How to eat right on duty?

b2dragun

Forum Crew Member
I know most people will disagree with this but I swear by it and I have been doing it for 9 months. Google "Chaos and Pain" and look for his Predator diet. I would only recommend this if you work out. It is a ton of protein shakes, but I can get protein shakes in anytime during my shift. I am never hungry and I feel great. The guy that writes the blog is a pioneer, he is also strong as :censored::censored::censored::censored:. I eat for $60/week following his program.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Really? I don't feel like I've eaten anything after a protein shake. Its just flavored water. It has nutrients but it isn't filling to the stomach.

AGill01

Forum Crew Member
I try to prepare foods at home to take with me. That way my husband has stuff to eat while I am gone and I don't have to go out and buy fast food while at work. There are times we have a long distance transfer so we have to eat on the road but we take snacks to so we aren't starving by the time we stop to eat.

rujero

Emergency Services RN, NREMT
UPDATE: Now I have lost a total of 51lbs with this diet in 6 months with no exercise. Now that I am more or less at my target weight, I will modify this diet to include more protein and electrolytes as I move toward the next stage: Light Lifting (body weight exercises). My portions will need to increase slightly as well.

-r

I am a big fan of several inexpensive healthy foods. This is pretty much all I eat and I have lost 35 lbs in 4 months without the gym. My energy levels have been higher too.

Drinks
1. Water (with lemon)
2. Tea (green or black)
3. V8 or generic equivalent (low Sodium version)

Foods
1. Tuna (in water, strained)
2. Brown rice
3. Hard boiled eggs (no yolks)
4. Raw vegetables (celery, carrots, broccoli)
5. Raw fruit (apples, pears, plums, bananas)
6. Roasted almonds
7. Make your own salad
8. Fat free light yogurt.

Now if you add sugar to your tea, mayo to your tuna, butter to your rice, salt to your eggs, peanut butter to your celery ect then these foods become less healthy, but all of them are relatively cheap. They have good shelf life in the fridge and cover most of your dietary needs. I also take a multi vitamin and calcium supplement every day to get what I may be missing. If you eat small servings of this stuff continuously throughout your shift instead of a couple large meals your metabolism will constantly be going and you will get to a healthy weight and stable level of nutrition. It can really make a difference in your energy level, your skin, your sleep quality and other things people usually don't associate with diet.

-r

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
UPDATE: Now I have lost a total of 51lbs with this diet in 6 months with no exercise. Now that I am more or less at my target weight, I will modify this diet to include more protein and electrolytes as I move toward the next stage: Light Lifting (body weight exercises). My portions will need to increase slightly as well.

-r
that seems kinda rough and very strict, no chicken or turkey to mix it up?

stickclicks

Forum Probie
I am new to EMS and still adapting to the schedule but I find myself snacking through my shift (only 12 hours) instead of eating a big meal half way through. I'll buy bulk ingredients and make up 2 weeks worth of trail mix and dried fruit. I might pack a PB&J or some salsa and corn tortilla chips too. Even though I am a vegetarian and avoid dairy if possible, I still enjoy a warm meal, which is next to impossible as we don't have stations to go to during our shifts. I agree with most everyone who says bringing food from home is the way to go. There are way too many tempting fast food joints to screw up a diet, be proactive and don't put yourself in the position of having to "find food" on shift as that is when you splurge and end up with the Arby's Entrails Special. Instead, always have some food with you. ^_^