I REALLY hate to ask this

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
You seem to have the idea down.

But there's the practical difficulty. How's your call volume again?

I believe that the EMS team here got 120 calls last year. So not a huge call volume (relatively small. Most things are alcohol related, being college and such). The shifts can either be quiet (no calls) or busy (we were really busy for about 2-3 hours one night).

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
I believe that the EMS team here got 120 calls last year. So not a huge call volume (relatively small. Most things are alcohol related, being college and such). The shifts can either be quiet (no calls) or busy (we were really busy for about 2-3 hours one night).

Figured as much. How many of those calls needed flashlights so urgently that they needed to be on your belt instead of with the rest of your gear? The mini-Maglite can go in your pocket or in a jump kit if you carry one and remember to take it out at shift change.
spacer.gif

You're averaging about one call per shift, meaning that most of your time is going to be spent going about your life as usual. Relax.

Sidenote: Don't check pupils, especially on your +EtOH patients, with a mini-Maglite. It's arguably better than nothing, but it's not very nice.

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Figured as much. How many of those calls needed flashlights so urgently that they needed to be on your belt instead of with the rest of your gear? The mini-Maglite can go in your pocket or in a jump kit if you carry one and remember to take it out at shift change.
spacer.gif

You're averaging about one call per shift, meaning that most of your time is going to be spent going about your life as usual.

Sidenote: Don't check pupils, especially on your +EtOH patients, with a mini-Maglite. It's arguably better than nothing, but it's not very nice.

The thing is, I don't have a jump bag. I also stated before (I think it was on the first page) that I don't really like to carry a flashlight in my pocket. And I wouldn't ever check a patient's pupils with a maglite. I don't think I'm THAT stupid :wacko::ph34r:

And the flashlight thing is not really a matter of "urgency." I'd rather have a flashlight with me and not need it, then not have it and need it. I don't carry a jump kit usually (unless we're going to a call), and like stated before, I don't like carrying a flashlight in my pocket. Remember, we also do walk a lot.

Never! :p

Remember, it's not like I'm carrying the same amount as a police officer. Just a flashlight and radio and maybe a cell phone, but that will probably just go in my pocket most of the time.

Last edited by a moderator:

thatJeffguy

Forum Lieutenant
Alright, so with all the discussion going on around here, I have a question.

I am going to be buying the parts for my uniform soon. I will be wearing black boots, a polo shirt, dark blue dress pants, and a reversible jacket when it's cold (which will just say the first letter of my first name and my entire last name on the right side. No giant EMS! logo on it or anything. Black on one side which will be the one visible most of the time, and reflective yellow on the other).

I am seriously considering getting a nylon duty belt (you know, like the ones police and security wear), and 2 holsters: a glove holster and a small flashlight holster (for my mini maglight, which is a fantastic piece of equipment).

But I do not want to be considered a "whacker." The only things that will be on the belt are the flashlight (I will be working 5-3 AM, so a flashlight is sort of important), the glove holder, 4 keepers, and my radio (I will just clip that on to the belt. I do NOT want a radio holder. Clipping the radio on will be fine. Would this be too "whackery" or unprofessional? Or am I being paranoid?

Please note: I will make up for this non-EMS question with an education question ASAP :)

Eric

I couldn't imagine living in such fear of what others thought of me. As a wilderness survival instructor, I've seen some hinky situations. I carry a few things on my person at all times and, sure, people have joked with me before, but it's always joking that "Jeff's probably got a <flashlight, knife, lighter>". If you feel that a MagLite and a glove holder help you in doing your job, why the heck would you be worried what someone else will think? And if someone on-scene is laughing at you for carrying a flash-light and gloves, I bet you'll soon notice that they are the ones that slack in darn near every task they're sent to accomplish. Wear what you need to wear and be honest with yourself. You're being quite paranoid, in my opinion. It boggles my mind that an EMT would laugh at someone for carrying a small flashlight. I guess they have perfect night vision, never drop anything at night and know the number and location of every single set of steps in their AO. Bully for them :) I'll use my SureFire, as I have for years, and the only comments I get are people amazed that a flashlight can be so bright. Wait until you're the ONLY guy with a flashlight, or a multitool, or a pocket knife, or a lighter, and everyone else is scrambling around looking for theirs. Laugh silently to yourself as you pull your whatever out and apply the proper fix.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
The thing is, I don't have a jump bag.

Sorry, I dont think I am coming out from left field with this, but you dont have a jump bag. What assessment and treatment are you providing your patients? I guess I hope a transport truck automatically dispatched when you? What is your role in patient care with a pair of gloves and a flashlight? How many are on your EMS Team? Do you document your care? How are you dispatched? Supplied? Equipped? Insured? Trained?

120 calls/year is not even 1/day. Figure school is in session 8.5 months a year, 255 days. Thats less then .5 calls/day. Do your weekend calls really make up for silent shifts during the week.

I probably shouldnt be one talking, but is it really worth your time?

Feel free to answer offline... there just is something wrong with this equation...

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Sorry, I dont think I am coming out from left field with this, but you dont have a jump bag. What assessment and treatment are you providing your patients? I guess I hope a transport truck automatically dispatched when you? What is your role in patient care with a pair of gloves and a flashlight? How many are on your EMS Team? Do you document your care? How are you dispatched? Supplied? Equipped? Insured? Trained?

There is a little bit of confusion here. I, myself, do not own a jump bag, like some of the people here do. Also, when I am on foot patrol, I do not always carry a jump bag with me. When something happens, if somebody is on foot patrol without a jump bag, is the EMS car is dispatched to the scene, which has all the equipment in it. So in this situation, we would be acting as first responders until the equipment got there. Now, remember, sometimes we DO carry equipment while doing foot patrol. But carrying a bag all around campus, up and down stairs, and through dorms while just patrolling can be a little bit tiresome.

Like I said, when I (or any of the responders, either EMTs or other) don't have a bag on them, they would just act as FRs until the equipment gets there, which usually doesn't take too long. We don't have a transport truck dispatched automatically, but we do have an EMS vehicle dispatched, which has all the supplies we need.

On a normal shift, there are usually 3-4 people working. At least one of them is an EMT-B (sometimes more), and the rest are CPR/First aid certified (basically, first responders). Sometimes, there are observers who are just entering the program. All calls are dispatched over the 2-way radio by the campus dispatch center, and nearly everything is documented. We work very closely with the campus police. As far as equipment goes, we are equipped with BLS supplies (trauma bags, oxygen, OPAs, suction unit, BVMs, etc.) I know we have cervical collars, but I am not sure if we have a backboard. We might. As far as training goes, in order to have any patient contact, you must be CPR and first aid certified. Even then, it is an EMT who does most of the treatment. The FR basically just takes vitals (if they know how, obviously) and fills out the run form with that information, patient information, and anything the EMT tells them. Of course, it is up to the EMT to decide if they want to utilize the FRs in this way, but most do. As of now, this is all I do, but I am in the EMT class and, if I pass, I will obviously be able to do more.

As far as insurance goes, it's a joke. Unfortunately, we do not have malpractice insurance ourselves. It would probably go through the school. I wish we did. We are also not paid, because if we were, we would need the insurance. I think the club officers may be working on changing this, which would be good.

If we can not handle something, or somebody needs to be transported, the local fire department (Westfield Fire, ALS) is called, or the patient will be transported in the EMS car or by campus police to the hospital.

120 calls/year is not even 1/day. Figure school is in session 8.5 months a year, 255 days. Thats less then .5 calls/day. Do your weekend calls really make up for silent shifts during the week.

I probably shouldnt be one talking, but is it really worth your time?

Feel free to answer offline... there just is something wrong with this equation...

We do not do shifts every day, though that may change soon. We only run shifts Thursday, Friday, and Saturday evening (when the college kids are most likely drinking/doing things they shouldn't be doing). All shifts go from 5pm-3am. We also do stand-bys for special events, such as homecoming. As far as the question "is it worth your time?", I would say that yes, it is. We are able to do homework and stuff while working, so it's not too bad. Yes, it can become boring, but we do get calls.

As far as the shifts go, they can either be quiet, semi-busy, or busy. Sometimes there are no calls. Sometimes there's one. And sometimes there are about 5. It all depends on what is happening on campus.

I hope this clarifies everything. If you have any other question, don't hesitate to ask.

mcgrubbs

Forum Crew Member
Eric-

Sorry if this has been mentioned, but.....

I HIGLY recommend and Insructor Belt from The Wilderness, in 1.5" or 1.75".

Here's a link to their site: http://store.thewilderness.com/product_info.php?cPath=43&products_id=2007&osCsid=sfjdbgjvpgqp1apqp5ot41i477

Get the 5-stitch version or the CSM version (has a polymer stiffener in it)

I've been wearing this belt for ten years, almost daily. It is a pants belt that handles damn near everything. I've worn mine carrying an all-steel 5" 1911 w/ spare mags, cell phone, etc plus everythig in my pocket.

It is the original that all others, including the 5.11, have been copied from.

Also- the "mission" (job, task, etc) drive the gear train. We carry what we use. I've carried one/two firearms, spare mags, two knives, cell phone, Surefire flashlight, etc for years. Sometimes, people will kid you about it, but the first time they need something you're their best friend.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shamrock

Forum Ride Along
Howdy medichopeful,

I was originally looking at using a duty belt w/ a few pouches as well. Turning point was springing for a Pelican Little Ed flashlight. You can get them on Amazon for 50-60 bones. I found it more functional than I thought and it can be clipped anywhere without standing out (they come in black as well as the KFC macaroni salad neon green).

I suppose take it with a grain of salt as my two cents come from F/F F/R calls. I got away with the Little Ed and EMS pants. They were relatively cheap, fit the requirements for NFPA station gear, and held shears and PENNNN's (the most elusive of gear!).

I agree though - definitely a fine line for us young guns between keener and weiner.

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Eric-

Sorry if this has been mentioned, but.....

I HIGLY recommend and Insructor Belt from The Wilderness, in 1.5" or 1.75".

Here's a link to their site: http://store.thewilderness.com/product_info.php?cPath=43&products_id=2007&osCsid=sfjdbgjvpgqp1apqp5ot41i477

Get the 5-stitch version or the CSM version (has a polymer stiffener in it)

I've been wearing this belt for ten years, almost daily. It is a pants belt that handles damn near everything. I've worn mine carrying an all-steel 5" 1911 w/ spare mags, cell phone, etc plus everythig in my pocket.

It is the original that all others, including the 5.11, have been copied from.

Also- the "mission" (job, task, etc) drive the gear train. We carry what we use. I've carried one/two firearms, spare mags, two knives, cell phone, Surefire flashlight, etc for years. Sometimes, people will kid you about it, but the first time they need something you're their best friend.

Sorry, I realize I never responded to this. I actually got the whole thing straightened out. I just bought nylon Swenger belt from target, and I've just been using that. Thanks for the info about the other belt, though.

And yes, the mission does drive what gear to carry. And I've kept it to a bare minimum, which seems to be working. I've never needed anything that I didn't carry, and I only carry like 2 commonly used items on my belt, plus a radio.

Thanks for the info!
Eric

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Howdy medichopeful,

I was originally looking at using a duty belt w/ a few pouches as well. Turning point was springing for a Pelican Little Ed flashlight. You can get them on Amazon for 50-60 bones. I found it more functional than I thought and it can be clipped anywhere without standing out (they come in black as well as the KFC macaroni salad neon green).

I suppose take it with a grain of salt as my two cents come from F/F F/R calls. I got away with the Little Ed and EMS pants. They were relatively cheap, fit the requirements for NFPA station gear, and held shears and PENNNN's (the most elusive of gear!).

I agree though - definitely a fine line for us young guns between keener and weiner.

Yeah, I skipped out on the duty belt. It was a little too "police-y" (not a word, I know, but I think it gets the point across :p), and it wasn't worth it. I only carry 3 things on my belt, one of which is a radio. I may buy another light at some point, but I'm really happy with my mini-maglight. Great little device.

And yeah, your last statement is right on. I really enjoying doing this, but I don't want to look like a complete tool. I'm passionate about it, and I really like the whole EMS field, especially learning about everything and learning about medicine. So I think that I'm on the keener side, not the weiner side :p

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Hey medichopeful, I know that it has been a while and you may have already bought it, but...........watch out for those reversable jackets. You really don't want to get someones gooies on the black side on an in town run and then flip the jacket inside out on the head-on you go to for the next call. Even may be the next shift. Because I can tell you that even if you intend to clean it evey time you reverse it, but you WILL forget at least once to clean it before you turn it. And I for one would not want something narsty from a pt rubbing all over me, inside my jacket.

Just my $0.02.........:rolleyes:

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Hey medichopeful, I know that it has been a while and you may have already bought it, but...........watch out for those reversable jackets. You really don't want to get someones gooies on the black side on an in town run and then flip the jacket inside out on the head-on you go to for the next call. Even may be the next shift. Because I can tell you that even if you intend to clean it evey time you reverse it, but you WILL forget at least once to clean it before you turn it. And I for one would not want something narsty from a pt rubbing all over me, inside my jacket.

Just my $0.02.........:rolleyes:

Good point. Thankfully, not a concern, as I got a fleece professional jacket instead. That's been working great.

Of course, now I have to worry about anything just leaking through instead of reversing it on to myself :ph34r::p

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Good point. Thankfully, not a concern, as I got a fleece professional jacket instead. That's been working great.

Of course, now I have to worry about anything just leaking through instead of reversing it on to myself :ph34r::p

:lol: true! Actually though, just pain old fabric will stop tons of stuff. If it is bad enough to soak through a fleece, you might want to wear one of those dorky yellow gowns........ Ha ha ha!

Take care!

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
This thread hurt my brain.