How many of you carry a traumma bag in your POV

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm far from 23, been in EMS for many many years, and a father of three. I would be proud to wear a big, red, capital "C" on my shirt, all day, every day. IF everything I have stated makes me a coward, then I embrace it completely.

What colour would you like those shirts in? I know a good screen printer.

Pneumothorax

Forum Lieutenant
Right, I wonder how many people would "just drive by" a car with a small fire in the engine compartment that is starting to spread with an unconscious person in it instead of stopping to pull the person out so that they don't burn. All because of a fear of a lawsuit, or fear of responding Fire crew egos, or fear of getting in the way, or "I am not on shift so I am not obligated"

I'm late in this convo , but I would #1 call 911 first #2 make sure it was safe for me to help said person. Its not gonna do anyone any good if you can't assist them safely.
& god knows ppl will sue for ANYTHING.. So u just really have to becareful. But I would not take a lax attitude, I would do everything in my power to help. Driving by is just mean

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm late in this convo , but I would #1 call 911 first #2 make sure it was safe for me to help said person. Its not gonna do anyone any good if you can't assist them safely.
& god knows ppl will sue for ANYTHING.. So u just really have to becareful. But I would not take a lax attitude, I would do everything in my power to help. Driving by is just mean

Right, like said before if the car is completely up in flames well then there is no way you can help. But if we are talking the fire has not yet reach the driver compartment well then you have time and should attempt to pull'em out! And no one disagrees that people can sue for anything, but law suit or life, law suit or life? And that chances of that law suit actually going to court and being won? Minimal.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I would still drive by. Ever heard of a flash over?

Sudden air bag deployment?

I am too important to my family. Sorry, ill wear my scarlet "C" too.
Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
And that's the difference between people who are in this for people and people who are in this for a paycheck alone.

My family would be disappointed, ashamed, and probably angry if I drove past someone in need and did not help. I know I'd be disappointed and ashamed with myself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Right, like said before if the car is completely up in flames well then there is no way you can help. But if we are talking the fire has not yet reach the driver compartment well then you have time and should attempt to pull'em out! And no one disagrees that people can sue for anything, but law suit or life, law suit or life? And that chances of that law suit actually going to court and being won? Minimal.

But again, you don't have to be found not liable to be completely screwed by the legal system. It takes effort and time to ensure that the suit does not proceed, which may cost you time at work. Then god forbid the suit does proceed, you're paying out the ear for a lawyer. Then, after you're found not liable, you have to counter sue to get your money back! It's terrible...

Now this not going to stop me from rendering aid when I feel it's appropriate. But it is going to be in the back of my head in a non-life or death situation.

To those of you labeling others as cowards and whatnot, who exactly do you think you are? Who are you to judge their personal choices? So what if someone doesn't choose to make the same decision as you, that does not make anyone a coward. It means they have different beliefs than you. Grow up and learn to disagree with someone somewhat respectfully.

Sent from my out of area communications device.

epipusher

Forum Asst. Chief
And that's the difference between people who are in this for people and people who are in this for a paycheck alone.

My family would be disappointed, ashamed, and probably angry if I drove past someone in need and did not help. I know I'd be disappointed and ashamed with myself.

That is exactly why I have been employed since the age of 16, for a paycheck.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Hahaha, this is great! Throwing his student into the fire...awesome!

Just thought it was a little odd that the medic would designate me teacher of c-collaring ways at 0100 without ever meeting me haha.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
But again, you don't have to be found not liable to be completely screwed by the legal system. It takes effort and time to ensure that the suit does not proceed, which may cost you time at work. Then god forbid the suit does proceed, you're paying out the ear for a lawyer. Then, after you're found not liable, you have to counter sue to get your money back! It's terrible...

Now this not going to stop me from rendering aid when I feel it's appropriate. But it is going to be in the back of my head in a non-life or death situation.

To those of you labeling others as cowards and whatnot, who exactly do you think you are? Who are you to judge their personal choices? So what if someone doesn't choose to make the same decision as you, that does not make anyone a coward. It means they have different beliefs than you. Grow up and learn to disagree with someone somewhat respectfully.

If it was non-life threatening there would be no need to help, they can wait for EMS to arrive.

I don't think that my thinking someone is a coward for looking the other way when a fellow human is dying infront of them is childish and that I need to grow up for it. I think it is my opinion and perfectly reasonable and I stand by it.

Sasha

Forum Chief

You mean people are in this for the paycheck? what system are they working for so I can switch over there.

I wouldn't. My family experienced loss first hand because my aunt stopped to help a downed motorcyclist and was hit by two cars. Her entire lower half was pulverized. Literally we had to keep that part of the casket closed with a linen draped over the opening because it was disturbing.

My grandmother cried for weeks about how she was left in the road while they worked the scene and the others who were hit. My other aunt had been driving by on her way to the hospital (Because at that time we were told she had been airlifted, misinformation, she had been killed on impact and pronounced on the scene.) to see my aunt's dead mutilated body just lying in the street.

My family thanks me for NOT stopping and putting them through that. She died a hero, sure, but she is still dead and left behind a beautiful granddaughter, her mother and father (my grandparents) who have never recovered from the loss of their daughter, and her own daughter who has spiraled into drug use unable to deal with the grief.

EVERY month my grandfather calls highway patrol, and the courthouse, to ask why charges were never filed against the two cars who hit and killed her.

THAT is a first hand account of a good samiritan killed. THAT is why I will not stop, I love my family too much to put them through that again.

Give me some time and I'll find the article on her passing. The anniversary is coming up soon (during biketober fest.)

I'd rather she had been a coward and still been here.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Stopping to help does have risk, what scares me the most is that you will not help no matter the situation. Doens't have to be a Car accident, could be a simple medical in a safe place. But you still wont render aid. My Uncle who was a up and coming race car driver, was struck and killed by a SEMI while stopping to help for a downed motorcyclist. I could not find an article on this since it happened in 1991. My uncle had no Medical experience but had sense enough to realize that if he didn't stop to pull the unconscious person off the freeway he was going to be run over. If I took a poll of who would do the same in my family, I think is would be a 100% yes I would do the same. I can't tell you what my uncle was thinking during his last minutes, but I am sure it had something to do with "I can't just leave him there to die."

dixie_flatline

Forum Captain
On the whole, I think EMS is a bit paranoid when it comes to fear of lawsuits.

That said, I am personally fearful of lawsuits. It does not matter if a case has substance or not, if you become a plaintiff in a lawsuit you are in for a ride in many cases. You'll need a lawyer and time to go to court, both of which could potentially cause a great deal of personal and financial anguish. Being found not liable doesn't mean you get off scott-free. Often times a counter-suit is needed to pick up the costs of a frivolous lawsuit, costing you even more time. I think this aspect of our legal system is horrifying, but in the absence of significant change, being named in a lawsuit means you will be losing some amount of money.

It's not really important, but this is the Internet so whatever I say goes - a plaintiff is the complainant, or petitioner (i.e., the prosecuting party).

Amazingly enough, this thread on POV medical kits has yet again spiraled into a discussion of duty-to-act, although it's been less heavy on citations of law than previous threads and more reliant on arguments of humanity, ethics, and morals. Thread lock imminent, I fear.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
It's not really important, but this is the Internet so whatever I say goes - a plaintiff is the complainant, or petitioner (i.e., the prosecuting party).

No, it is an important clarification, thanks for picking up on that. If rationale arguments are going to be made, we need to keep our terms straight.

RocketMedic

Part of what makes us human is that we will risk everything to help a total stranger. I would have a hard time dealing with a preventable death that I could have helped prevent had I acted...ie the recent Utah motorcyclist. Even if I were injured or killed I feel that it its appropriate for me to help...personally, Id rather my family think of me as a hero than a coward. Then again, my family is pretty resilient and unlikely tocollapse from juat one heroic loss.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Part of what makes us human is that we will risk everything to help a total stranger. I would have a hard time dealing with a preventable death that I could have helped prevent had I acted...ie the recent Utah motorcyclist. Even if I were injured or killed I feel that it its appropriate for me to help...personally, Id rather my family think of me as a hero than a coward. Then again, my family is pretty resilient and unlikely tocollapse from juat one heroic loss.

That isnt what makes people human it is what makes them foolish.

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

18G

Paramedic
You mean people are in this for the paycheck? what system are they working for so I can switch over there.

I wouldn't. My family experienced loss first hand because my aunt stopped to help a downed motorcyclist and was hit by two cars. Her entire lower half was pulverized. Literally we had to keep that part of the casket closed with a linen draped over the opening because it was disturbing.

My grandmother cried for weeks about how she was left in the road while they worked the scene and the others who were hit. My other aunt had been driving by on her way to the hospital (Because at that time we were told she had been airlifted, misinformation, she had been killed on impact and pronounced on the scene.) to see my aunt's dead mutilated body just lying in the street.

My family thanks me for NOT stopping and putting them through that. She died a hero, sure, but she is still dead and left behind a beautiful granddaughter, her mother and father (my grandparents) who have never recovered from the loss of their daughter, and her own daughter who has spiraled into drug use unable to deal with the grief.

EVERY month my grandfather calls highway patrol, and the courthouse, to ask why charges were never filed against the two cars who hit and killed her.

THAT is a first hand account of a good samiritan killed. THAT is why I will not stop, I love my family too much to put them through that again.

Give me some time and I'll find the article on her passing. The anniversary is coming up soon (during biketober fest.)

I'd rather she had been a coward and still been here.

That is a really extremist view and sounds like a cop out to me.

It's very said that your Aunt lost her life aiding someone in need along a roadway, but it's unfair to affect the rest of humanity because of one lost life. Instead of having her life be lost in vein why not use it as an example of unselfishness and use it to raise an awareness within yourself. Use it to be more cautious and perform a better scene assessment to protect yourself in such situations.

I don't know what background your Aunt had but as a Paramedic, EMT, or Firefighter, we have a greater sense to anticipate and assess a scene which can mitigate the tragedy that happened to your family. Your right in that a risk is always present, but I thought it was innate in us to strive to save a life and go the extra mile that an ordinary citizen won't. What would your Aunt want you to do now? Make the effort or be selfish?

Your so worried about putting your family through another tragedy yet your a Paramedic and inherent the risk of that job? IFT or not it carries some risks.

You give one bad example.. but what about the 100 good examples for that one? I think your letting emotion overrule your head.

And it's not foolish to put yourself out there to help in another's time of need. That is called being human and having integrity. Only a fool will turn their back and walk away from a person in need of help.

RocketMedic

There's a few million Jews alive today because brave men and women had the courage to face Death and say "no, I will not yield, I will stand against this." That's just one example.

Danger is a part of life, especially in our chosen profession. Whether it is deliberate violence, a horrible accident, or some sort of pathogen or environmental threat, it's there. A key part of being a medic is helping people in spite of danger. I don't think that that stops when I clock out.

Am I going to be tubing people off-duty? Of course not. But if the opportunity to help someone in need without an obvious and unmanageable life threat to myself presents itself, I'm not going to stand by idly (or worse, ignore it). If I'm ever in that circumstance, I'd want someone to help me.