How many of you carry a traumma bag in your POV

jbrynels

Forum Probie
The bolded part is what omits you from the law. Although not on the clock, you still are employed by an EMS agency. (assuming this by your other post)

Any decent lawyer could take you to the cleaner if it did end up in court and you used this Good Sam law as your defense.

Don't take this the wrong way I agree with you about helping people. However, I refuse to risk my livelihood, my certification, me health and possibly my freedom for a complete stranger when I am not on duty and covered under my agencies insurance.

Paramedics tend to get a little more education when it comes to legal/liability subjects.

You are incorrect. The law only applies to those that are WORKING (i.e. ON DUTY) for whatever their service be. Your last thought is correct, we do have a class we have to take on the legalities and this was one thing that we were spoken to about.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
You are incorrect. The law only applies to those that are WORKING (i.e. ON DUTY) for whatever their service be. Your last thought is correct, we do have a class we have to take on the legalities and this was one thing that we were spoken to about.

Then the law you posted is incomplete or lacking other applicable laws to this discussion. It doesn't define on/off duty, all it states is employed.

You misread my last thought. Education for ALS providers here goes much further into the legal aspect than that of a BLS provider, at least in my program. I sat through a lot more than one class about legal issues pertaining to a prehospital healthcare provider.

Cup of Joe

Forum Captain
I have a roadside repair kit incase my car breaks down on the LIE (like tire sealer, some road flares, a reflector, etc.) I think it might have some band-aids in it? Never opened it.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Small emergency kit for me and mine with a lot of "comfort" items for if I get stranded somewhere (blankets, gloves, jackets, lots of water, lickies and chewies, and some basic first aid stuff). I do a lot of hiking so I'm out in the boonies fairly often. No way I'm stopping on the side of a California freeway unless I have to.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I carry my rescue gear and my on duty ambulance bag in the truck on my car (more because I'm too lazy to take it out when I get home and forget it when I need to go into work for a shift).

neither has any equipment outside of my own personal protective equipment.

but I do have my phone with me at all times, and will always call 911 and let the professionals and the AHJ handle any emergency that I might come upon in my travels

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
I have My Tactical Gear with me at all times usually, so therefore I carry medical gear with me at all times pretty much. Then again, I am required to have it with me.

Did you mean to capitalize "My Tactical Gear"? :unsure:

AK_SAR

Forum Crew Member
Yes, I carry a kit.

I carry a well stocked basic FA kit in my car. Sometimes I have my SAR pack with me, which has a more extensive kit. I also keep a kit in my boat. In town I would probably just call 911 and let them handle it. However in Alaska, outside of towns cell phone coverage is sparse to non existent, and EMS resources are few and far between. In that situation I would help, within my training.

Alaskans have a long tradition of helping each other. Unfortunately that attitude is fading, as more and more people move here from down south, bringing lower 48 attitudes with them.

Alaska has a Good Samaritan Law (links below). I haven't heard of anyone being sued so long as they stayed within their training.

Civil Liability for Emergency Aid (AS 09.65.090)
http://www.chems.alaska.gov/EMS/Assets/Downloads/AS0965090.pdf

Civil Liability for use of an AED (AS 09.65.087)
http://www.chems.alaska.gov/EMS/documents/Civil_Liability_aed_000.pdf

DarkStarr

Forum Lieutenant
I keep a kit in my truck which is basically the size of a BVM with 2 side pockets stuffed with a couple odds and ends.

I am 5 miles from work and live in the middle of our service area, so I often QRP an E1 if I will make it there before the ambulance or if they might need assistance. I get paid for these and am also covered by insurance if I get into an accident (as long as I called en route).

I do carry my old turnout gear from the FD, but am debating on ditching those.

Would not mind have an emergency roadside kit (more for personal use), but want to get spray on bedliner and then a locking toolbox first. The inside of my cab is for people, not dirty gear o:

Last edited by a moderator:

18G

Paramedic
And parents. I have a well-stocked bag, and I use it all the time. It's called preparedness. If someone I am with is bleeding, I like to have something to put on it...saves calling 911 most of the time, and saves me having to cut strips out of my shirt to bandage the people.

There's nothing to be ashamed about carrying a bag. It's the attitude with which you carry it that matters. Don't go stopping at every traffic accident thinking you'll be a big hero, just deal with what life throws at you.

I completely agree. I maintain a med bag primarily for use on my kids heaven forbid something should happen. It's the smart thing to do. As Abckidsmom said, there is nothing to be ashamed of for having medical supplies on hand. It's not "uncool" or the latest trend to not have a med/response bag. It's our job to teach other's to be prepared yet were not going to be prepared ourselves? Makes no sense.

And when I go to NYC or DC I always make sure the med bag goes with me and is kept in the hotel room or in the car. In today's world we never know what is going to happen and when 911 may not be available. And a backpack is always on my back with some medical "stuff" as well the usual tourist necessities too.

Maybe this is a negative shift of society in general, but I am kinda surprised that quite a few EMT's and Paramedic's have posted that they will pretty much ignore a fellow human being who is in need when they are off duty.

Have we really become that self-centered and more worried about ourselves that we will turn our back on someone in need? It's a really shallow and lame way of being.

epipusher

Forum Asst. Chief
I will absolutely ignore a person in need, short of calling 911. No one person, other than family, is worth losing my cert,job,financial stability, or going to jail for.

18G

Paramedic
I will absolutely ignore a person in need, short of calling 911. No one person, other than family, is worth losing my cert,job,financial stability, or going to jail for.

Just remember the attitude your breeding because the same can happen to you and your family.

18G

Paramedic
I'm not oblivious to this fact. It is very unfortunate.

Your not going to lose your, "cert, job, financial stability, or go to jail" because you showed compassion and a willingness to help in an emergency. Sure, anyone can get sued but that doesn't mean the case has any substance.

No need to be paranoid.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Your not going to lose your, "cert, job, financial stability, or go to jail" because you showed compassion and a willingness to help in an emergency. Sure, anyone can get sued but that doesn't mean the case has any substance.

No need to be paranoid.

I totally agree.

Sasha

Forum Chief

No need to be paranoid.

Really? People sue for the stupidest crap. Compassion and willingness to help doesn't mean crap in a litigious society.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief

Aslong as you provided the right treatment and activated 911 why on earth would you be sued, and if sued it would not be won by the plantiff? You are a Paramedic, be a Paramedic.

Scott33

Forum Asst. Chief
I completely agree. I maintain a med bag primarily for use on my kids heaven forbid something should happen. It's the smart thing to do.

When you say med bag, do you mean a bag with medications in it?

18G

Paramedic
Really? People sue for the stupidest crap. Compassion and willingness to help doesn't mean crap in a litigious society.

I said anyone can get sued but that doesn't mean the case has any substance to it.

And honestly, I think there would be more of a liability and case if you failed to act appropriately when you had the training and experience to do so.

What scenario is going to get the greatest backlash from the public? The scenario where an off-duty Paramedic stood by and watched someone die as they bled to death, or the scenario where the same Paramedic put fourth the effort to stop the bleeding because they obviously care enough about human life to make the effort?

Imagine your the Paramedic being flashed across the 6 oclock news because your the douche who was too scared to save the person that has now died and the family and public are pissed off. Guess who they are coming after now? And you may not be convicted in a court room, but the public, family, and your peers will convict you for sure.

And I am pretty sure that once your at a scene and make some contact with a patient, your committed until EMS get's there. And if your close enough to make an assessment and dial 911, you already went too far and you just committed yourself to providing care. You have a moral, ethical, and professional obligation to do what any reasonable person would do. Why does anyone think they can just walk away or stand in the background?

I will take my chances with a jury taking my side when I showed compassion, professionalism, and a desire to prevent further distress or loss of life in an emergency.

Being ignorant, self-centered, showing a lack of compassion, and breaching the moral, ethical, and professional obligation...eh.. not so sure I would use all that to get the jury on my side.

Last edited by a moderator: