How many of you carry a traumma bag in your POV

18G

Paramedic
You have a really :censored::censored::censored::censored: EMS system if it takes 15 minutes to get even first responders on scene. I used to work a very rural area and it was a huge deal if we had more than a 7 minute response time until the first person marked on scene. We averaged five to six minutes because we had someone assigned to get the vehicle(s) and if anyone else was responding and was closer, they went direct to the scene.

BTW, I can and will stop in extreme circumstances (I almost always stop for injured animals). However, it's a personal choice and I wasn't so offended by your comments as I was RocketMedic's.

I'm not pissed at any specific person, it's just the overall tone being presented in this thread like people are too good to be bothered with another person's problem when they are off-duty. Life is far from perfect and :censored::censored::censored::censored: happens. We deal with it. What goes around, comes around.

As far as the response time I was talking from the time it actually happened. From time of dispatch I know the ALS unit was on scene less than 5 mins cause their station was right down the road. I got there right after it happened. So yeah... if I kept going... 10mins for neighbor to come out, process, call 911, dispatch, crew goes responding... it would have been more time than the patient had.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
n=1. Just like how you could just as easily say it was the helicopter transport that saved the person, there are too many variables in this case to say that the patient would have died because of someone just calling it in or which intervention (if any) made the difference.

And you, usaf, well...I really, really am glad that you're not in my unit, my Army, or my half of Texas. It's attitudes like yours that make people lose faith in humanity. I wouldn't want you working on me, my family, my friends, or my patients.

When was the last time you got under a sliding MRAP to slip in and extricate your gunner into the vehicle before his arm was crushed by a crumpling turrent shield? By your ethics, I should have let that young man lose an arm instead of risking myself a little. I'm glad I'm not you.

RocketMedic

Really? So someone can have ineffective breathing to the point of near apnea in a trauma situation and do just fine by someone calling 911 and delaying intervention for another 10-15mins if not longer?

Of course! Air isn't important if it comes from an off-duty medic.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
And you, usaf, well...I really, really am glad that you're not in my unit, my Army, or my half of Texas. It's attitudes like yours that make people lose faith in humanity. I wouldn't want you working on me, my family, my friends, or my patients.

When was the last time you got under a sliding MRAP to slip in and extricate your gunner into the vehicle before his arm was crushed by a crumpling turrent shield? By your ethics, I should have let that young man lose an arm instead of risking myself a little. I'm glad I'm not you.

I know I said I was bowing out but...

It's about the totality of the circumstances. People are giving extreme examples, and yours in an even more atypical environment. Of course you'll jump in and do everything you can to help the people you fight for your life with every single day. I would and I'm sure USAF would, too.

No one is saying " :censored: the world, I'm not getting paid so you can all burn" but it's being contorted that way.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
My gripe is not about people not stopping at Fender Benders, I don't stop at fender benders. My gripe is those on this thread who would rather look the other way then grab the AED and provide CPR when the dude next to you on the treadmill at the gym goes into cardiac arrest during his workout. I vote we stop talking about car wrecks since "usually" an off duty person cannot do much to really make a difference in this situation. No one on this thread is bad mouthing those who will not run across lanes of freeway traffic to make sure the Minor MVC doesn't yield any stiff necks. But, we are dissapointed to hear some people would rather watch someone die then "possibly get sued"

RocketMedic

You have a really :censored::censored::censored::censored: EMS system if it takes 15 minutes to get even first responders on scene. I used to work a very rural area and it was a huge deal if we had more than a 7 minute response time until the first person marked on scene. We averaged five to six minutes because we had someone assigned to get the vehicle(s) and if anyone else was responding and was closer, they went direct to the scene.

BTW, I can and will stop in extreme circumstances (I almost always stop for injured animals). However, it's a personal choice and I wasn't so offended by your comments as I was RocketMedic's.

You have NO IDEA what 'rural' can be. In my system, we can literally go an hour between call and arrival at scene.

And usaf, it's a proven fact that millions of European Jews and their descendents are alive today because of brave soldiers and civilians who resisted the Nazi regime. Would Jews be extinct? No, but millions of people would be dead if it weren't for the sacrifices of those who fought to free them from concentration camps. If you're offended by that, you need to check yourself.

RocketMedic

I know I said I was bowing out but...

It's about the totality of the circumstances. People are giving extreme examples, and yours in an even more atypical environment. Of course you'll jump in and do everything you can to help the people you fight for your life with every single day. I would and I'm sure USAF would, too.

No one is saying " :censored: the world, I'm not getting paid so you can all burn" but it's being contorted that way.

With his comments and attitude, I don't think that he would. Hence why I wouldn't want him in-theater with me or my guys. If you're not willing to take a few manageable risks to help another, you need to get out of this business.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
My gripe is not about people not stopping at Fender Benders, I don't stop at fender benders. My gripe is those on this thread who would rather look the other way then grab the AED and provide CPR when the dude next to you on the treadmill at the gym goes into cardiac arrest during his workout. I vote we stop talking about car wrecks since "usually" an off duty person cannot do much to really make a difference in this situation. No one on this thread is bad mouthing those who will not run across lanes of freeway traffic to make sure the Minor MVC doesn't yield any stiff necks. But, we are dissapointed to hear some people would rather watch someone die then "possibly get sued"

I think part of the problem is this discussion always ends up about MVCs because like I said, it's glamorous.

I think most of us would perform CPR in the above scenario, just like offering band-aids/first aid if we had them for minor stuff.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
With his comments and attitude, I don't think that he would. Hence why I wouldn't want him in-theater with me or my guys. If you're not willing to take a few manageable risks to help another, you need to get out of this business.

I wouldn't call being on the roadway at night, with no blocking and nothing to enhance my visibility a manageable risk.

Every year a lot of LODD result from what people thought were managable risk.

RocketMedic

I wouldn't call being on the roadway at night, with no blocking and nothing to enhance my visibility a manageable risk.

Every year a lot of LODD result from what people thought were managable risk.

That's when your contribution may be as little as deploying warning equipment or signalling traffic from a safe location. I'm not saying every helper should bolt straight to the scene and dive in.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
I think part of the problem is this discussion always ends up about MVCs because like I said, it's glamorous.

I think most of us would perform CPR in the above scenario, just like offering band-aids/first aid if we had them for minor stuff.

Right, most of us would. But there are people in this thread who have straight up said they would not. And thats horrible.

Anyway, I am pulling out of this thread. Don't want to get kicked out of this forum!

RocketMedic

Same here. I've got better things to do.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Right, most of us would. But there are people in this thread who have straight up said they would not. And thats horrible.

Anyway, I am pulling out of this thread. Don't want to get kicked out of this forum!

I haven't seen a single person say that.

You all blew this way out of proportion.

Someone lock this crap please.

Sasha

Forum Chief
That is the right attitude. It is a personal choice. My main gripe with the people I took to task earlier is simply the "Well, if you don't do as I do ethically, you're a horrible human being" attitude.

Right? My little bleeding heart, feed the homeless, and protect the baby eaters self is a coward and not even human because i dont want to risk my life for a stranger, i would call 911 and keep driving in the event of an accident. Cause those are never dangerous.

I wish nomofica would pop onto this thread. His career ending injury on the scene of an accident would give good perspective. Hes not gonna be helping anyone now, what a selfish jerk. He should work through the pain. Afterall people could die.

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

Sasha

Forum Chief
That last bit was sarcasm, btw.

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

Altered Mental Status

Forum Crew Member
I don't think anybody is saying stop at every fender-bender you see and offer assistance. Do I do that? Of course not. But if it look's bad than I will stop.

One example, about 5am one morning on my way to work at a FD... daylight is just barely breaking. I catch out of the very corner of my eye what looks like steam on the side of the road... it was just a slight glimpse but I've seen it enough to know what it looked like which was a car into a utility pole. I could have maintained the attitude of many on this forum and kept going.. heaven forbid I'm late for work because of someone else, right?

So, I turn around and low and behold it's a very mangled car smack into a utility pole. I found an unconscious 18 y/o male hanging half way out of the drivers seat with a seat belt pulled tight across his chest which was inhibiting respiration almost to the point of apnea, lacerations, and head injury. I also encountered an 18 y/o female distraught sitting on the hood of the vehicle... she actually crawled up on the hood from the inside of the vehicle after the windshield was knocked out on impact.

Long story short, I cut the seat belt and free the driver... patient is still not breathing well. Airway is opened, OPA inserted, and start ventilating with a BVM. By this time a neighbor comes out with a cordless phone, I tell the neighbor to call 911 and inform them an EMT is on the scene and to start aviation.. the EOC listened and started the helicopter. EMS arrives, I give them a report, they end up intubating the patient and fly to a trauma center.

This kid's mother somehow ended up hearing about what happened and the care I rendered to her son. She called the State Police to get my name. After she got my name she called my EMS station and talked to the EMS Chief to get my phone# so she could call and thank me personally. Not only that, but both the mom and the patient I helped save came to the station when I was working to thank me personally. They even wanted to take a picture with me.

If I hadn't stopped at that scene the outcome could have been completely different. That patient would not have tolerated being asphyxiated by his seatbelt much longer.

So to those who would have kept driving, you would have sealed this kids fate and made his mother visit the cemetery instead of a fire house to thank someone who thought enough about her son to put fourth a little effort to prevent that from happening.

If it's ever one of my kids in an accident, I hope and pray that someone will care enough about their life to stop and help.

I honestly don't get it people, I really don't. To turn your face like you saw nothing and keep driving and going about your day while someone else lay dying. I'm not sure it goes much lower than that.

This is a wonderful story. It' also most likely the minority.

What would have happened if you'd gotten there 5 minutes later? Possibly kid would have asphyxiated, you'd have BVMd him and he'd have suffered irreparable hypoxia and brain damage regardless of your interventions. Mom wouldn't have understood and you'd have been sued. With no Medical Control, you'd be a sitting duck. Mom would be in agony and would always wonder if you were the one who messed up her kid.

That would be a tragedy. You seem like a top-notch EMT...one I certainly would want on MY truck.

Last edited by a moderator:

IRIDEZX6R

Forum Captain
This is a wonderful story. It' also most likely the minority.

What would have happened if you'd gotten there 5 minutes later? Possibly kid would have asphyxiated, you'd have BVMd him and he'd have suffered irreparable hypoxia and brain damage regardless of your interventions. Mom wouldn't have understood and you'd have been sued. With no Medical Control, you'd be a sitting duck. Mom would be in agony and would always wonder if you were the one who messed up her kid.

That would be a tragedy. You seem like a top-notch EMT...one I certainly would want on MY truck.

This is one of those issues.. I'd have to go with my gut... I carry malpractice insurance... For myself, not through my employer... just in case...

Gray

Forum Lieutenant
I keep some gloves, 4 x4's and a few band-aids etc in my car, for my use or family's use. Anyone else gets a 911 call. Sorry I am not about to get sued for being nice.

ArcticKat

Forum Captain
I am appalled...

I have a F/A kit in my cars, plane, and boat. The last two are legally required.

If I saw someone in distress I will stop to help, and I am gonna stop to help now.

I am disgusted with those of you who call Sasha, Dixie, Epi, et al names because they choose not to stop and assist.

I choose to stop, they do not. It is their right to make that choice. Calling them names because they choose not to stop is immature, irresponsible, and unprofessional.

It is unfortunate that the OP couldn't have just put up a poll and locked the thread to comments, because all he wanted to know is if we carry one, not all this judging and egotistical finger pointing.

I'm disappointed that these people who could help choose not to, but I'm more disappointed in those of you who think you're better than them because you will.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
i have a f/a kit in my cars, plane, and boat. The last two are legally required.

If i saw someone in distress i will stop to help, and i am gonna stop to help now.

I am disgusted with those of you who call sasha, dixie, epi, et al names because they choose not to stop and assist.

I choose to stop, they do not. It is their right to make that choice. Calling them names because they choose not to stop is immature, irresponsible, and unprofessional.

It is unfortunate that the op couldn't have just put up a poll and locked the thread to comments, because all he wanted to know is if we carry one, not all this judging and egotistical finger pointing.

I'm disappointed that these people who could help choose not to, but i'm more disappointed in those of you who think you're better than them because you will.

amen.