how to get/stay in shape

amg1322

Forum Crew Member
i just finished my emt training and will hopefully be starting the academy in a few months. i am not in horrible shape. but i definitely want to get in kick *** shape. what does everyone do to get in good shape or keep in good shape.. do you have a regular gym workout? do you go to crossfit? or boxing? i'm just looking for something that everyone recommends will help with overall shape and help me through training... help please! :glare:

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Running, cycling, and crossfit. I despise weights. Lol :p

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Just a heads up, this is more for educational and job related training. We have a "health and fitness" section.

Anyway, if you are serious about getting in shape I cannot stress becoming a forum member over at bodybuilding.com over anything. I've been bodybuilding for 5 years now on and off and it makes me feel great. I went from a scrawny 138 to my current 180.

Second thing, obviously you need to join a gym. I personally recommend weight lifting with cardio integrated. Cardio is important for your overall health but you will better do your job if you have some muscle behind you. Lifting weights does burn substantial calories even while you rest. (Healing)

The BIGGEST thing for your training and overall health, diet diet diet. A favorite saying of mine is "abs are made in the kitchen." You won't get anywhere on the stereotype EMS diet.

Thricenotrice

Forum Lieutenant
Bodybuilding.com seconded. Really good info if you know how to weed out the bad.

Used to be addicted to those forums

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Bodybuilding.com seconded. Really good info if you know how to weed out the bad.

Used to be addicted to those forums

Just stay away from "the misc" section and you'll be fine...

OP
OP
A

amg1322

Forum Crew Member
Just a heads up, this is more for educational and job related training. We have a "health and fitness" section.

Anyway, if you are serious about getting in shape I cannot stress becoming a forum member over at bodybuilding.com over anything. I've been bodybuilding for 5 years now on and off and it makes me feel great. I went from a scrawny 138 to my current 180.

Second thing, obviously you need to join a gym. I personally recommend weight lifting with cardio integrated. Cardio is important for your overall health but you will better do your job if you have some muscle behind you. Lifting weights does burn substantial calories even while you rest. (Healing)

The BIGGEST thing for your training and overall health, diet diet diet. A favorite saying of mine is "abs are made in the kitchen." You won't get anywhere on the stereotype EMS diet.

thanks for the input. i went ahead and created an account on bodybuilding.com theres tons of stuff there! any specific workouts you would recommend or any certain links on the site i should look into?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Moved to Health and Fitness.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
i don't mind the weights, i definitely rather do that then running lol and i'm looking into crossfit i just can't seem to find a reasonably priced program in my area

If you look into crossfit and you want to join a CF gym, I'd recommend only joining one for a month or two. They all seem to be quite unreasonably priced, and most all of the workouts you can do from home or at a normal gym. The 1-2 months can just be used to see the workouts, see how they're structure, and learn correct form.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
The CrossFit box here, they call them "a box" not "a gym", is very price friendly for paramedics, firefighters and other first responders. And mine also offers a "fundamentals of CrossFit for beginners" it's kind of encouraging to be able to learn all the Moves with zero stress. I find most of the CrossFit people are very nice, super encouraging and a lot of fun to work out with.

But yeah, it is a little bit more expensive than your typical nine dollar a month gym membership fee

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
If you look into crossfit and you want to join a CF gym, I'd recommend only joining one for a month or two. They all seem to be quite unreasonably priced, and most all of the workouts you can do from home or at a normal gym. The 1-2 months can just be used to see the workouts, see how they're structure, and learn correct form.

???:rofl:

Personally I find crossfit people to act like they are part of a cult...

Thricenotrice

Forum Lieutenant
Just stay away from "the misc" section and you'll be fine...

That used to be half the fun! Ha

I agree that crossfire guys/gals act like its a cult (stickers on cars and so on) but I have seen it work very well for many people (never done it myself). It's definitely a great cardio workout without having to jog on a treadmill staring at the person in front of you for an hour. I personally would just never be willing I fork out that kinda money

eprex

Forum Lieutenant
If you're on a budget, find a decent jungle gym in your area. There's one a few blocks from my house that has parallel bars so I go there instead of the park right in front of my house:D. Pushups, pullups, chinups, muscle ups, dips, hanging leg raises, jump squats, and one legged lunges/squats are all you really need to get in shape. Sprints are superior to long distance running. It's when you want to put on mass that weights come in to play.

If you lack motivation, get a gym membership and preferably a partner. Focus on form, not numbers. Better to deadlift 225 than permanently damage your back for 315 when you aren't ready. Squats are ideal for EMS workers as well. Shoot for as low of a depth as possible without rounding your back. Stretch to ensure loose hamstrings. And for god's sake push from your heels when lifting, not the toes.

Crossfit is an option but it's incredibly expensive and more of a "feel good and stay motivated" type deal, rather than some superior way of training. If this is the best way for you to stay motivated and push yourself, then perhaps it's worth the $100+ monthly membership. I'd rather rock climb!

Last edited by a moderator:

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I drank the CrossFit kool-aid a while ago. We used to go to the local box on-duty since a co-worker owned it. I can dl over 500#, run a sub 6 min mile, do 30 ring muscle-ups in sub 8:00 (bw 215#), and I can also go up 16 flights of stairs with 100 extra# of PPE and equipment and not be useless when I get to the top.

Lost a ton of fat with Paleo too.

I got my start back in the day with www.rosstraining.com check out the site and his YouTube videos. Crushed the CPAT training like him (joke test though).

eprex

Forum Lieutenant
I drank the CrossFit kool-aid a while ago. We used to go to the local box on-duty since a co-worker owned it. I can dl over 500#, run a sub 6 min mile, do 30 ring muscle-ups in sub 8:00 (bw 215#), and I can also go up 16 flights of stairs with 100 extra# of PPE and equipment and not be useless when I get to the top.

Lost a ton of fat with Paleo too.

I got my start back in the day with www.rosstraining.com check out the site and his YouTube videos. Crushed the CPAT training like him (joke test though).

And you could have done all of this without crossfit. I'm not ragging on you, I just want people to understand that crossfit is not a magic pill for getting in awesome shape. Motivation, effort, and consistency are.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
And you could have done all of this without crossfit. I'm not ragging on you, I just want people to understand that crossfit is not a magic pill for getting in awesome shape. Motivation, effort, and consistency are.

However, many people like myself can't bear the monotony of weightlifting, and get bored with it incredibly easy. Motivation, effort, and consistency are much easier to maintain when you don't dread going to work out. CF offers another means to get in to good shape without having to spend hours at the gym doing chest and biceps.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
The motivating factor for me is, CrossFit cost money. If I'm paying for it, I'm going.

I also like the positive feedback. That helps to keep me engaged.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard

Perhaps, but CrossFit is one-stop shopping for well rounded GPP. On your own, you might figure out a few things, but not be able to piece it all together. A well rounded crossfitter can do decently at most physical endeavors without having doneit before specifically. I can do fairly well at a 5k, I can C&J more than BW, do basic gymnastic skills, I can still keep up with BJJ players even though I haven't rolled regularly in years. In fact, I have more stamina on the mat at 36y/o than I did at 24 y/o back in my Blue Belt days.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard

If you like bb.com, you''ll love www.t-nation.com

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard

The pricing is actually appropriate. The business model is the same as any Martial Arts studio.

Ccommercial gyms make their money by signing up a lot of customers for cheap knowing most will hardly show up if at all.