How many of you carry a traumma bag in your POV

dstevens58

Forum Lieutenant
I have a pair of gloves if it goes anything above and beyond me calling 9-1-1 on the cell phone.

jbrynels

Forum Probie
I carry a full jump bag, and an AED. When I'm not away on my boat I have the AED with me at least. Other than that, I carry a regular jump kit. In Canada there is no liability on a good Samaritan helping at a scene, so I figure, I have it, why not use it.

dixie_flatline

Forum Captain
I carry a full jump bag, and an AED. When I'm not away on my boat I have the AED with me at least. Other than that, I carry a regular jump kit. In Canada there is no liability on a good Samaritan helping at a scene, so I figure, I have it, why not use it.

8de09-NotSureIfSerious.jpg

You might want to look into exactly how a good samaritan is covered... I can pretty well guarantee that if you have a scalpel and suture kit in your bag and decide to try some field surgery to stop an arterial bleed, you won't have a leg to stand on. Good Samaritan laws are there to protect John Q Public who is trying to do The Right Thing by his fellow man. They're not there to enable every Ricky Rescue who daydreams about how he'll save his next vic - I mean patient.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
My part-time job has very few (ie none) paramedic jump kits so you have to have your own and use hospital's supplies. The only time I have my kit in my car is to and from shifts and when I forget to put it up on days off. Because those supplies are for that job and that job alone and only when I'm clocked in. I won't even use a 4X4 for a paper cut on myself. Period.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
I carry gloves.

frdude1000

Forum Captain
I carry a basic BLS kit for friends/family. I also use it sometimes with my small ems standby group b/c we use my vehicle occasionally.

IRIDEZX6R

Forum Captain
Some of these people almost sound like they'd drive an ambulance as their POV if they could..

IRIDEZX6R

Forum Captain

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
I have My Tactical Gear with me at all times usually, so therefore I carry medical gear with me at all times pretty much. Then again, I am required to have it with me.

Last edited by a moderator:

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I carry my aid bag, because I hate leaving it in the randomly-locked locker room and I find myself needing it quite often during PT hours or being sent to some range somewhere or something. In my part-time job, we carry smallish BLS bags when we're on-call, mostly because our doctor wants us to.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I always carry a O2 tank (H size) along with an AED and a full ALS first in bag, a monitor, and several backboards and flats......

Ooh wait you said personal vehicle? Well I have a small cheap first aid kit for myself/friends/family and gloves. I always have my cellphone fo that emergency number. Uhhhh and let's see that's it. Ooh and I do have a star of life on the back of my truck but that doesn't mean I have to stop at accidents.

IRIDEZX6R

Forum Captain
I always carry a O2 tank (H size) along with an AED and a full ALS first in bag, a monitor, and several backboards and flats......

Ooh wait you said personal vehicle? Well I have a small cheap first aid kit for myself/friends/family and gloves. I always have my cellphone fo that emergency number. Uhhhh and let's see that's it. Ooh and I do have a star of life on the back of my truck but that doesn't mean I have to stop at accidents.

Add an "In an Emergency call 911" sticker and you're set.

jbrynels

Forum Probie
8de09-NotSureIfSerious.jpg

You might want to look into exactly how a good samaritan is covered... I can pretty well guarantee that if you have a scalpel and suture kit in your bag and decide to try some field surgery to stop an arterial bleed, you won't have a leg to stand on. Good Samaritan laws are there to protect John Q Public who is trying to do The Right Thing by his fellow man. They're not there to enable every Ricky Rescue who daydreams about how he'll save his next vic - I mean patient.

I said regular jump kit. At what point does a regular jumpkit include scalpel and sutures?

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Seems its mostly EMT's that carry off duty supplies....

And parents. I have a well-stocked bag, and I use it all the time. It's called preparedness. If someone I am with is bleeding, I like to have something to put on it...saves calling 911 most of the time, and saves me having to cut strips out of my shirt to bandage the people.

There's nothing to be ashamed about carrying a bag. It's the attitude with which you carry it that matters. Don't go stopping at every traffic accident thinking you'll be a big hero, just deal with what life throws at you.

jbrynels

Forum Probie
And parents. I have a well-stocked bag, and I use it all the time. It's called preparedness. If someone I am with is bleeding, I like to have something to put on it...saves calling 911 most of the time, and saves me having to cut strips out of my shirt to bandage the people.

There's nothing to be ashamed about carrying a bag. It's the attitude with which you carry it that matters. Don't go stopping at every traffic accident thinking you'll be a big hero, just deal with what life throws at you.

I completely agree. I know in the states they have a whole set of legalities that go along with it, and it's a shame. I know personally, I do what I do because I like to help people. It's certainly not the pay ($2/hour when on call, bumped to not much above minimum wage when actually at a call). I figure, if I have the training, and the supplies why not utilize them to the best of my ability. Especially when it could help save a life. Not to mention, where I live, it can take an ambulance up to half an hour to get there, my neighbors know they can call on me if they need help (after calling 911) and that if I see an accident on the highway, I will stop and see if anyone is in need of help. It's not about being a hero, it's about being trained to help and therefore wanting to help.

jbrynels

Forum Probie
Good Samaritan Act - Canada

Just in case anyone was curious this is the good Samaritan act in BC specifically. It is a provincial law in Canada.

No liability for emergency aid unless gross negligence

1 A person who renders emergency medical services or aid to an ill, injured or unconscious person, at the immediate scene of an accident or emergency that has caused the illness, injury or unconsciousness, is not liable for damages for injury to or death of that person caused by the person's act or omission in rendering the medical services or aid unless that person is grossly negligent.
Exceptions

2 Section 1 does not apply if the person rendering the medical services or aid

(a) is employed expressly for that purpose, or

(b) does so with a view to gain.

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
Anyone who carries a trauma bag in their own vehicle has probably experienced some sort of emotional trauma themselves :p

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
No liability for emergency aid unless gross negligence

1 A person who renders emergency medical services or aid to an ill, injured or unconscious person, at the immediate scene of an accident or emergency that has caused the illness, injury or unconsciousness, is not liable for damages for injury to or death of that person caused by the person's act or omission in rendering the medical services or aid unless that person is grossly negligent.
Exceptions

2 Section 1 does not apply if the person rendering the medical services or aid

(a) is employed expressly for that purpose, or

(b) does so with a view to gain.

The bolded part is what omits you from the law. Although not on the clock, you still are employed by an EMS agency. (assuming this by your other post)

Any decent lawyer could take you to the cleaner if it did end up in court and you used this Good Sam law as your defense.

Don't take this the wrong way I agree with you about helping people. However, I refuse to risk my livelihood, my certification, me health and possibly my freedom for a complete stranger when I am not on duty and covered under my agencies insurance.

Seems its mostly EMT's that carry off duty supplies....

Paramedics tend to get a little more education when it comes to legal/liability subjects.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bosco836

Forum Lieutenant

Well said. I too carry a bag for the exact same reason.