.org/sites/default/files/oor/2012-OOR.pdf
GO to page eight

Tossing out a few:

Massachusetts: $21.96/hr
California: $26.02 (Greater San Francisco: $36.63, the highest)
Hawai'i : $31.68
New York: $23.58
Nebraska: $13.16

GO to page ten for a map

Puerto Rico: $9.88

Here's a 2007 US minimum wage map to compare to the study's:

minimum-wage-0415.gif

http://www.shelleytherepublican.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/minimum-wage-0415.gif

Clickable map from Dept of Labor with current minimum wage by state:
http://www.dol.gov/whd/minwage/america.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

hibiti87

Forum Crew Member
to be fair i live in san francisco and am living off my emt wages. Yes i have 3 other roomates and i eat pasta frequently.

medic417

The Truth Provider

Sasha

Forum Chief
to be fair i live in san francisco and am living off my emt wages. Yes i have 3 other roomates and i eat pasta frequently.

And there is nothing wrong with NOT wanting to live like that and wanting to make a livable wage at your job without having to work a bunch of OT or a second job.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Your right, I was using it more as a figure of speech. Most Americans do want to own their own home,have kids, have cars, and have some money left over, which can't be done on an EMT salary.

EMT is entry level. You can never expect to make any kind of real money at an entry level position.

The mail room clerk at large corporations will never make anywhere near middle management.

jemt

Forum Crew Member
EMT is entry level. You can never expect to make any kind of real money at an entry level position.

The mail room clerk at large corporations will never make anywhere near middle management.

That's true, but even the fact a basic is an entry level position, it still requires schooling. There's jobs out there that pay considerably more without any Kind of schooling besides on the job. Yes I know I can get out and I'm working on that, but it still doesn't make it acceptable what emt's are paid.

Steveb

Forum Lieutenant

How much does a emt-paramedic make?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Long ago..Chevrolet factory workers on the line used to start at about $18/hr (if they had a relative in the UAW), and EMT's were making maybe $8. UAW had loads of work rules, benefits, etc. I didn't have inclination to work on an assembly line. Not until I had two kids, the remnant of student loans, and a mortgage, and turner the cover heading for forty years of age, whereupon I found that job and dug in like a tick. But still doing medicine/nursing.

Steveb

Forum Lieutenant
Long ago..Chevrolet factory workers on the line used to start at about $18/hr (if they had a relative in the UAW), and EMT's were making maybe $8. UAW had loads of work rules, benefits, etc. I didn't have inclination to work on an assembly line. Not until I had two kids, the remnant of student loans, and a mortgage, and turner the cover heading for forty years of age, whereupon I found that job and dug in like a tick. But still doing medicine/nursing.
Do they still make that much?

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
You should be complaining loudly and proudly. EMS in the U.S receive remuneration that is relatively much lower than most other countries.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
That's true, but even the fact a basic is an entry level position, it still requires schooling.

Schooling?

Give me a break.

In many states a barber has 10x more training than an EMT.

Steveb

Forum Lieutenant
You should be complaining loudly and proudly. EMS in the U.S receive remuneration that is relatively much lower than most other countries.
Take cañada for example were the averge EMS worker makes over 30$ when in the states it avg 10$ that makes me sick.....because where i live a mcdonalds employe males 10.50$ ...
-sent from my. BlackBerry