Hurricane Irma

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
just flew over the stream of evacuating traffic... not very re-assuring there are still this many people evacuating now... hours before

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
just flew over the stream of evacuating traffic... not very re-assuring there are still this many people evacuating now... hours before

So many people waiting til last minute. Just wrapping up my shift at work this morning and watching the news. They interviewed the "rider's of the storm" smh. The lack of brain cells in these people and the responses were absolutely ridiculous.

We are the primary water & dive rescue resource for two counties where I work for FD and are on standby for deployment if needed. I love helping people in need, but as I get older I have a real difficult time putting my life in jeopardy for total idiots who have been told to evacuate... I digress, we shall see what happens. Stay safe NysEms!

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
So many people waiting til last minute. Just wrapping up my shift at work this morning and watching the news. They interviewed the "rider's of the storm" smh. The lack of brain cells in these people and the responses were absolutely ridiculous.

We are the primary water & dive rescue resource for two counties where I work for FD and are on standby for deployment if needed. I love helping people in need, but as I get older I have a real difficult time putting my life in jeopardy for total idiots who have been told to evacuate... I digress, we shall see what happens. Stay safe NysEms!

I'm right there with ya my man. I never understand why we're sent out when people just neglect to leave. I have an odd feeling we will need u with the predicted storm surge... our pilots are predicting far worse then the news is and I'm more inclined to believe them. The people I'm with are all air ops, we have pj's USCG rescue swimmers, and then my team who's the least qualified. Right now we're just sitting waiting... we've done our practice runs, and the pilots have set their Max's for flights. I'm getting to old for this and I'm not that old...

Appreciate the thoughts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Ton of water-Check
Batteries-Check
Guns-Check
Ammo-Check
Tons of non perishable food-Check
Grab Bag at ready-Check
Mattress prepositioned near safety tub-Check
Interior Closet stocked with weapons, knife, food, water- Check
First Aid Gear and then some at the ready-Check
Flashlights distributed throughout the house-Check
Gas Lamps and fuel-Check
Propane-Check
Reg Gas-Check
Chainsaw lubed, fueled and ready-Check
Escape SUV combat parked in garage, packed, fueled and ready-Check
2 Way Radio ready-Check
All chargeable devices fully charged-Check
Weather Radio ready-Check
Helmets/Gloves in various places-Check
Kayak-Check
550 Cord-Check

Being that I will now be on the bad side of the storm (to the right) this means high winds and tornadoes.....my area has had tornadoes before....I am ready!

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Being that I will now be on the bad side of the storm (to the right) this means high winds and tornadoes.....my area has had tornadoes before....I am ready!
HH-60 pavehawk helicopter- Fueled and ready for tasking
HC-130 Hercules- missed the cut to be on that but im sure its doing something productive.
Kind of a sweet patch one of the Pj's gave me.. won't ever wear it, but will be cool to have.
upload_2017-9-9_14-1-0.png

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
No jolly green giant?

I'm not a pj so I'm more then content with what I got lol. These guys are badass though. Super humble, only reason I got it is because I did their training and swimming stuff to try and get a tiny little bit of respect which means more then anything given our current task.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Any EMTs or Paramedics watching this thread...be sure to see the post I just made in the EMPLOYMENT section ASAP.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Any EMTs or Paramedics watching this thread...be sure to see the post I just made in the EMPLOYMENT section ASAP.
I saw it but a quick google search (very quick) didn’t show any results and I doubt my company would give me the time off sadly.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
anddddd we have floridas first casualty.... from looking at a helicopter....
Kids and their phones, really getting aggravating.

OP
OP
SandpitMedic

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
anddddd we have floridas first casualty.... from looking at a helicopter....
Kids and their phones, really getting aggravating.

What?

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Leaving at 6am tomorrow to fly out to Texas and drive in.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
So excessively understaffed from what I can gather so far.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
So excessively understaffed from what I can gather so far.

I’m fairly sure AMR is going to regret not sending out more resources in the initial stage. Instead they are going to be reactive instead of proactive.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
I’m fairly sure AMR is going to regret not sending out more resources in the initial stage. Instead they are going to be reactive instead of proactive.

Wouldn't surprise me. We're grounded via our pilots. The rescue situations will be rather tricky since all air assets are as Far East as possible and as far west will be hit the hardest. So minimal will be spent on scene. Meaning we have to be pretty quick with our rescues(unlike Harvey where we could hover for a while). Although tonssssss of hc-130 Hercules here capable of flight refueling. Only people with boats I've seen have been Miami sheriffs and the USCG. Idk what these people are thinking but it sure ain't right.

OP
OP
SandpitMedic

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Agreed. On Thursday we drove a convoy of FEMA rigs from Houston back to Phoenix where they are staged... and then we dispersed home to our local ops...

After 10 days on the Harvey deployment and halfway to Florida we got the order to demobilize.

We were very much hoping to go right on to Florida.

Now I'm on standby again for a redeployment.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Agreed. On Thursday we drove a convoy of FEMA rigs from Houston back to Phoenix where they are staged... and then we dispersed home to our local ops...

After 10 days on the Harvey deployment and halfway to Florida we got the order to demobilize.

We were very much hoping to go right on to Florida.

Now I'm on standby again for a redeployment.

More likely then not you'll be on your way this is pretty bad so far. And this is just the outer bands right now. We haven't even hit the "oh sht" part yet.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Wanted to add this but it said kid dirt pal soooo

"The 18 foot predicted storm surge for the Naples area hasn't come yet. And that's where most of hurricane fatalities come. We won't be able to get out for hours after that hits either. Only possible saving grace is water temp if people can swim." Add that To my last post

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT