How many of you carry a traumma bag in your POV

Sasha

Forum Chief
This is not just about being on the road, many other situations present themselves. I don't stop for every fender bender. And why on earth would a Medic be in the way of a responding crew? You become part of the crew and work together.

Lol oooookay you have obviously never done this before.

They dont want your help. For all they know you are some emt drop out or someone who can pass the state but not get a job.

Responding crews have the firemedic ego.

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Sasha

Forum Chief
What is tapatalk? I need to get this, is it for your phone?

I wouldnt recommend it. It doesnt always work and likes to send my posts while im still typing them. Mycrofft makes me have to open it in browser anyway since he uses the title bar as his first line of post.

Sasha

Forum Chief

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Lol oooookay you have obviously never done this before.

They dont want your help. For all they know you are some emt drop out or someone who can pass the state but get a job.

Responding crews have the firemedic ego.

Thats a crazy assumption. I have done "this" before I am in my 8th year of doing "this" sort of stuff. And we don't have Firemedics, we have Medics. Where we practice is obviously way different, we respect Medics as medical providers and utilize them on scene here. I have worked in an area that does have Firemedics however, and still I was used and wasn't in the way. Maybe it is all on how you present and identify yourself.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Doubtful. Here even when we are on the truck they dont want our help and barely listen to a report. It is all egos and political bs.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
I wouldnt recommend it. It doesnt always work and likes to send my posts while im still typing them. Mycrofft makes me have to open it in browser anyway since he uses the title bar as his first line of post.

I can't do anything from mine:sad:

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Doubtful. Here even when we are on the truck they dont want our help. It is all egos and political bs.

Sounds backwards to me, I couldn't work in a place like that.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Doubtful. Here even when we are on the truck they dont want our help and barely listen to a report. It is all egos and political bs.

Am I right i assuming that you either work in CA or FL?

dixie_flatline

Forum Captain
I'm with Sasha on this one. It is a desperate crew that accepts help from a civilian on the scene of an accident. If I roll up and it's an MCI or something, or I'm the only unit and I need to get a patient backboarded and moved stat, I might enlist the help of someone else, but unless I personally know you and your qualifications, you won't be doing jack on my scene once we've talked to you about what happened.

That's the way I and everyone else I know handles things.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm with Sasha on this one. It is a desperate crew that accepts help from a civilian on the scene of an accident. If I roll up and it's an MCI or something, or I'm the only unit and I need to get a patient backboarded and moved stat, I might enlist the help of someone else, but unless I personally know you and your qualifications, you won't be doing jack on my scene once we've talked to you about what happened.

That's the way I and everyone else I know handles things.

No one is going to ask you to intubate, but holding pressure or to keep holding Cspine?

And like I said before, this is not JUST ABOUT CAR WRECKS. Are you gonna watch someone go into Anaphlatic shock on a plane and die? or are you going to treat them? You do know that planes carry EPI and such right?

cynikalkat

Forum Lieutenant
in my car...

I carry a small first aid kit in my car and my keychain (waaaay to big for keychain) mask in my bag. When I was a social worker I was required to have a car 1st aid kit, as I was always w clients in MY car. Im debating about getting the stickers for my car. I see them all over Cape Cod! I always call 911 if i see an accident and no emergency vehicles there. I did once stop and wait with an elderly guy when he was hit by an oncoming vehicle, but i wasn't am emt (in class then actually), and i really stayed as a witness. He was very thankful, poor guy.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Nya-ha-ha-ha Sasha!

neenerneener.jpg

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
We are ordered to stop for things like that- part of being one of Uncle Sam's finest.

At my other job, I stop, because we're way, way rural and my employer likes it that way.

18G

Paramedic
The choice to render aid off duty is a very personal one. How dare you talk down to those who choose to put themselves and their families above a stranger.

It is a personal one your right. But a human being is a human being also. No one is saying to run out into gun fire or leap through flames.

If a kid is hurt on a playground, lend your assistance... if you drive by someone frantic because someone was cutting wood for the Winter and is bleeding severely, lend your assistance... if your in Wal-Mart and someone is having a seizure, help protect them from hurting themselves, maintain their airway, and offer some reassurance to family present and by-standers. Is that really too much to ask?

It has been said by a much higher authority that a time will come when people will become lovers of themselves and stop caring for their fellow man and become extremely selfish. It's obvious that time has come.

epipusher

Forum Asst. Chief
I'll change my name to Selfish McSelfision then, and be proud of it. Nobody can guarantee that I will not be held liable for anything that might happen to a patient, or not happen for that matter, that I rendered any kind of care to. To say without a doubt that someone is not risking their certs, or worse, is absolutely ignorant. It's bad enough we as EMS professional risk our certs daily while on the clock is enough for me to not take any risks outside of work.

A snippet from an article by David Givot, EMS1.com:http://www.ems1.com/ems-advocacy/articles/829161-The-question-every-new-paramedic-has-to-answer/

But, more than all that, it is the paramedic — and nobody else — who goes to work every morning, takes out their license to practice, slams it on the table and says: "I dare you, world; I dare you to take this away from me today. I dare you to take my livelihood, my possessions, and even my life. I dare you."

Because, unlike any other profession, in EMS a simple twist of fate, a simple mistake or simple misjudgment can cost you everything. I've tried, but I cannot think of any other profession where that is true. There are jobs that are singularly more difficult. There are jobs that are singularly more dangerous. But there is no other profession that is more significant for those reasons and many more.

Steam Engine

Forum Lieutenant
I carry a small first aid kit in my car and my keychain (waaaay to big for keychain) mask in my bag. When I was a social worker I was required to have a car 1st aid kit, as I was always w clients in MY car. Im debating about getting the stickers for my car. I see them all over Cape Cod! I always call 911 if i see an accident and no emergency vehicles there. I did once stop and wait with an elderly guy when he was hit by an oncoming vehicle, but i wasn't am emt (in class then actually), and i really stayed as a witness. He was very thankful, poor guy.

The Cape can be pretty desolate in the off-season, especially from Dennis on down so I'd say having a few basics with you is always a good idea for the rare chance that you do happen upon a situation requiring your attention. Most won't, but I think it's always good to be prepared.
The one time I did stop to assist (at least in an urban setting) was on the Cape with a fairly gnarly car vs. tree around 0200. Luckily the passengers were uninjured, and actually ended up refusing transport once the ambulance arrived, but having gloves and a flashlight handy added to peace of mind.
As for stickers, I'm not a fan. I'd rather be able to choose to identify myself or not depending upon the situation.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
unless I personally know you and your qualifications, you won't be doing jack on my scene once we've talked to you about what happened.
That's my exact policy as well. unless I know you, once you give you a report, you should leave unless I say otherwise.

you can be the chief trauma surgeon, lead paramedic, local ems captain, best cardiologist in the world, but even if you have proper ID, unless I know you personally, give your report and leave.

If a kid is hurt on a playground, lend your assistance... if you drive by someone frantic because someone was cutting wood for the Winter and is bleeding severely, lend your assistance... if your in Wal-Mart and someone is having a seizure, help protect them from hurting themselves, maintain their airway, and offer some reassurance to family present and by-standers. Is that really too much to ask?
depends on the person.... I would rather have the professionals show up who have the tools to fix the problem than an educated person who can hold a person's hand but not really fix the problem.
It has been said by a much higher authority that a time will come when people will become lovers of themselves and stop caring for their fellow man and become extremely selfish. It's obvious that time has come.
yes, but I don't think it's because of the selfishness of the responders, but rather to fear that their desire to help out their fellow man will only bring them pain and suffering, because that is the type of society we are now living in.

cynikalkat

Forum Lieutenant
The Cape can be pretty desolate in the off-season, especially from Dennis on down so I'd say having a few basics with you is always a good idea for the rare chance that you do happen upon a situation requiring your attention. Most won't, but I think it's always good to be prepared.
The one time I did stop to assist (at least in an urban setting) was on the Cape with a fairly gnarly car vs. tree around 0200. Luckily the passengers were uninjured, and actually ended up refusing transport once the ambulance arrived, but having gloves and a flashlight handy added to peace of mind.
As for stickers, I'm not a fan. I'd rather be able to choose to identify myself or not depending upon the situation.

YUp, I always have blanket, towel (my car leaks), and spare clothes (@ least in cold mos) in the car.

I think the stickers are sort of a show-off thing, at least around here.i always see them on either big trucks or SUVs w/ FF license plates

18G

Paramedic
It's bad enough we as EMS professional risk our certs daily while on the clock is enough for me to not take any risks outside of work.

You really feel that when you go to work everyday you are "risking your certs"? I have never felt that way and I'm pushing the 20yr mark.

Why does providing quality care within your protocols and scope of practice make you paranoid and feel that you are "risking your cert"?

Of course, any patient can become dissatisfied and want to sue you. A family who lost a loved one and is hurt and want's accountability may sue you in their time of anger and grief. But that doesn't mean the claim has any merit. Anything can happen and that goes with everything in life.

Many seem to think that not doing anything in an emergency offer's them 100% immunity and will protect them from someone making a claim against them.

Again, you can get sued for anything. And if someone finds out your the off-duty Paramedic or EMT who chose not to help, they can try to sue you. And even though they may not be able to, your name will receive lot's of mention especially if it is a high profile case in the community. And don't think your employer won't be mentioned either. We all know how when something happens involving Fire/EMS, the employer or affiliated station always get's mentioned on the news.

Do unto other's as you want done unto you? Does that rule not apply anymore? We stopped teaching that? If so, I never got the memo.