Hurricane Florence

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Anyone else going?

Should be flying out tomorrow. Keeps changing where we will be staging. Sounds like initial plans may have been too close to the action.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Yep. Battening down on Maui. Second hurricane on this vacation...:cool:
Lane pretty much missed us on Oahu more or less, but dang, Maui and Big Island got flooded pretty good, and now Olivia is like on a direct path for Maui again... :/

Luckily Olivia is supposed to be "only" a Tropical Storm when it makes landfall last I heard, so we shouldn't get battered as bad as they're fearing the Carolinas might, Florence is what, a Cat 3 or something still?

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah. Florence is the potential Killer.
Olivia...”meh”, according to the BTDT Locals, who I always listen to. Should be just a rain dump on the islands... HH6 and I have fud and snax, and booze. I will say that Maui is a beautiful green due to the last storm.
Ports are Whiskey/Zulu, so no re-ups for a day or so.

I do LOVE vacations in the Hurricane Season!!:eek::D:D:cool:

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Be safe all. Sending positive thoughts your way.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
Looks like Olivia is settling down...I DID have a “Tropical Storm Olivia” at the bar. I thought it would be a glass of water, but it turned out to be a rum drink...

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Looks like we arent going for prestorm activities. EMAC requests are out there but the one for NC fell through, possibly filling one for SC but there seems to be some bureaucracy getting in the way.

Were also getting ready for Issac, depending on that track we may send an IAT to the Virgin Islands

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
It's supposed to hit us head on.... Several state USAR teams are being prestaged in the Carolinas, but the latest projections are that the coast will be hit hard and that flo will hang a left and clobber south carolina, instead of taking a direct path to the state capital.

I've already been reassigned from the urban county station to the rural one for thursday, and will probably spend must of the weekend clearing downed trees from the roadways.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Friends on Indiana Task Force 1 are on the way, not sure where they are going to be staged though

charliefox42

Forum Probie
Well, this changes the game a little...
STGn8Kh.jpg

Stay safe y’all!

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
We have too many internal vacancies to deploy anyone (I mean that's not what the schedule says but hey what do I know). I'm an AMR DRT member, but can go because of said vacancies at my FT job. Grrrr.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Be safe everyone.
Should be worse than Harvey and near Katrina bad.
I wish I was still in the game.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
They’re hiring short term PSD...
Who is “they,” and why do you constantly use military terminology? Most of these folks have to google what you’re saying.

You’re here, you’re in “the club.” It’s cool to speak plain English. You don’t have to use military jargon on an EMS forum. Welcome to the forum by the way.

OP
OP
VFlutter

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
For those of who with prior FEMA deployments, any good to bring or must have items? Will be a 7 day trip.

Also, dumb question since I am from the midwest, what is the weather like post-hurricane? Hot and muggy or do the temperatures drop?

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
For those of who with prior FEMA deployments, any good to bring or must have items? Will be a 7 day trip.

Also, dumb question since I am from the midwest, what is the weather like post-hurricane? Hot and muggy or do the temperatures drop?
Hot, humid, rainy.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

No clue on weather.

Extra socks, phone charging cables, and wet wipes/body wipes are all a must.

charliefox42

Forum Probie

Lots of deodorant, dry underwear and socks and a good, double insulated water bottle.