How old were you?

kittaypie

Forum Crew Member
EMT at 18, hopefully will finish medic school 2 months before my 21st birthday.

how do people get EMT-B under age 18? i had to wait until 18 to apply for the class. and how do you get hired as an EMT-B under 18?

TheMowingMonk

Forum Lieutenant
EMT-B at 18, Will be finishing medic school right after i turn 23.

And you know what they say, what ever age you get into EMS is the age yous top maturing. lol

Manic_Wombat

Forum Crew Member
18 when I started my basic class, 19 when I got my certification. Still thinking about medic school.

resq330

Forum Lieutenant
EMT at 18, hopefully will finish medic school 2 months before my 21st birthday.

how do people get EMT-B under age 18? i had to wait until 18 to apply for the class. and how do you get hired as an EMT-B under 18?

In VA you can take the class and get certified before you turn 18...you just can't practice as AIC.

I started my EMS life when I was 15 as a Junior Member in my vol squad.

PhilipM3

Forum Crew Member
I was a lifeguard from 15-16, but I started EMT-I school at 24. I'll be 25 when I graduate in Sep 2010.

RescueYou

Forum Lieutenant
14 as a sports medicine trainee
15 as a lifeguard
16 as an EMT-B

All depends on what you qualify as true EMS

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlton

Forum Probie
This thread is kinda old, but it's still relevant to me (and Google brought me here because of it. :) )

I was going to do the down-and-dirty summer semester starting in a few weeks, but decided fall is better for myriad reasons. By then I'll be almost 41 and 41 at the end of the semester.

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief
EMR @ 26, will probably be 27 or 28 by time of EMT completion.

1-2 years of exp. as EMT, 2 years school, and I hope to be a certified EMT-P by 32 at the latest.

EDIT: I too feel old. I spent 18-23 getting a Bachelor's degree in a completely unrelated field, and the next three years working FT to pay back the bills for said degree, just to go do it all over again now. :wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:

lilgibby

Forum Ride Along
ill be 21 im taking my practical tomorrow for my md state exam in 7 hours and i cant sleep, took my written yesterday. looking to enlist into the navy next year as a corpsman ( hopefully get the fmf pipeline the first time) then ill serve my five years get out head back to school and become a paramedic. at least thats the plan keeping my fingers crossed.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
14 when I joined the fire department as an explorer.

First time getting ceritified in CPR I was around 10.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Got licensed at 18 and started as a student-trainer/EMT for a D1 hockey team. Started with an ambulance company at 19 the next summer.

Craig Alan Evans

Forum Lieutenant
I became an EMT-A at 16, a Shock Trauma Tech(Basically an EMT-Enhanced, IVs, Intubation, and a few drugs, no EKGs)at 18, a Cardiac Tech (a paramedic without the pathophys, Virginia's paramedic back in the day)at 21, and a Paramedic at 24. That all started 25 years ago...wow, time flies when you are having fun. If you get a job you love you don't have to work a day in your life :)

Anjel

Forum Angel
21 when I became a licensed EMTB.

I'll be 23 when I test for medic.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Got my EMT and first ambo job at 18.

I'll be a medic at 21 later this year

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief
EMT-B volunteer at 20
EMT-B paid at 29
Paramedic at 34
Now I feel really old :rolleyes:

I'm hoping my age will give me an advantage in hiring. Two people with same industry experience and training/education, one 18 and one 28, I'd probably pick the 28 y/o myself. Lets hope everyone else thinks like I do. :p