How many of you carry a traumma bag in your POV

18G

Paramedic
When you say med bag, do you mean a bag with medications in it?

No, "med bag" is abbreviated for medical bag. Med bag tends to be the general descriptor of the "first-in" bag on the ambulance around here.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I said anyone can get sued but that doesn't mean the case has any substance to it.

And honestly, I think there would be more of a liability and case if you failed to act appropriately when you had the training and experience to do so.

What scenario is going to get the greatest backlash from the public? The scenario where an off-duty Paramedic stood by and watched someone die as they bled to death, or the scenario where the same Paramedic put fourth the effort to stop the bleeding because they obviously care enough about human life to make the effort?

Imagine your the Paramedic being flashed across the 6 oclock news because your the douche who was too scared to save the person that has now died and the family and public are pissed off. Guess who they are coming after now? And you may not be convicted in a court room, but the public, family, and your peers will convict you for sure.

And I am pretty sure that once your at a scene and make some contact with a patient, your committed until EMS get's there. And if your close enough to make an assessment and dial 911, you already went too far and you just committed yourself to providing care. You have a moral, ethical, and professional obligation to do what any reasonable person would do. Why does anyone think they can just walk away or stand in the background?

I will take my chances with a jury taking my side when I showed compassion, professionalism, and a desire to prevent further distress or loss of life in an emergency.

Being ignorant, self-centered, showing a lack of compassion, and breaching the moral, ethical, and professional obligation...eh.. not so sure I would use all that to get the jury on my side.

The one where you did nothing has absolutely no weight. You are NOT obligated (in most states) to provide care off duty. So what will they sue you for? Caring about yourself and your family and not getting involved?

Being a jerk is not a sueable offense. And I don't find not providing care very jerkish.

Driving by and calling 911 is not initiating an assessment. Neither is it initiating a patient provider relationship.

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I bring my jump kit when family might need it.

And to events like CERT work days. I used to carry it a lot, but the heat beating on the contents is bad for them, and I used it only once (minor MVA).

Scott33

Forum Asst. Chief
No, "med bag" is abbreviated for medical bag. Med bag tends to be the general descriptor of the "first-in" bag on the ambulance around here.

Gotcha, thanks.

I've been spending too much time on the Zombie hunters forum ;)

mcdonl

Forum Captain
I'm not oblivious to this fact. It is very unfortunate.

Pull up your big boy britches and do what is right if it bothers you. ANY LIFE is worth me losing my certs over. New careers can be had, but it takes a special man to ignore someone in need for their own monitary gain.

In my opinion :)

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Does a Doc get scared on an airplane when someone is having a Medical emergency and they are not in the state that he practices? No, he gets up and treats the patient and so should the Medic. We are Nationally registered, and if not. The benadryl and Epi in one state is the same as the other, and most likely your systems protocol dosage for them will work just fine so treat the dang patient!

Whats the harm in holding pressure over someones wound, or hold cspine while you wait for EMS to arrive? How on earth are you going to get successfully sued if you did it correctly.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Pull up your big boy britches and do what is right if it bothers you. ANY LIFE is worth me losing my certs over. New careers can be had, but it takes a special man to ignore someone in need for their own monitary gain.

In my opinion :)

Agreed, no competent Medic that has confidence in his/her own abilities should ever be scared to render aid off duty. And that person should not be a Medic if they refused to and someone died and you had the ability to prevent death from occuring.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Doctors carry malpractice insurance.

You best not be giving meds off duty, youre then working without a license.

Who is going to pay your family when you are hit and killed holding pressure on the side of the road?

Dont say that doesnt happen. It does.

If you do it right and theyre still injured or dead you are still gonna be sued and a hysterical widow is a lot more sympathetic than a ricky rescue.

I am confident and competent. I call 911 and continue unless my butt is on shift when i pass an accident. My family has already suffered the loss of a good samaritan being killed on the side of the road, i will not put them through it a second time.

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

Sasha

Forum Chief
The choice to render aid off duty is a very personal one. How dare you talk down to those who choose to put themselves and their families above a stranger.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Doctors carry malpractice insurance.

You best not be giving meds off duty, youre then working without a license.

Who is going to pay your family when you are hit and killed holding pressure on the side of the road?

Dont say that doesnt happen. It does.

If you do it right and theyre still injured or dead you are still gonna be sued and a hysterical widow is a lot more sympathetic than a ricky rescue.

I am confident and competent. I call 911 and continue unless my butt is on shift when i pass an accident. My family has already suffered the loss of a good samaritan being killed on the side of the road, i will not put them through it a second time.

Sorry to here about your family member, that being said I am not afraid to render care and will always continue to do it.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Good for you.

I choose not to. That is my right as i am not under professional protection or obligation. Doesnt make me less of a provider.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Good for you.

I choose not to. That is my right as i am not under professional protection or obligation. Doesnt make me less of a provider.

No you are not obligated, but I could never just sit there and watch someone die knowing that I could change that. So morally, I feel obligated. But hey thats just me.

VCEMT

Forum Captain
I carry a Snap-On jump pack, wrench set(standard and metric), shop rags, adhesive strips(Band-Aid brand), gloves, condoms, duct tape, lime, rope, spare tire, blankets, sensual lotions, water, charcoal, flares, and jerky.

Sasha

Forum Chief
No you are not obligated, but I could never just sit there and watch someone die knowing that I could change that. So morally, I feel obligated. But hey thats just me.

Keep driving and you wont have to watch anyone die. And you also wont be in the way of the responding crew.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I carry a Snap-On jump pack, wrench set(standard and metric), shop rags, adhesive strips(Band-Aid brand), gloves, condoms, duct tape, lime, rope, spare tire, blankets, sensual lotions, water, charcoal, flares, and jerky.

Sounds like Ted Bundys go bag!

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief

That pack is not complete without the Jerky

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Keep driving and you wont have to watch anyone die. And you also wont be in the way of the responding crew.

This is not just about being on the road, many other situations present themselves. I don't stop for every fender bender. And why on earth would a Medic be in the way of a responding crew? You become part of the crew and work together.

Last edited by a moderator:

IRIDEZX6R

Forum Captain
The choice to render aid off duty is a very personal one. How dare you talk down to those who choose to put themselves and their families above a stranger.

Go Sasha :) +1,000,000