I don't like blood

CodeSurfer

Forum Captain
Yes... seahorses. I think so. Any girls want to start a fund for this?

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
I am sick sometimes in the morning myself, and its not from drinking as I rarely drink, and its certainly not morning sickness, as I am a man...I think some people just get sick on occasion...

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
FFEMT1764 said:
I am sick sometimes in the morning myself, and its not from drinking as I rarely drink, and its certainly not morning sickness, as I am a man...I think some people just get sick on occasion...

That explains alot about you...:p :lol:

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
well could it be sympathetic morning sickness? i mean it happens, you know those 'soul mates' that could care who's undies are who's

(i'll go to my room now)

~S~

ksEMTbabe

Forum Crew Member
The thing I really can't stand is mucous....there's just something about a big, slimy lung cookie that grosses me out. As long as the blood doesn't belong to me, it's no big deal. I've worked MVA's with amputations that didn't phase me, but any time I get a paper cut and see my own blood, I have to sit down before I pass out!

mofiremedic

Forum Probie
Stevo said:
me too....

what is it with some people? , they have to wait until we arrive? think they pay their taxes so it entitles them to puke on an emt? christ on a cracker, i know your sick, ya don't have to prove it ...

where does it say 'puke magnet' in our job 'script anyawys?

~S~
You're pt's pay taxes??? most of mine are too busy buying meth with their welfare checks!!!!:lol:

code4

Forum Ride Along
MMiz said:
In general I don't like blood, gore, and needles. This has never been a problem working in EMS though. As I was checking out that recent thread with trauma pictures I felt sick though. When reading my EMS book or seeing EMS slides I don't get that sick feeling though.

I've found that some people in EMS, like myself, also don't like blood and needles when not working a call. Twice a year we have to do a TB test, and I love watching some of the medics squirm.

Anyone else?

Discomfort is one thing, but there is a specific phobia called Blood-Injection-Injury phobia. This would be manifested far differently than simply being bothered by the sight of needles or injury. People with this phobia often pass out at the sight of blood or injuries. Either that or they go to great lengths to avoid the stimulus. Near-misses or near-exposures can cause a rapid anxiety response, like a panic attack.

It is thought to have a high genetic component, much more so than many of the other specific phobias. FYI, most people have at least one specific phobia. For many it's public speaking. Swimming in deep water, snakes, dogs, etc... are all common ones. But BII phobia runs in families. If you have a first order relative with the phobia, there is something like a 2-5% chance you will have it. That might seem small, but those percentages are much higher than other phobias.

Anyway, it's a legitimate issue. However, people in EMS who have the phobia tend not to last long since it's hard to do your job and be passing out.

The best treatment consists of cognitive behavioral therapy. In-vivo exposure can be helpful for some specific phobias. Meaning that exposing someone to the feared stimulus in short, controlled bouts, and increasing the time and intensity of the exposure can help teach the person to master their fears by showing them that no ill will come. This seems to be effective.

i_drive_code3

Forum Crew Member
stick a needle in my eye...

B) back when my kids were little i hated the smell & sound of vomit, i too was a sympathetic puker so when i started going to emt school my husband was like "yeah right!" LOL...

i haven't run across anything yet to make me spew though the closest was probably a dude who ended up having advanced stomach cancer and had eaten a bunch of lasagna, vagal-ed out & chucked copious amounts of what appeared to be blood covered brain matter everywhere! EWWWW - that was one time i was only too happy to let eager-young-firestud run into the cramped bathroom to get a set of vital signs:)

and i too HATE code browns...arrghhhhh....we keep altoids on the console and the smell of two or more of them suckers in your mouth keeps a lot of odors at bay
:wacko:
and as wussy as it may sound, i am a baby at heart. i can do anything to anyone but i still can't watch getting my blood drawn (and i worked as a phlebotomist!), i almost passed out getting a mole removed off my BACK, and my dr. had to keep the smelling salts close at hand when i got a cortisone injection in my knee! the standing rule around my agency is that if they pick me up they better have the morphine and "convenience" bag ready!!

take it easy all!
*kate*
ps: fingernails take the cake...hate to even think about 'em being all loose and cracked up and EWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
My husband laughed too he thinks I'm a big weeney. I am sometimes but that's besides the point. The hurling issue, I was a sympathetic hurler too until I had the kids, they got me over it thank God.

emtbuff

Forum Captain
The puking doesn't bother me. Blood as long as it isn't mine doesn't bother me either. I don't mind giving shoots to others its when I get blood drawn that doesn't always go over well for me. I know there are a few times where I was about to pass out from having blood drawn especially when they start digging around for a vein. The one thing that I don't do well is feet.

Glorified

Forum Lieutenant
I'd like to bring this thread back from remission and say that as a child of the 90's and the new millenium, violent video games have gotten me well adjusted to blood and disgusting things. :rolleyes:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
As a child (since it is only 2007), there is a big difference from someones real blood and that of a video game.

I do blame video games for increasing the densistivity people have to violence and lack of compassion. I have worked codes, where projectile vomiting occurred and people kept on "gobbling it up" and where people actually had to "step" over the victim as they kept serving burgers and fries of a stabbing...

R/r 911

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I, too, have seem folks stepping over me, when I'm with a patient who slipped and fell on an ice-covered sidewalk. Umm... EXCUSE ME!

Yeah... obnoxious people are the norm, these days. Of course, the converse was that the patient was being assisted by a random passerby, who helped my partner and me get the patient, on strecher, to the ambulance, while walking on a sheet of ice. Turned out the patient was a PERSONAL INJURY lawyer... too.

Anyway... As for blood - I'm cool with blood... it is the smell of half-digested blood from an upper or lower GI bleed that causes me problems.

Glorified

Forum Lieutenant
I am well aware of the difference between real blood and looking at it behind the safety of a computer screen. However, it is still a large factor. If anything it is a good thing not to be grossed out, as you will be a little bit more focused.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
stuff that makes you go ooh!!

Blood does not bother me, but infected tracheotomy's.......and the secretions when they are that dark green color like splint-pea soup,and that "staph" smell...... you know that can give me the eecky "I'm going to lose my last three meals" feeling!:wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:

mfrjason

Forum Lieutenant

FF/EMT Sam

Forum Lieutenant
Trauma Junkies of the world...Unite!!!!!

The only thing that ever had me grossed out was the guy with half a head. He crashed his truck at 120 MPH, hit a tree, went through the windshield, bounced off the tree, went back through his windshield and the back window of his truck, bounced off the tailgate hard enough to leave a dent, and went facefirst into the pavement...Much grossness ensued...

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
trauma!

Sam, I am traumatized, I need a glazed dounut STAT! :p

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I believe Grand Theft Auto has prepared me for life in the South Bronx...or not.