How many survived your EMT class?

NepoZnati

Forum Crew Member
I believe my class was around 100 but now, 3 weeks to the end, we are down to the half... I guess school tried to keep them all for the money reasons but poor attendance and poor grades got best of them.

ZombiEMT

Forum Ride Along
24 to 8

My EMT class started out with 24. By the end of the semester there were only 8 of us left... :mellow:

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
My EMT class started out with 24. By the end of the semester there were only 8 of us left... :mellow:
Did you go to SJCC? I heard those exact numbers from previous students who couldn't maintain an average of 80%+ to pass the class, and the current instructor talked about it.

I believe my class started with 36. We'll find out what it is when I finish.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZombiEMT

Forum Ride Along
Did you go to SJCC? I heard those exact numbers from previous students who couldn't maintain an average of 80%+ to pass the class, and the current instructor talked about it.

I believe my class started with 36. We'll find out what it is when I finish.

Yep.

pinknsassyemt

Forum Ride Along
I think our class started around 35, and we only lost 3. One due to poor testing scores, and two because of financial reasons. So far I know of 5 who took the NREMT, and all five have passed so far... Praying for the rest!

cookiexd40

Forum Crew Member
emt class started with 18 and ended with like 9.....fire academy started with 22 and ended with 11

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
My EMT class started out with 24. By the end of the semester there were only 8 of us left...

That sounds about how any health care training program should operate. It should be a weeding out process as much as an educational one. That said my EMT class started with about a dozen (don't recall exactly....it was over a decade ago) and only one person didn't pass. He had to drop out because of his wife falling ill. My EMT-I course had a similar experience with only two people not passing the class out of about 10-12 students.

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
For EMT class I lost about 5 or 6.

Paramedic class, 5 are gone since it started.

EMTMama

Forum Crew Member
In my intermediate class, 36 started out. They claim to have about a 50% attrition rate, and I know that after one make-or-break exam, at least four of us (myself included) didn't get to go on. :mellow: I'll try again in the fall.

HNutley

Forum Probie
As an instructor I usually lose one or two but then again I volunteer teaching EMT classes and usually have 7 to 10 students in my classes. As far as the pass rates, I usually have one that has to redo the written may be two.

Motojunkie

Forum Lieutenant
My class started with about 50 and after mid-terms (where they drop you if you don't have an 80) there's only about 30 or so left.

281mustang

Forum Lieutenant
We started with 25ish and had 18 or so more onto the second semester, I never went to the "graduation" so I don't know how many actually passed. The pass rate was a little lower than I was expecting considering how easy the course was.

During the second semester we had a student that was on his third attempt of just the second half of the course, I don't know if he ever passed.

MidwestFF

Forum Crew Member
Deleted

MidwestFF

Forum Crew Member
Started with 24 students now down to 14 with a month to go.

Registered for Paramedic classes last week to start off in the fall.

LNL07

Forum Probie
My EMT-B class is about 4 months long (Jan. 20th-May13th), 2 classes a week, 4 hrs. each class. We just got done with our 4th test. There are 8 of them + the final. We started with 30 and there are 17 left so far. Everyone else wants the class to be split into 2 semesters but IMO it's way too slow as it is:)-I have a 98% in class.

Twix623

Forum Crew Member
My class started with 30, went down to 17 at the end. People simply didn't try in my class, figured it was like high school or something. 5 people alone dropped after the first module. Then some people decided that they could miss a day or two, thinking there were no consequences. :glare:

In our Trauma module, 17 took the practical & written exam, with only 6 people passing the module including myself. Basically as a class, we had to go over it again for the people who didn't pass.

emt_irl

Forum Captain
20 orginally in my emt class.
4 dropped out before day 1.
1 dropped out after day 2 and im suprised the rest besides 4 or 5 of them stuck it out

AVPU

Forum Lieutenant
Started with 28, ended with 28. But I took a month-long, full-time WEMT class, so maybe that's why.....

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
Started with 45. (~700 applicants)
After Semester 1 we had 28.
After Semester 2 we had 26.
After Semester 3 we had 23.
Graduated 21. To the best of my knowledge all 21 were successful at their Provincial exam.

This attrition rate is about standard for PCP programs in Ontario.

We lost people for a variety of reasons.
- Some withdrew when they realized they weren't that committed to the job (~4 in 1st Semester)
- Some failed their lift tests. (~5 total)
- One failed their Preceptorship in fourth semester
- One failed their final practical scenario (epically and surprisingly)
- The rest failed due to academics.

MidwestFF

Forum Crew Member
I think so far the only thing that has surprised me more than the attrition rate in our EMT class is the difference in the number of students that started A & P to not even make it half way. We had 29 or 30 start A & P 1 and now we are down to 8 with a month to go. I like this small class we are learning more and instead of lecture it is more of a round table discussion on the subject at hand with the instructor leading the way.

Our EMT class is now down to 12 officially out of 24 with a month to go.