How many survived your EMT class?

AngelEyes

Forum Probie
We started out with 30 and finished with 24.

EMT-B course was two terms (about 6 mos.)
75% on quizzes and tests were considered failing, that is were we lost most of ours was at mid-term and finals.

sunbee

Forum Probie
our class had about 40 ppl, at the end of the course (3 wk program), about 38 ppl, most passed

abuan

Forum Crew Member
i was part of the first city and county of honolulu emt recruit class that started in july of 2008.

we started with 21
graduated 19
16 are still on the road
and 4 of those 16 are currently in paramedic school

the second recruit class had more disastrous stats. they started with like 25 and graduated 14. they're one on one now working as primary crew.

irish_handgrenade

Forum Lieutenant
I started off with 22 perspective fire fighters in a college based fire academy. I was the only only one who chose EMS over fire, and chose to go on with my education. I went on to an intermediate class of 6. 4 of us went on to medic, and one dropped the first minimester. The three of us joined 3 others and as of right now only 3 of us got our course completion, and I'm the only one to have my medic. Only one of them is close to getting hers she is retaking the written very soon.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
they started with like 25 and graduated 14. they're one on one now working as primary crew.

That's not disastrous. It's a sign that the instructors are holding up at least a marginally acceptable standard for the students. Disastrous is where you have 95% pass rates and the students come out incompetent. If you're not weeding out a third of the class before you get to the credentialing examinations, you're either not trying hard enough (or you're being selective enough in who gets into the programs in the first place, which is seldom the case). Of course, I also think the passing cutoff for all tests should be at least 80-85%.

Last edited by a moderator:

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
our class had about 40 ppl, at the end of the course (3 wk program), about 38 ppl, most passed

You went to an EMT mill.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Answering the title

No one died in my EMT class.

Spirit

Forum Ride Along
My emt class started with 33. We took our final written last night and there were only 12 of us. out of the 12, 10 passed. Tomorrow we take our final practical, who knows how many will pass that.

We lost 3 people in the first week because they couldn't take being picked on XD

Last edited by a moderator:

John E

Forum Captain
Say what?

"We lost 3 people in the first week because they couldn't take being picked on XD"

I know I'm older than most of the posters here and not up to date on what the cool kids are sayin these days but WTF does that even mean?

"Couldn't take being picked on..." Was this an EMT class or high school?

John E

Saywhat

Forum Ride Along
Damn.. .100??? my class started with probably 17... one or two of them left the first few weeks... one guy couldn't even multiply by two when doing pulse and resp... and then the rest of us passed the practical except one gal. She broke the o2 tank when trying to crack it.... i'm not sure how she did that but she failed right there. and i think 3 more didn't make it past the written final.

It must really suck... i wouldn't know what to do in their shoes but luckily they are giving them another shot in a few months. Good luck to them!

curt

Forum Crew Member
My EMT class started with 24, we dropped to 12 in one quarter, and dropped to 7 by the next, and finished the year with 5. Everyone who took the registry passed, but there was one that kind of dropped off of the face of the earth after the class and never took the registry. We had a hardcore instructor, and a lot of people went in thinking it would be a cakewalk, I think.

My Medic class started with 14, dropped to eight after the first day, and finished with five.

Stephanie.

Forum Captain
Charleston SC

21 Students signed up, Several had taken the class before, Volunteer FF's and a few 911 dispatchers.. I didn't know what an EMT was until I was transported in an ambulance myself.. Led me to my career & valedictorian of my class. with 17 graduating and only 9 getting their NREMT & State Certs.

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Started in August 09 with 30 (15 day and 15 night class). Lost 1 first semester, during second semester we had 2 drops. So class down to 24 after 1 semester. Second semester almost over so any remaining cuts will have to not get through medical emergencies. The we got third semester. Everyone has already made it through cardiology and pharm though.

ihalterman

Forum Crew Member
We started 2/16/10 with 35 students. We just finished ER rottations and are down to 12. Only 9 of us can test for license.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Started the winter EMTB class with 32. Lost 4, gained 1 (transfer), lost 1 and will lose another 2-3 when the dust clears at finals. Of the 24 who will pass, 2-3 will likely never test for licensure. The average 32 student Medic class ends with about 20 passing. Same with Spec.

On average I/C's can expect to lose 20% of his/her students for a variety of reasons. Sometimes I lose more, sometimes less. NR only looks at first round pass rates but I'll keep track on first and second attempts. It takes a year for an instructor to see an accurate pass / fail rate IMHO.