How to have gloves on you at all times

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm a little geeky. Keep a pair in my belt loop so I don't have to reach into a pocket. I had a small belt pouch but got so used to slipping an extra pair in a loop I kept forgetting the pouch.

reaper

Working Bum
And you're not always immediately next to your stretcher (working on someone in tight quarters or with a tight/awkward exit). Or when eating at a restaurant, etc. Or walking out to ambulance bay and a critical patient is driven up. Countless situations where it becomes very convenient.

I don't even feel them and can't see them in back pocket, yet reduces regloving to literally a couple seconds. The convenience is great.

They can wait, till I acquire a set!;)

firefighter170

Forum Probie
Alright little guy, Im fairly young older than 16 but still young. I work on a IFT/911 truck as an EMT-IV. I have never even had a use for a canteen on my belt during work much less off duty, and I have never ran into a postion where a random loose pair of gloves in my cargo pocket gave me an issue in the 5 seconds it takes to put them on. If you show up to class or even just walk around a firehall like that you might as well as give everyone a reason to make fun of you. When I was in emt school there was a guy who came to class everynight with a cardiologist littmann, cpr mask on his belt, those 75 dollar shears and a scanner stuffed in his pocket; to this day he is still not licensed he got too caught up in wanting to be an emt/medic that he didnt learn the skills he thought if he had the gear he was an emt...wrong. While I know I'm not the smartest or the dumbest emt out there I know when to exercise good judgement and common sense on how I present myself. When Im on duty I carry the minimal gear on me that I have to :: top left pocket-keys, left cargo-gum and cell phone, left leg-copenhagen, left back-radio, top right-knife, right cargo-shears pen and on wrecks a window punch(takes forever for rescue to get on scene) right leg-nothing. If I know I have multiple patients Ill put several pairs on and just peel them off as I need to. I have never had an incident where i needed something that wasnt either in my jumpbag or within arms reach in my truck. Heres how I look at keeping bandages,gloves etc in my pocket: when I crash on the couch in the station I dont empty my pockets so that stuff would get crushed and stuff, when i throw my turnouts on I dont need stuff on my belt to hang out my gear. Not trying to be a jerk to you buddy but just chill out a bit and get done with school then you can worry about "scrubbing in" to put a band aid on someone, trust me you'll get tired of being so clean and will just be happy sometimes to get a drop of sanitizer. Plus who wears gloves anymore??haha Just kidding

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
They can wait, till I acquire a set!;)
Exactly the problem. You can wait (and will since BSI comes frist), but that's not always best for patient, public relations, and interest in doing something.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
Exactly the problem. You can wait (and will since BSI comes frist), but that's not always best for patient, public relations, and interest in doing something.
Agreed, Its a PR nightmare. We had a situation where LEOs were holding cspine and bleeding for us when we got there. They were wondering WTF we were doing taking so long to get out of the truck and when we did, why were stood just next to our truck. We were geting on our ballistic vests in the rig and not much more than that. So when we got to scene, and it was messy, we each put two pair of gloves on. That took probably 15 seconds but to them it seemed like much longer.

I will now ALWAYS put on gloves when wer're inbound to the scene now. Not gonna make that mistake again especially with LEOs freaking out. I didn't hold it against them through as they were stressed and they apologized for yelling later and thanked us.

medic417

The Truth Provider
It takes no extra time to reach in the jump bag or the cot or the ambulance for gloves depending where you are one of them is available. No need to carry them.

reaper

Working Bum
Agreed, Its a PR nightmare. We had a situation where LEOs were holding cspine and bleeding for us when we got there. They were wondering WTF we were doing taking so long to get out of the truck and when we did, why were stood just next to our truck. We were geting on our ballistic vests in the rig and not much more than that. So when we got to scene, and it was messy, we each put two pair of gloves on. That took probably 15 seconds but to them it seemed like much longer.

I will now ALWAYS put on gloves when wer're inbound to the scene now. Not gonna make that mistake again especially with LEOs freaking out. I didn't hold it against them through as they were stressed and they apologized for yelling later and thanked us.

When you are responding to a call, then you should already have your gloves. He was talking about in a store or restaurant.

If I feel that I need gloves to help the pt, then they will wait till I get them. No one comes before ME!

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
I come before you, to me. :p

And you both come before me to both of you, so you better have your freaking gloves when I run up to you bleeding out. Think anyone who's been at our company for a year or two had a severly critical medical or trauma dumped on them as they walk out of the ER to their ambulance.

Just yesterday I had a glove break while crouched in an odd position. Regloved and didn't miss a beat. On the next call, patient urinated while we carried her. Switched gloves and carried equipment out with delay. It just happens way too often to have them handy.

It's like having a pen on you. Yeah, I could keep on the patient compartment shelf area and on gurney only...too inconvenient.

PeterB

Forum Crew Member
I think it's a good idea

I think your idea is cool and inventive. I notice that non-inventive people usually have that phrase to say about others, "You have too much time on your hands."

Have YOU come up with any original ideas lately?

Peter

Sasha

Forum Chief
I think your idea is cool and inventive. I notice that non-inventive people usually have that phrase to say about others, "You have too much time on your hands."

Peter

There is being inventive, and then there is being a whacker.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief

Peter
Inventive unfortunately does not equal useful. Otherwise we'd have a ton more of rich inventors in this world.

Sure, I could probably design a system that keeps count of how many glofves I put in the pouch so that I would know how many are left without having to open the pouch, and i could probably install a quick deploy mechanism that would pop out two at a time at 5 meters/second, but I don't b/c I know its useless and it over complicates things. It's known as "Over engineering" in my field.

what do you carry on your belt?

And why on earth would I need anything more on me (EMS-wise) than gloves, pen, penlight, pad, radio, and maybe steth? And further besides the pen, why would I need to carry on my person any of that while off duty?

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief

Peter

Or they don't say anything because they're to busy being useful:p

>Developing a cold fusion reactor - Useful.
>Thigh holster for BVM - Whacker
>Fix the global economic crisis - Useful.
>The 'recommended' window of your Amazon.com account consists entirely of EMS t-shirts - Whacker
>You study for many years at your dojo, train hard in the gym, buy a big knife and carefully confiscate the spleen belonging to whoever created BigBrother - Useful.
>POV that is more of a mobile Christmas tree than a car and you refer to it as a Mobile Tactical Command Centre - Whacker
>Discovering a cure for people-who-walk-too-slowly-in-front-of-Melclin...itis - Useful

Which category do you think "developing a new and complex method for fitting gloves into an already crowded utility" belt fits?

Besides I did come up with a original idea. I have discovered a way to waste my time by posting patronizing lists on EMS forums to avoid studying for uni.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
Cold fusion reactor? I have one in my basement. I haven't paid for power in awhile! I developed it when oil hit 100 a barrel. I'm working on the economy right now. I was going to fix it before I called it a day today, but my friend's sick in the hospital so I'm going to visit her instead. Drats, I guess the economy will have to wait for first thing monday!

Seriously though? EMS T-shirts from Amazon.com? I don't have a single EMS T-shirt. And the only EMS related shirts I do have are my uniform shirts!

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Cold fusion reactor? I have one in my basement. I haven't paid for power in awhile! I developed it when oil hit 100 a barrel. I'm working on the economy right now. I was going to fix it before I called it a day today, but my friend's sick in the hospital so I'm going to visit her instead. Drats, I guess the economy will have to wait for first thing monday!

Seriously though? EMS T-shirts from Amazon.com? I don't have a single EMS T-shirt. And the only EMS related shirts I do have are my uniform shirts!

I have an EMS shirt! But it has my company logo and name on it ;]