How to have gloves on you at all times

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
I implied your crush ;) so I started it all.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I'm going to respectfully ask all of you guys to drop it. Please and thank you.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
Steering us back on topic again...

Sometimes the mositure from the hand sanitizer is the only way I can get those gloves on. When you have shrek-sized hands and impeccably long fingers with knuckles wider than pop cans, that little bit of moisture goes a long way. The nitrile gloves seem to work better for me; the old latex ones would tear whenever I put them on and rip across the top whenever I bent a finger. Plus, latex causes allergic reactions, so I consider those an obsolete tool of the devil. Why can't they just make gloves to fit the incredible hulk?

I use nitrile and have no issues getting them on my hands unless my hands are wet from sweat etc. Are you sure the sanatize isn't hurting more than its helping? Also, get a box of XL gloves.

And as for the carrying too much stuff thing; it has proved smart many times. I do a lot of hiking, fishing, and ATV muddin' so you had better be prepared unless you want to make room in your veins by oozing out some extra blood. And, you never know what's gonna happen. I have found that if you have all your crap together and have an ER in your backseat, nothing usually happens. However, when your only supplies are a lousy 4x4 and a pair of gloves, all hell breaks loose and you're most likely going to be in the middle of it.

A camping first aid kit is a lot different than an EMS jumpbag. Quantity and materials are very different. Also, you only need the first aid kit when camping you don't need the camping first aid kit for a trip to the store or to go to school for the day. similarly, the EMS jumpbag is for EMS. You don't need it to go camping or go to the store or go to school.

I used to be all laid back and have the "I'll deal with it whenever it happens" attitude, but painstaking experience has forced a change of viewpoint upon me. So, I learned my lesson and now I don't ever leave the house without my stuff.

If you want to keep an expanded first aid kit in your car to be prepared, that's fine, but you don't need a jumpbag unless you need it for work. Very few people do. You definitely don't need to carry it with you at all times.

The people here (myself included) have been trying to help you and give a new guy some advice. All of us have tried to be nice about it, but I'm staring to think you don't get it.

If you show up to class with all of that on your belt, YOU WILL BE MADE FUN OF. They might not necessarily do to your face, but NO ONE WILL TAKE YOU SERIOUSLY. You do not want to look like a whacho! Er... Whacker! Medics at the first company i was hired at refused to carry things on their belts as it made them look unprofessional. The EMT-Bs had to carry the radios and pagers and that was all we carried on our belt (some of us had a personal cell phone too). Unless you are working in a specialized field of EMS (tac, wild, water, etc.) you won't need much more on your belt than your radio. I've posted this before and I'll do it again here for your sake. This is what I carry when I'm on shift:

Right pants pocket:
Wallet

Left Pants pocket:
Keys, cell phone if not on my belt

Right Inner cargo pocket:
Notepad, safety glasses, tissue pack (I have allergies)

Right outer cargo pocket:
Pens (2), sometimes a pair of trauma shears, sometimes a penlight

Left cargo pockets (empty)

Back pocket:
Gloves

Belt: Radio (if not in back pocket)

That's all you need! I know of a few who carry a pocket knife either on their belt or in a pocket, but you don't need everything you carry. Hand sanatizer is good, but you don't need it within reach all the time. I actually don't use the stuff and just wash my hands at hospital after pt contact and once again after cleaning the rig. Also before I eat and before and after I go to the bathroom.

OP
OP
paramedichopeful

paramedichopeful

Forum Lieutenant
understood chief. yeah I guess I could probably lighten up a little. it is a little old having a duffel bag full of stuff taking up space in my truck, so I'll probably be assessing what I do/don't need and adjusting my equipment according to such. thanks. :)

subliminal1284

Forum Lieutenant
Hopeful all you really 'need' is a good basic first aid kit and a cpr mask. Anything beyond that you need to let the professionals take care of.

Sail195

Forum Lieutenant
I put a pair in my pocket on the way to a call and a pair on, oh and I keep a few in my truck when im not on the rescue but those get used more for checking oil lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Not having a go, but I don't quite understand why you'd even need gloves in your pocket. Here there are a couple of boxes next to the driver/pasengers seats, and another set of boxes out the back. Put a set on when you jump out at a job.

My little bag of goodies
The bag my sphymo came in has been stuffed with other goodies that come in handy. So I have:
- bp cuff.
- a cheap set of ears.
- a few band aids and alcohol swabs (amazing for everything, they get all kinds of stains out/off/away).
- some betadine cream.
- paracetamol, panadeine (para/codeine combo), asprin, an ant-acid, and some berrocca tablets. All of them almost exclusively for hangovers of various severity.
- triangular bandage, some other kind of bandage (crepe I think) and some gauze.
- tape
- a couple of 21 gauge needles that come in handy for all kinds of everyday things surprisingly often. In an absolute emergency they can also double as tooth picks.
- a pair of gloves, I don't think I'll ever need to use them and probably shouldn't given that they're about 6 months old.
- a thermometer and pen torch (it came free with a magazine subscription...SCORE).

This is basically my houses first aid kit/medicine chest/home-for-my-BP-cuff that fits conveniently into a bag about the size of a small purse so that I can easily chuck it in my car when I go on holidays, or intend on drinking my weight in lime rickies.

guardian528

Forum Lieutenant
so you had better be prepared unless you want to make room in your veins by oozing out some extra blood.

i think you'll be just fine oozing some blood...

Sometimes the mositure from the hand sanitizer is the only way I can get those gloves on.

now, granted, i have never put hand sanitizer on directly before i put gloves on, but i feel like that would only hinder putting gloves on. I mean, i work on the beach, so i've put gloves on sweaty hands, or hands wet from just coming out of the ocean, and that makes it hell. dunno how the moisture from hand sanitizer would be different, seems like it would grab and stick on the gloves just the same

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
Not having a go, but I don't quite understand why you'd even need gloves in your pocket. Here there are a couple of boxes next to the driver/pasengers seats, and another set of boxes out the back. Put a set on when you jump out at a job.

Ok, that set get ripped or really heavily soiled on your way to the patient or after patient contact. Now what? Do you have another box in your jumpbag?

Sail195

Forum Lieutenant
Ok, that set get ripped or really heavily soiled on your way to the patient or after patient contact. Now what? Do you have another box in your jumpbag?

thus why I have a pair in my pocket and if we are going to a trauma I will automatically put 2 pairs on my hands so I can quickly have a clean set for a second pt or if they rip

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
We carry heavy duty gloves between the seats so as one exits the vehicle they have a pair, as well we have 4 sizes in the back as well, so one can change if need be.

R/r 911

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
One pair in each back pocket. Just makes sense to have easy access to something as common as gloves.

Be prepared in case something happens in front of you while eating lunch or waiting in line. Going to and back from ambulance takes a bit and doesn't look great (public relations wise).

The second pair is for my partner, in case a glove rips, two patients on call, and multiple other reasons.

I only carry supplies on my person that do not hinder and are used often. As Vent said, be aware that friction may compromise integrity of gloves in your pocket. They realistically get switched out every few calls, though.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
One pair in each back pocket. Just makes sense to have easy access to something as common as gloves.

Be prepared in case something happens in front of you while eating lunch or waiting in line. Going to and back from ambulance takes a bit and doesn't look great (public relations wise).

The second pair is for my partner, in case a glove rips, two patients on call, and multiple other reasons.

I only carry supplies on my person that do not hinder and are used often. As Vent said, be aware that friction may compromise integrity of gloves in your pocket. They realistically get switched out every few calls, though.
Every FEW calls? Why not EVERY call? I hope that is what you meant!

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief

Extra gloves in pockets go every few calls. I keep like 6-10 in my pocket. Put them in there at the beginning of shift. It's in case i forget to grab gloves on the way out or in.

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief

Negative.
I don't switch out my backup pairs every single call. I'll use them if I do a quick switch during a call to pick up equipment. Or when I glove up again at the hospital to transfer patient over. Or when I get back to the ambulance to clean.

I only keep a couple in there. Too many and my pockets bulge, and higher chance of a tear if it (because they get rotated through less often).

Sasha

Forum Chief
We keep gloves on the back of the stretcher.. I have never felt the need to have backup gloves for that reason.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
Negative.
I don't switch out my backup pairs every single call. I'll use them if I do a quick switch during a call to pick up equipment. Or when I glove up again at the hospital to transfer patient over. Or when I get back to the ambulance to clean.

I only keep a couple in there. Too many and my pockets bulge, and higher chance of a tear if it (because they get rotated through less often).

Ok, I gotcha now! I use my "backup pair" first and then stick a fresh set in my pocket again.

We keep gloves on the back of the stretcher.. I have never felt the need to have backup gloves for that reason.

I used to do that with the strykers but there isn't any space on these fernos for that!

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
And you're not always immediately next to your stretcher (working on someone in tight quarters or with a tight/awkward exit). Or when eating at a restaurant, etc. Or walking out to ambulance bay and a critical patient is driven up. Countless situations where it becomes very convenient.

I don't even feel them and can't see them in back pocket, yet reduces regloving to literally a couple seconds. The convenience is great.

Sasha

Forum Chief
And you're not always immediately next to your stretcher

Ah true, I work (and love) IFT, I am never without my stretcher.