How many of you carry a traumma bag in your POV

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
When was the last time you got under a sliding MRAP to slip in and extricate your gunner into the vehicle before his arm was crushed by a crumpling turrent shield? By your ethics, I should have let that young man lose an arm instead of risking myself a little. I'm glad I'm not you.

Combat's a different ballgame entirely. Apples to oranges. Not to mention that if someone's arm has already been crushed, there's pathetically little one can do on scene to save it. Apply a tourniquet, get the patient evacuated and let someone with surgical expertise evaluate it. It doesn't take a medic to do any of those things which is one reason why it was taught in the courses I used to provide to an Army unit I was temporarily assigned to.

That's when your contribution may be as little as deploying warning equipment or signalling traffic from a safe location. I'm not saying every helper should bolt straight to the scene and dive in.

Getting out and tossing flares isn't much safer and I don't know many of us who are carrying around reflective vests to wear while signaling traffic.

Right, most of us would. But there are people in this thread who have straight up said they would not. And thats horrible.

Who has said that in the situation of a collapsed person at a health club? Those of us who said we would not help are saying we are not stopping alongside a pitch black country road or busy six-lane interstate and risking becoming a hood ornament for a Peterbilt or the next drunk driver to pass by. CPR is a low-risk event with a decent chance of maybe helping (given that an AED is nearby) where as the chances of being able to do anything but either look at a dead body or tell the driver help (that is actually make a difference) is on the way at an MVC is exceptionally rare, which is why folks like 18G bring up the rare cases they personally have encountered rather than bringing out scientific evidence to indicate that we should stop.

In other words, please stop being melodramatic or assuming facts not in evidence.

Anyway, I am pulling out of this thread. Don't want to get kicked out of this forum!

Relax.....it's a debate, not an argument and the moderators here are pretty level-headed.

And usaf, it's a proven fact that millions of European Jews and their descendents are alive today because of brave soldiers and civilians who resisted the Nazi regime.

Soldiers are different from unarmed/underarmed civilians which is what I believed you were talking about. Trust me, I know the history of WWII a hell of a lot better than you do.

If you're offended by that, you need to check yourself.

I'm offended by your inability to think non-linearly, not come up with valid comparisons for disparate circumstances and your fatalistic approach to doing our jobs.

By the way, thank you for your service from one veteran to another.

epipusher

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm offended by your inability to think non-linearly, not come up with valid comparisons for disparate circumstances and your fatalistic approach to doing our jobs.

By the way, thank you for your service from one veteran to another.
This pretty much sums it all up. Well said, along with your previous posts. Bravo to Sasha as well.

edit: I'm not a veteran, but thanks for your service as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader

When was the last time you got under a sliding MRAP to slip in and extricate your gunner into the vehicle before his arm was crushed by a crumpling turrent shield? By your ethics, I should have let that young man lose an arm instead of risking myself a little. I'm glad I'm not you.

Um never? I'm not a veteran or in the a service (but my sincerest thanks for yours). How does this situation relate at all to the sea of rendering aid off duty? Honestly, I am unable to draw any meaningful parallels.

Sent from my out of area communications device.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Okay, this thread has gone far enough off topic. Back on topic, please.

dash

Forum Ride Along
I carry a large amount of kit in my car, thus is mainly due to the private work I do. I think its worth noting at the risk of going off topic again over here paramedics, nurses & doctors are all "registered health care professionals" and can be struck off for not rendering aid to someone that needs it. Off duty this means you do what ever you can with the kit you have if that is just you then that's what you do.

I get the feeling I will have some offensive tag given to me because I have an aed, o2 and a first aid kit in my car and have stopped and will stop in the future, you people having a go at people for calling you cowards are just as bad as calling me a wacker/glory hunter is just as bad.

It also doesn't mean I am not as able to my job.

If I get chance I will take some photos of the stuff in my boot..

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I carry a large amount of kit in my car, thus is mainly due to the private work I do. I think its worth noting at the risk of going off topic again over here paramedics, nurses & doctors are all "registered health care professionals" and can be struck off for not rendering aid to someone that needs it. Off duty this means you do what ever you can with the kit you have if that is just you then that's what you do.

I get the feeling I will have some offensive tag given to me because I have an aed, o2 and a first aid kit in my car and have stopped and will stop in the future, you people having a go at people for calling you cowards are just as bad as calling me a wacker/glory hunter is just as bad.

It also doesn't mean I am not as able to my job.

If I get chance I will take some photos of the stuff in my boot..

Honestly, I thought the general sentiment had just swung around to "you do what you think is right, and we aren't going to sit here in judgment."

There are no penalties for registered health care providers not rendering aid in my state, I'm not sure of the others, but I'd be surprised if there were any at all.

dash

Forum Ride Along
Honestly, I thought the general sentiment had just swung around to "you do what you think is right, and we aren't going to sit here in judgment."

There are no penalties for registered health care providers not rendering aid in my state, I'm not sure of the others, but I'd be surprised if there were any at all.

I understand that I wouldn't stop on a motorway with 4 lanes plus of fast moving traffic with out disco lights and it was safe for me to do so the same way it would be if I was in a ambulance.

I don't know about any other countries but its a big thing here in the UK...

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Years ago when I first got my Basic I carried a BLS bag in the car. Never really used it. I lost it somewhere along the way, I think in my 2004 summer road trip over 4 months where I went over 15,000 miles. It was incredible. Anyhow, I carry a pocket CPR mask on my keychain and two pairs of gloves. That's it. No stethoscope, no BP cuff. I do have jumper cables if in case I need to defibrillate someone.

Scott33

Forum Asst. Chief
. I think its worth noting at the risk of going off topic again over here paramedics, nurses & doctors are all "registered health care professionals" and can be struck off for not rendering aid to someone that needs it. Off duty this means you do what ever you can with the kit you have if that is just you then that's what you do.

This is completely incorrect.

There is no legal obligation for UK HCPs to render aid when off duty. This has been discussed at length here and elsewhere - legal obligations and moral obligations are not the same thing.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
So ran into this situation this evening. Saw a homeless man approaching my car with a large amount of blood running down his arm from a wound I didn't see how he got. He appeared to be agitated.

Anyone want to jump out if the car and help this guy? For the record I simply dialed 911 and drove away, the bleeding didn't appear to be arterial and I was in the middle of Arlington.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
So ran into this situation this evening. Saw a homeless man approaching my car with a large amount of blood running down his arm from a wound I didn't see how he got. He appeared to be agitated. Anyone want to jump out if the car and help this guy?

He just wanted a hug! :rolleyes:

/sarcasm

Sasha

Forum Chief
So ran into this situation this evening. Saw a homeless man approaching my car with a large amount of blood running down his arm from a wound I didn't see how he got. He appeared to be agitated.

Anyone want to jump out if the car and help this guy? For the record I simply dialed 911 and drove away, the bleeding didn't appear to be arterial and I was in the middle of Arlington.

Cheese and rice you heartless jerk. Its a human being and you selfishly put your safety above his. I will have your medic license for this. Didn't you read the EMT Oath on facebook? When you paid for your class you agreed that you will lay down your life for people. Your life is worth less.

Sarcam btw

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

blackhorse

Forum Ride Along
Wow, i haven't read through every reply but I have read enough to be shocked at how many could just simply turn a blind eye to someone in need. It's not something I'm capable of, I know I wouldn't be able to live peacefully with my conscious if I didn't at least try to do what I could until someone came to relieve me.

Sasha

Forum Chief
On another note..I got groped in a no no place by a homeless man who may or may not have pooped his pants. Found him on the ground on a median of a busy highway.

On shift.

Had I not been on shift I wouldnt have stopped.

Even with bright flashy lights and vest my partner almost got mowed down.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
It's easy to say that you wouldn't help if someone needed help in theory. It is quite different when the guy is lying on ground in front of you. If I can help someone even if its just the comfort of having someone there to hold their hand I'll do it. Obviously if the scene is not secure I'd wait till it was before offering to lend a hand.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
On another note..I got groped in a no no place by a homeless man who may or may not have pooped his pants. Found him on the ground on a median of a busy highway.

On shift.

Had I not been on shift I wouldnt have stopped.

Even with bright flashy lights and vest my partner almost got mowed down.

Glad to see you attract the winners ;).

Sasha

Forum Chief
Its foolish and insulting to assume those who have not stopped have never had to make that choice, bbg.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Wow, i haven't read through every reply but I have read enough to be shocked at how many could just simply turn a blind eye to someone in need. It's not something I'm capable of, I know I wouldn't be able to live peacefully with my conscious if I didn't at least try to do what I could until someone came to relieve me.

You should read through the thread then.
We said we wouldn't risk our health or safety when not on duty. If you keel over in the supermarket or the gym most are going to be a lot more willing to help but you wont see me on the side of the road at an accident unless I have a giant box with wheels and flashy lights and wingdings there as well.

Sasha

Forum Chief
You should read through the thread then.
We said we wouldn't risk our health or safety when not on duty. If you keel over in the supermarket or the gym most are going to be a lot more willing to help but you wont see me on the side of the road at an accident unless I have a giant box with wheels and flashy lights and wingdings there as well.

Your trucks have wingdings? I want wingdings.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member