I REALLY hate to ask this

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Well that's where it's dependant on the area, if you are doing what sounds like foot patrol and don't use a vehicle or some such then yea, I could see more of a 'utility' belt type approach. Where you would need more equipment that you can't just reach into a bag or in the truck for. If you do alot of 'foot patrol' type work then I would say a pouch for gloves wouldn't be absured.

On the other hand maybe you guys could get the department to foot the bill or some first responder backpacks that are smaller so you have equipment while away from a vehicle.

A lot of the guys just buy their own stuff, such as bags and stuff. I think that's a little overboard. They store gloves and stuff in those bags, though now a few of the higher-ups are going to duty belt glove holders (the school bought them new uniforms and belts). There are some bags that can be used by those that don't have their own (like myself). However, they are rather large and a pain to carry around. We usually just take stuff out of the car when we go to a call (if we don't just walk).

I think I'll just buy the belt, flashlight holder, and glove holder. I haven't really gotten too much feedback that screams "WHACKER!!!" Now, if I was going to be carrying a bunch of stuff on there that I would never need, THAT would be different. But it's just a few things that I will be using all of the time. And believe me, I will ONLY be wearing it on duty. I promise I won't be wearing it in my free time :p

dmc2007

Forum Captain
My advice would be to hold off on spending money until you get some field time and develop preferences for how you like to store your gear. You may find you like the duty belt better. You may find you don't even use the flashlight. Maybe you will. I keep my gloves in my rear left pocket (changed out frequently) and that seems to work fine for me.

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
My advice would be to hold off on spending money until you get some field time and develop preferences for how you like to store your gear. You may find you like the duty belt better. You may find you don't even use the flashlight. Maybe you will. I keep my gloves in my rear left pocket (changed out frequently) and that seems to work fine for me.

I have had some field time, and I know for a fact that I do not want to keep my flashlight in my pocket. The gloves, come to think of it, will probably just go in my pocket. I will just save the money on the and put it towards a better flashlight. I have a mini-maglight now, but it's not that bright. GREAT flashlight, but not good enough for what I need.

I work at a college at night. I can almost guarantee I'll use the flashlight. For example, though I wasn't on, there was somebody found passed out on the lawn at night. Good time for flashlight use ;):p

I will just store my gloves in a side pocket. I feel that if I have them in a back pocket, the strain of sitting down could affect their strength and possibly put a hole in them.

Last edited by a moderator:

dmc2007

Forum Captain
I have had some field time, and I know for a fact that I do not want to keep my flashlight in my pocket. The gloves, come to think of it, will probably just go in my pocket. I will just save the money on the and put it towards a better flashlight. I have a mini-maglight now, but it's not that bright. GREAT flashlight, but not good enough for what I need.

I work at a college at night. I can almost guarantee I'll use the flashlight. For example, though I wasn't on, there was somebody found passed out on the lawn at night. Good time for flashlight use ;):p

I will just store my gloves in a side pocket. I feel that if I have them in a back pocket, the strain of sitting down could affect their strength and possibly put a hole in them.

That's why I never leave them in for too long.

If you want the flashlight on the belt then I'd concur with everyone else and go with the holster on the pants belt. Duty belt is a lot of trouble for one thing.

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
That's why I never leave them in for too long.

If you want the flashlight on the belt then I'd concur with everyone else and go with the holster on the pants belt. Duty belt is a lot of trouble for one thing.

Yeah, I'm not going to get a whole "duty belt" for just 2 items (flashlight and radio). I'll just get a nylon belt and a nylon flashlight holster, and just thread the belt through my belt loops.

thanks for the help!

Bosco578

Forum Captain
I don't wear a belt at work,half the time I don't even wear pants........^_^

Seriously though, carry on your belt what you ACTUALLY need. My service we are required to carry our narcotics pouch, we are issued radio clips ( the D style ) and pager pouch.

On a different note, LOL @ MelClin.... ha ha, he said "penis" in a post.

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
I don't wear a belt at work,half the time I don't even wear pants........^_^

No comment :ph34r:

Seriously though, carry on your belt what you ACTUALLY need. My service we are required to carry our narcotics pouch, we are issued radio clips ( the D style ) and pager pouch.

You have to carry a narcotics pouch?

On a different note, LOL @ MelClin.... ha ha, he said "penis" in a post.

I was going to comment on that, but my filter got the best of me :p

dmc2007

Forum Captain
Yeah, I'm not going to get a whole "duty belt" for just 2 items (flashlight and radio). I'll just get a nylon belt and a nylon flashlight holster, and just thread the belt through my belt loops.

thanks for the help!

No problem. Best of luck with your class.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
Most EMT pants will take a 1 3/4 or 2" garrison belt. That will be enough to support your radio, or you could put it on a FF strap. Stick a few pair of gloves in one of the many pockets on your pants - if you're any kind of busy, they won't be in there long anyway.

You could probably even get away with one of those little EMT holsters with your shears, light, etc. in it, especially if you don't want to wear the EMT pants.

It's not any one accessory that makes you a potential whacker. It's having a plethora of EMT gadgets festooned upon your person, and things like badges, flashing lights, etc., etc. And more importantly, carrying them for no good reason. If you have to carry a radio on duty, carrying a radio (or having a holder for it on your belt) doesn't make you a whacker. We all need to carry some tools around. For me, it's a few pairs of gloves, a penlight, trauma shears, a scope, and a mini-maglight - but I have a fully stocked ambulance not far away.

Bosco578

Forum Captain
No comment :ph34r:

You have to carry a narcotics pouch?

I was going to comment on that, but my filter got the best of me :p

The medic and EMT each have a narcotics pouch that we carry. Each pouch contains 2 Morphine, 1 versed, 1 Fentanyl,and 1 Lorazepam.

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
The thing is, the head EMTs on campus

Unless you have a much bigger or busier campus than mine (like BUEMS, UMass Amherst, or MIT EMS) , you could wear pajamas and fuzzy slippers, leave your gear in the desk, and be fine most of the time. Not that I recommend that; your flashlight holster should work fine.
spacer.gif

I'm a little concerned by all the personal bags on your service, both because it seems to predispose to excessive equipment purchases and because it means that you never know exactly what's going to your scene. Standardizing and improving your jump kits (and ruthlessly mocking anyone who continues to carry a personal bag) might help.

I also just use the left back pocket for my gloves, because I either have multiple calls each shift or I find them in the washer the next day and throw them out.

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Unless you have a much bigger or busier campus than mine (like BUEMS, UMass Amherst, or MIT EMS) , you could wear pajamas and fuzzy slippers, leave your gear in the desk, and be fine most of the time. Not that I recommend that; your flashlight holster should work fine.

Actually, as of now, that IS what I wear :ph34r:

I kidd, I kidd.

I'm a little concerned by all the personal bags on your service, both because it seems to predispose to excessive equipment purchases and because it means that you never know exactly what's going to your scene. Standardizing and improving your jump kits (and ruthlessly mocking anyone who continues to carry a personal bag) might help.

Yeah, I'm not really sure why they felt they needed to buy their own stuff, but to each his own. They said they did it so they could know where everything is at all times. And these are like full kits (minus oxygen).

I'll get right on the mocking. :p

I also just use the left back pocket for my gloves, because I either have multiple calls each shift or I find them in the washer the next day and throw them out.

I really don't like keeping gloves in my back pocket. Side pocket, fine. But when I have gloves in my back pocket, it just seems like I'm asking for them to be ripped or worn down. But once again, to each his own.

dragonjbynight

Forum Crew Member
I don't see anything wrong with carrying the gloves and flashlight on your regular belt, look around anymore and you will see people with 2 cell phones, a pda and who knows what else strapped there..lol. But as far as whackerish, that wouldn't be to me, It is something you would use fairly often and you need to use whatever will be handy for you. If someone thinks it looks stupid, my opinion is oh well.. I am either considering that or the combo (scissors, light and glove holder) myself. Since I am a Vol. I keep a pair of run pants ready to go, and that is just easier for me. I don't have to try and search for my gear when the pager goes off.

Just my two cents anywho.

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
I don't see anything wrong with carrying the gloves and flashlight on your regular belt, look around anymore and you will see people with 2 cell phones, a pda and who knows what else strapped there..lol. But as far as whackerish, that wouldn't be to me, It is something you would use fairly often and you need to use whatever will be handy for you. If someone thinks it looks stupid, my opinion is oh well.. I am either considering that or the combo (scissors, light and glove holder) myself. Since I am a Vol. I keep a pair of run pants ready to go, and that is just easier for me. I don't have to try and search for my gear when the pager goes off.

Just my two cents anywho.

Thanks for the feedback. I don't really want one of the EMS holsters, but I can see how people would like them.

Summit

Critical Crazy
I put gloves in my cargo pockets. :rolleyes:

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Some places (paid and volunteer) consider duty belts in general to be wackerish. some places (paid and volunteer) consider them to be standard practice, and a normal piece of equipment. my former volunteer agency considers them wackerish. my per diem urban career agency considers them the norm.

on my belt, I have a swivel radio holster, a pair of leather gloves secured with beltkeepers, a glove pouch which I use only if i don't grab a set of gloves when i leave the truck or if my current pair tears, and a horizontal holster for trauma sheers and a mulitool (we can't wear EMT cargo pants per dept policy, only plain ****ies). and it's all secured to my belt using 4 belt keepers. and at the end of the day, i take it all off and put it in my car for the next day.

I only wear it when I am working in a city. suburban EMS shifts or volunteer shifts get the spare radio holder on my trouser belt (or boston leather style holster), and a pair of sheers somewhere on me.

I have yet to keep a flashlight on my belt, other than a small 2AA cell mini maglight with I rarely use.

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Some places (paid and volunteer) consider duty belts in general to be wackerish. some places (paid and volunteer) consider them to be standard practice, and a normal piece of equipment. my former volunteer agency considers them wackerish. my per diem urban career agency considers them the norm.

on my belt, I have a swivel radio holster, a pair of leather gloves secured with beltkeepers, a glove pouch which I use only if i don't grab a set of gloves when i leave the truck or if my current pair tears, and a horizontal holster for trauma sheers and a mulitool (we can't wear EMT cargo pants per dept policy, only plain ****ies). and it's all secured to my belt using 4 belt keepers. and at the end of the day, i take it all off and put it in my car for the next day.

I only wear it when I am working in a city. suburban EMS shifts or volunteer shifts get the spare radio holder on my trouser belt (or boston leather style holster), and a pair of sheers somewhere on me.

I have yet to keep a flashlight on my belt, other than a small 2AA cell mini maglight with I rarely use.

I will be carrying the same maglight.

Most of the higher up EMTs around here wear an actual duty belt (attached to their pant belt). I am just going to go with a nylon pants belt, a flashlight holder, and a glove holder. Plus the radio. that's it.

I know for around here, it wouldn't be considered whackerish. I was just concerned that it would be considered whackerish in other places. I do NOT want to be viewed as a whacker.

But I guess as long as I keep it to a minimum, and only to stuff I need, and I don't advertise all the time what I do, that I should be okay. Correct?