I REALLY hate to ask this

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Alright, so with all the discussion going on around here, I have a question.

I am going to be buying the parts for my uniform soon. I will be wearing black boots, a polo shirt, dark blue dress pants, and a reversible jacket when it's cold (which will just say the first letter of my first name and my entire last name on the right side. No giant EMS! logo on it or anything. Black on one side which will be the one visible most of the time, and reflective yellow on the other).

I am seriously considering getting a nylon duty belt (you know, like the ones police and security wear), and 2 holsters: a glove holster and a small flashlight holster (for my mini maglight, which is a fantastic piece of equipment).

But I do not want to be considered a "whacker." The only things that will be on the belt are the flashlight (I will be working 5-3 AM, so a flashlight is sort of important), the glove holder, 4 keepers, and my radio (I will just clip that on to the belt. I do NOT want a radio holder. Clipping the radio on will be fine. Would this be too "whackery" or unprofessional? Or am I being paranoid?

Please note: I will make up for this non-EMS question with an education question ASAP :)

Eric

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I wouldn't wear a duty belt like that. I have a 5.11 belt that goes into my belt loops just fine. And I had a detachable carrier for my mag light before I got my brigh pen light that wound up in a thigh pocket

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
I wouldn't wear a duty belt like that. I have a 5.11 belt that goes into my belt loops just fine. And I had a detachable carrier for my mag light before I got my brigh pen light that wound up in a thigh pocket

Good suggestion. I want a belt that is functional (I'd rather not carry a flashlight and glove in my pocket, but I will if otherwise is too "whackerish").

5.11 belt, and putting the glove holder and flashlight holder on that? Would that be too bad?

Everybody can throw their honest opinions in. Just don't flame me :p. I'm trying the best I can :glare:

Eric

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Good suggestion. I want a belt that is functional (I'd rather not carry a flashlight and glove in my pocket, but I will if otherwise is too "whackerish").

5.11 belt, and putting the glove holder and flashlight holder on that? Would that be too bad?

Everybody can throw their honest opinions in. Just don't flame me :p. I'm trying the best I can :glare:

Eric

I have enough pockets on my work pants that everything just goes into one of them. I wear either Spiewack or 5.11 pants, and both have lower leg pockets. I keep larges in the left side and XLs in the right side. And I already said I use a bright pen light instead of a maglight

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
I have enough pockets on my work pants that everything just goes into one of them. I wear either Spiewack or 5.11 pants, and both have lower leg pockets. I keep larges in the left side and XLs in the right side. And I already said I use a bright pen light instead of a maglight

Nope, I realize that.

And I went back and read my last post, and I realize I left out a few words that made it sound like I didn't listen to you :glare:.

What I MEANT to say was what if I had a 5.11 belt (or similar) and put the flashlight and glove holder on that. Would that be too bad? Please keep in mind that I want to keep the maglight, not use a bright penlight.

Remember, this is my first EMS experience, and I want to do it right. So I may have some dumb questions. Just be patient :p

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
i have the 5.11 2 inch belt and its fairly strong. I don't like duty belts, and think they look funny. However I have put a glove pouch and maglite on that belt for kicks and giggles one day and it works fine.

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
i have the 5.11 2 inch belt and its fairly strong. I don't like duty belts, and think they look funny. However I have put a glove pouch and maglite on that belt for kicks and giggles one day and it works fine.

yeah, I realize that a duty belt would look kind of funny. But my main concern is whether or not I will look like a tool, which I don't want.

As of now, this is what I am thinking of:
-Nylon belt (2", worn through belt loops, not outside of another belt with belt keepers)
-Nylon mini maglite holder
-Nylon glove holder
Everything would be in black.

Would this be too bad? And by bad, I mean toolish/whackerish.

On a side not, would a 2" belt fit through EMS pant belt loops?

Thanks for the help,
Eric

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
yeah, I realize that a duty belt would look kind of funny. But my main concern is whether or not I will look like a tool, which I don't want.

As of now, this is what I am thinking of:
-Nylon belt (2", worn through belt loops, not outside of another belt with belt keepers)
-Nylon mini maglite holder
-Nylon glove holder
Everything would be in black.

Would this be too bad? And by bad, I mean toolish/whackerish.

On a side not, would a 2" belt fit through EMS pant belt loops?

Thanks for the help,
Eric
look at what your field preceptors and other in field providers in your area are wearing, and follow their lead, if you are worried about being deemed a whacker. Whacker criteria differ from station to station. I personally don't like to carry anything. The only tool i carry on my person is a radio and a pen, but to each his own. i wouldn't recommend wearing a duty belt over your normal belt. I would just wear a black belt that comfortably fits through your belt loops and then put whatever you deem appropriate on that belt.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I do have a "duty belt" that I used while working on the ambulance. However, I reserved it for when I would be wearing my one piece jumpsuit... it has no belt loops. Just keeping the equipment levels down helps lower the wacker/Ricky Rescue look. If I'm wearing an EMS butt pack, I'll move most of what little I need (radio holder) to a strap on the pack or contain it on/in the pack.

I just whittled my personal equipment down to where I could be most efficient with what I had.

Later, I just used an EMS butt pack with my gear in it or attached to it... and wherever I went, it went. Yes, it looked a little overboard, but it was functional.

That being said, look around at the more senior EMS people... they'll show you what they consider to be appropriate for their area. I'm a little bit of an odd-ball though, but not to the point of reaching wackerdom. I just carry what I actually need/use.

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
look at what your field preceptors and other in field providers in your area are wearing, and follow their lead, if you are worried about being deemed a whacker. Whacker criteria differ from station to station. I personally don't like to carry anything. The only tool i carry on my person is a radio and a pen, but to each his own. i wouldn't recommend wearing a duty belt over your normal belt. I would just wear a black belt that comfortably fits through your belt loops and then put whatever you deem appropriate on that belt.

The thing is, the head EMTs on campus where 2 belts: a trouser belt and a duty belt. I'm thinking I'll just wear one: a black nylon duty belt through the belt loops, with the radio, flashlight, and glove holder on it. Not too much stuff. Penlight and stethoscope will go in my pocket.

I don't think 3 items would classify me as a whacker, but I'm not sure. tha't why I'm checking. If I had like 5 items on the belt, that would be a little different. But 3 (2 personal, the radio being mandatory) doesn't seem too bad.

Now if I start wearing EMS shirts and decorate my room with EMS supplies, THEN I might have a problem :p

After all the negativity towards whackers, I don't want to be one.

Thoughts?

Eric

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
I do have a "duty belt" that I used while working on the ambulance. However, I reserved it for when I would be wearing my one piece jumpsuit... it has no belt loops. Just keeping the equipment levels down helps lower the wacker/Ricky Rescue look. If I'm wearing an EMS butt pack, I'll move most of what little I need (radio holder) to a strap on the pack or contain it on/in the pack.

I just whittled my personal equipment down to where I could be most efficient with what I had.

Later, I just used an EMS butt pack with my gear in it or attached to it... and wherever I went, it went. Yes, it looked a little overboard, but it was functional.

That being said, look around at the more senior EMS people... they'll show you what they consider to be appropriate for their area. I'm a little bit of an odd-ball though, but not to the point of reaching wackerdom. I just carry what I actually need/use.

Thanks for the feedback. I won't be carrying around a ton of stuff on the best, just a glove holder, flashlight holder, and radio (just clipped on. I don't really like the idea of a holder for it).

However, one of the problems is that many of the higher EMS people here want to be cops (I'm part of a campus EMS system), so you can guess what they wear. Honestly, it would be interesting to wear a lot of stuff, but it would be fairly stupid as well. We are NOT cops, and I don't plan on being one when I graduate.

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
Put everything in your pockets, go ahead and get a pair of BDU style EMS pants for it. I use my old pairs for all kinds of stuff other than work. Put everything you want to carry in your pocket, you don't need a special glove pouch or maglight carrier.

The only thing I carry on my belt is my portable and my cell phone (I've broken a cellphone in the past putting it in my pocket). Everything else (pen light, shears, gloves if I carry them, field guide, small notebook, pens) goes in my pants.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Just simplify your equipment down to what you need. If it's stuff you constantly need with you, put it on your trouser belt and leave it there. If you find yourself constantly donning/doffing your equipment, a "duty belt" will work just fine.

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Put everything in your pockets, go ahead and get a pair of BDU style EMS pants for it. I use my old pairs for all kinds of stuff other than work. Put everything you want to carry in your pocket, you don't need a special glove pouch or maglight carrier.

The only thing I carry on my belt is my portable and my cell phone (I've broken a cellphone in the past putting it in my pocket). Everything else (pen light, shears, gloves if I carry them, field guide, small notebook, pens) goes in my pants.

I will be getting a pair of BDUs sometime in the very near future. The thing is, I would much rather carry my flashlight and gloves on my belt, where they are easily accessible. My pocket guide, penlight, stethoscope, and anything else will go in my pockets.

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
My pockets are easily accessable, my pockets are 3 inches away from my belt.

To each his own. But would you consider it to be "whackery?"

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
Me personally? Borderline whackerish, but people do their own thing like you said. I personally don't like carrying all those extra pouches and stupid crap on me. I keep what I need in my pants that I need access to. I don't feel like opening up the jump kit everytime I need a penlight or shears, as well shears tend to grow legs and walk off the trucks. I don't carry spare gloves on me as they are on the truck and I can grab a pair or two before we get to the scene.

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Me personally? Borderline whackerish, but people do their own thing like you said. I personally don't like carrying all those extra pouches and stupid crap on me. I keep what I need in my pants that I need access to. I don't feel like opening up the jump kit everytime I need a penlight or shears, as well shears tend to grow legs and walk off the trucks. I don't carry spare gloves on me as they are on the truck and I can grab a pair or two before we get to the scene.

Keep in mind, a fair amount of the time we walk (we're on campus). We do have a car, but we don't always use it.

As long as it's not TOO whackerish, I may just do it. It's not like I will have a whole bat-belt. Just two things and a radio.

Thanks for the help, though.

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Mate I understand the worry about being considered a whacker and granted if you turn up with BVM strapped to your thigh, everyone's ganna rightly think you're a penis, but I don't know that you need to fret so much over some of the finer details.

Maybe I'm being a bit hopeful, but aren't things like this just considered to be indicators of whackers? Indicators of people who are only in it for the uniform and lights...? What if you're Ventmedic but you still wear a theatre's worth of instruments on your belt....do you still get disregarded as a whacker?

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
Well that's where it's dependant on the area, if you are doing what sounds like foot patrol and don't use a vehicle or some such then yea, I could see more of a 'utility' belt type approach. Where you would need more equipment that you can't just reach into a bag or in the truck for. If you do alot of 'foot patrol' type work then I would say a pouch for gloves wouldn't be absured.

On the other hand maybe you guys could get the department to foot the bill or some first responder backpacks that are smaller so you have equipment while away from a vehicle.