I can't lift!

alcurran

Forum Ride Along
We practiced lifting patients (classmates) yesterday and at 5'3 and 125lbs, I fell into a stereotype. It caught me off guard because I thought I would have less trouble lifting the average sized people in my class. It was really embarrassing. How do I work on this? Is it something I can do in the gym or is it something that will come in time?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Dead lifts in the gym. Get with a trainer and work on it. I have seen plenty of smaller people lift amazing amounts of weight. Building strength and endurance and learning how to do it correctly are the important things…

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Strength isn't something that happens passively. Optimal lifting form and coordination with your partner will help, but you need to get stronger.

The best exercises for the physical demands in EMS include front squats (Olympic style, like what you see with the clean and jerk), deadlifts, barbell/dumbbell/seated rows, prone planks, and hammer curls. Get stronger and your lifting problems will go away. Lifting someone in a controlled environment like a classroom is one thing, but it's much more difficult to lift patients in the field, with tight or poor leverage areas like lifting a patient out of a bathtub, a patient wedged between a bed and a wall, taking a Reeves stretcher down several flights of winding stairs, for example. People blow out their backs and shoulders and tear their biceps on a regular basis in this field. It's best that you properly prepare yourself so that you or your partner get injured and have to quit EMS permanently.

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
We practiced lifting patients (classmates) yesterday and at 5'3 and 125lbs, I fell into a stereotype. It caught me off guard because I thought I would have less trouble lifting the average sized people in my class. It was really embarrassing. How do I work on this? Is it something I can do in the gym or is it something that will come in time?

I'm 5'8" and 143 lbs (if I'm holding a 3 lbs weight)...I have been told I have the physique of a middle schooler.

A ton of your capability for lifting is predicated on your technique, followed by strength, followed by how many firemen show up for lifting assistance.

If you have bad technique for lifting/moving, you will hurt yourself and/or your patient, and will have a hard time moving people. Form, power, then speed.

That being said...it is only rarely that you have to actually lift somebody to any significant height. More often you're lifting the stretcher to some height. I suggest you review videos of proper lifting technique for both the stretcher and people/objects prior to making any other attempts.

I would also follow the sage advice of DEMedic and 46Young w.r.t. appropriate weight training. This will help too.

chief

Forum Probie
Dead lifts in the gym. Get with a trainer and work on it. I have seen plenty of smaller people lift amazing amounts of weight. Building strength and endurance and learning how to do it correctly are the important things…

^^^^^^^ That coupled with working on grip strength and good technique and you'll be able to lift almost anyone.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I'm 5'8" and 143 lbs (if I'm holding a 3 lbs weight)...I have been told I have the physique of a middle schooler.

A ton of your capability for lifting is predicated on your technique, followed by strength, followed by how many firemen show up for lifting assistance.

If you have bad technique for lifting/moving, you will hurt yourself and/or your patient, and will have a hard time moving people. Form, power, then speed.

That being said...it is only rarely that you have to actually lift somebody to any significant height. More often you're lifting the stretcher to some height. I suggest you review videos of proper lifting technique for both the stretcher and people/objects prior to making any other attempts.

I would also follow the sage advice of DEMedic and 46Young w.r.t. appropriate weight training. This will help too.

How true.
A danger period comes when you come off your peak condition and remember technique but no longer have the physical capability to use them! Like she/he said, form, power, then speed I. (And call for help asap).

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
Deadlift.

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
I am a big guy (6' 1'' and 290 lbs) and built like a linebacker. I have a lot of muscle and generally never have a problem lifting (wanna know how much I bench? :D )

However I do work with a lot of "little guys" (and gals) who are relatively tiny by comparison but never have a problem lifting either. Size isn't the only determining factor when it comes to lifting. I always chuckle when smaller people want to go it alone and haul patients into and out of the ambulance solo, but I'm often impressed by the 5 foot 110 lb variety who are able to move people around about as well as I can.

Technique plays an important role, as does conditioning. Just because you're small doesn't mean you can't lift. Learn how to lift properly then hit the gym and you'll be hauling people around with the best of them.

As an aside, I have no tolerance for partners who cannot (or will not) help lift patients. You darn well better be able to help me get that cardiac arrest patient out of the bathroom when it counts, or I'll tear you in half!!

Anjel

Forum Angel
I am a big guy (6' 1'' and 290 lbs) and built like a linebacker. I have a lot of muscle and generally never have a problem lifting (wanna know how much I bench? :D )

-------------------

You darn well better be able to help me get that cardiac arrest patient out of the bathroom when it counts, or I'll tear you in half!!

Ya I have no doubt you would lol

All of our guys are itty bitty. I wouldn't mind working with a guy like you. :)

I'm 5'4 and I'm not gonna say how much I weigh. Lol but I'm a bigger girl. But I can lift. I've never had an issue and never had a complaint. I've worked with girls bigger and smaller than me and sometimes it isn't pretty. I had one partner that could barely lift an empty stretcher let alone with someone on it.

We met up with a supervisor. Put me on the stretcher and before every shift she lifted the stretcher with me on it x 5 times. She eventually got better. It all depends on how much work you are willing to put in.

J B

Forum Lieutenant

Good that you've recognized this weakness NOW, so you have some time to work on it.

The stronger you are and the more conscious you are of body mechanics, the lower your chance of injury. Maybe. I haven't seen studies confirming this (do they exist?), but that seems logical to me.

Dan216

Forum Crew Member
Yep get in the gym like everyone is saying. My advice to you is to work one muscle group per session and fatigue the crap out of them. So often I see people in the gym curling, then squatting, then bench press, then pullups etc.. These lifts all work different muscle groups, but you won't tear your muscles down to make gains lifting this way.

Create a workout, and log every repetition/set you do. It seems like a hassle, but the next time you do the same workout, try to "up" your weight on the reps/sets. It's extremely motivating being able to go back and look where you started, and compare it to where you are now.

WickedGood

Forum Crew Member
One of my classmates from P school can fit on a Broslow tape (yeah really!) and weighs about 100lbs soaking wet. She couldn't lift crap when we first started. She went to the gym and worked hard and we all watched her improve. It can be done! She just got a job with a big city service and didn't have a bit of trouble with their lift test.

bbmtnbb

Forum Crew Member
I'm a female 5'3" and barely 110 lbs, when I started my field training I could NOT lift...OMG it was bad! My FTO told me that was my only problem and then the next day had me lift him in and out of the ambulance 8 times in a row. He is not the small type, I was quivering and about to drop him but mustered the strength to get him loaded one last time. I KNEW I had to get to working out on heavy lifting with low reps to failure to build muscle and improve my technique. Squats, using my legs and having my elbows pulled in tight and hands up against my body. (I thought my elbows were to be even with my but it should be your hands and elbows tight to the body but extended backwards-hope that makes sense)
Practice, practice, practice. Technique, technique, technique.
I still work out and make sure you do so with heavy weights and only a few repetitions. Lift as much as you can that causes you to be able to only lift up to 8 times total. Your arms or legs should be quivering and shaking. This is called total failure. This will tear down the muscle and then (with proper diet and protein ingestion) will build up more muscles. Not sure if you said you were girl or guy- but a girl does not nor will not have the male hormones in the amount that will cause her to 'look' male (unless male hormones or something like it are taken).
Lucky for you, lifting is required for work and getting hired/staying hired BUT not for passing class-GET TO WORK and know if I could do it then you can!!