How to eat right on duty?

SoCal911

Forum Lieutenant
Okay I'm 20 and I'm going to get hypertension and diabetes in the next month if I don't change this... It's to the point where I feel sick all the time. All I get the chance to eat is the nastiest hole in the wall fast food that east LA has to offer.. How would you suggest I eat better on an Emt salary?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Bring your lunch/dinner from home.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Bring healthy food with you as well as plenty of water.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Hard on an emt salary. Fresh healthy food is expensive... But you could get a mcdouble for $1

Sasha

Forum Chief
Just think of the grease as lubrication for your arteries so the blood cells slide through.

CALIFORNIA

Forum Ride Along
fresh food is not expensive, this is the most bull:censored::censored::censored::censored: excuse and I hear it a lot. I used to shop at whole foods once a week while working a job I made less than $10/hr at. If you know how to cook, what to buy, and prepare for the week, you can eat well and not break the bank. If you're looking for convenient, quick, and easy... maybe stick to fast food.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Starbucks on way to work. 4.00
Mcdonalds for breakfast 6.00
Burger king for lunch 6.00
Mexican food for dinner 8.50
-----------

24 dollars will buy plenty of fresh healthy food at a grocery store.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
fresh food is not expensive, this is the most bull:censored::censored::censored::censored: excuse and I hear it a lot. I used to shop at whole foods once a week while working a job I made less than $10/hr at. If you know how to cook, what to buy, and prepare for the week, you can eat well and not break the bank. If you're looking for convenient, quick, and easy... maybe stick to fast food.

I cooked dinner last night at work. $5/person for grilled chicken, salad, green beans and roasted potatoes. Learn to shop and buy whole real foods. If you don't know who to ask, lurk in the produce section and ask the cutest girl who has the highest number of different colored foods in her basket.

Double bonus!

bigbaldguy

I cooked dinner last night at work. $5/person for grilled chicken, salad, green beans and roasted potatoes. Learn to shop and buy whole real foods. If you don't know who to ask, lurk in the produce section and ask the cutest girl who has the highest number of different colored foods in her basket.

Double bonus!

Double bonus indeed. I used to find standing in the produce section of whole foods/central market with a helpless look on my face was a very effective way of meeting older women with decent jobs.

If preparing your own meals is too much work (it is for me) look into something like "my fit foods". They have preprepared healthy meals. I noticed there are several "my fit foods" copy cats in some of the nicer chain grocery stores that offer similar healthy options without the brand name price.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Double bonus indeed. I used to find standing in the produce section of whole foods/central market with a helpless look on my face was a very effective way of meeting older women with decent jobs.

If preparing your own meals is too much work (it is for me) look into something like "my fit foods". They have preprepared healthy meals. I noticed there are several "my fit foods" copy cats in some of the nicer chain grocery stores that offer similar healthy options without the brand name price.

Safeway's eating right brand comes to mind. The prices are very reasonable and a lot of the food is quite tasty.

OP
OP
SoCal911

SoCal911

Forum Lieutenant
Ooo! Double bonus, I like the sound of that! Subway has been my food of choice as recent, but it gets old. Im going to try my hand at shopping tonight, maybe I'll find that double bonus.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Like others have said, it's not all the expensive to buy, fresh food. I usually make dinner at home the night before shift and then have the left overs the next day.

My biggest problem is determining exactly what I want to cook. However, I have found a couple of good food blogs by spending a little bit of time using Stumbleupon.

bigbaldguy

Safeway's eating right brand comes to mind. The prices are very reasonable and a lot of the food is quite tasty.

Haven't seen that one but "my perfect fit" meals at Kroger (I think it's Ralphs in Cali) are one of my favorites and you can do breakfast, lunch, dinner and a snack for around 20 bucks.

movimini

Forum Ride Along
A lot of places have healthy options nowadays. Just make sure to examine the nutritional information to make sure what you are eating is actually healthy.

CBentz12

Forum Crew Member
If your anything like me then a sandwhich on Oatnut bread will do. I usually take 4 slices of ham, 4 slices of turkey and 4 slices of roast beef with miracle whip and mustard. Drink a liter of water while eating and continue to drink water while on shift and I guarantee that you will get full and stay full. I jave lost 22 pounds since January following this for lunch with Cheerios for breakfast and chicken with any kind of side item you like.

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
Hard on an emt salary. Fresh healthy food is expensive... But you could get a mcdouble for $1

I went to a local grocery store to try and buy healthy food for my shift a few says ago. $15 got a pretty big premade salad, foot long sub, a pint of iced tea, and a box of those 100calorie pack of chips.

MochaRaf

Forum Crew Member

Double bonus!

Want to transfer to my department?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I went to a local grocery store to try and buy healthy food for my shift a few says ago. $15 got a pretty big premade salad, foot long sub, a pint of iced tea, and a box of those 100calorie pack of chips.

And that's just the "premade" stuff, if you're willing to make a sub for yourself you'll save even more! I make the most elaborate sandwiches for work along with a bag of fruit, a cookie or two, and some sort of semi-healthy snack food. I tallied it up one day, cost me like 5 or 6 bucks. Sure you could go to Micky Ds and get the same amount of food but it won't taste as good and won't be nearly as healthy.

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
Seriously I am also 20 been working ems since 18. I feel the same way. I used to be a CC runner before now I am 20lbs heavier lol last month started bringing my own food and lots water. Running a few times a week now also.

Or

Just eat once a day. That's what I do :) jk

Last edited by a moderator:

Syk

Forum Probie
I tend to stick with Subway for lunch and almonds whenever I need a snack - or catch a call on the way to a Subway. Granola bars are also pretty nifty if you're on a busy shift - though I must admit the Granola bar's seem to be an acquired taste - they are pretty cheap and rather healthy I believe. They'll also fill you up like a meal in most cases.

Also water and an hour at the gym after work before heading home for the night help to balance things a bit, at least in my personal experience. It's not too bad on a basic salary here in Mississippi.

Last edited by a moderator: