How long in the field before medic school?

ErinCooley

Forum Lieutenant
I've been in the field, full time on a 911 ALS truck for 6 months.

I've been eyeing a paramedic program offered at a tech school about 1 hour from home.. heard so many great things about the program and some of the better medics I know went thru their class.

Anyway, I've just found out that the same instructor will be doing a private class in my town (the town were I live, not work!) beginning in February. I'm not positive that I will even be able to get in, I'm thinking about trying

that will give me 1 year in the field before I even begin paramedic school.

Thoughts?

Both my partner and supervisor that I ride with regularly are encouraging, saying that I will be ready, I admit that I'm a little worried about being too green.

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm fresh out of basic school, been working as a first responder for 5 years but no experience on the rig and I'm currently top of my class for medic. Don't get yourself psyched out about needing to know everything before you start class, that's what class is for. I think you'll be fine as long as you're willing to put the effort into learning the material.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
try and get in. you got enough experience.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Personally, if possible by-pass the Basic level altogether and go to Paramedic. There is NO reason why one would should have to pursue a basic first, if the program was a decent one.

Find an accredited program that has rigorous clinical sites. You will do fine and as everyone else has done, gained experience working. Rather you will obtaining experience as a Paramedic and will be there superior others will still be at the same spot gaining experience.

R/r 911

Hastings

Noobie
Go straight from Basic to Medic School.

Any experience you need will be obtained once you start the program.

Medexpresso

Forum Probie
I waited about three years after working on the trucks as an EMT-B before going to Paramedic school. I'm glad I did because even fresh out of Paramedic school it took me a while to be comfortable and confident with the whole concept. Sometimes, and I'm guilty of this myself, a lot of Paramedics forget the "basics" once they become ALS. you can't perform good ALS if you can't perform good BLS. Hope that helps some!

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
bangHeadAgainstWall.gif

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
ha, kev you should just put that picture into your sig so you don't have to keep posting it all the time.

JPINFV

Gadfly
a lot of Paramedics forget the "basics" once they become ALS. you can't perform good ALS if you can't perform good BLS. Hope that helps some!

If a paramedic forget the "basics" because he's all "ZOMG I GET TO START AN IV!!!!!1111!!11!!," then he needs to find another line of work.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
Amen, KEVD18. Amen.

stephenrb81

Forum Lieutenant
Working for a hospital based system prepared me for when we hit pharmacology in our Medic program. I already knew a majority of the drugs trade/generic names and the primary indications, so I had to work more on memorizing dosages and mechanisms of action while everyone else was working on just the names. I also had a grasp of electrolytes, blood gases, etc... But that wasn't solely because I waited and worked in an ER, I *wanted* to learn so I was always asking "What's that" and researching on my own time

Medexpresso

Forum Probie
just trying to be helpful, I've seen it in happen, I'm not saying it happens in a bad way it just happens....just something to consider as you enter paramedic school, as paramedics know it can be overwhelming what you have to cram into your head in a short period of time...most overcome it though

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
We have had people here go from their year long (1500hr), PCP class, work casual the summer, then roll right into the ACP (EMT-P), program for another year. They come out with 1000hr experience on the trucks as a student. Half as a PCP, half as an ACP and some casual hrs as a PCP. The vast majority do OK when they hit the streets as an ACP. Others will do several years as a PCP or ICP before going to ACP school. They also tend to do OK when they come out. The ones that don't do OK are the ones who don't work at it or slide by with a poor preceptor. Some are just book smart but don't have common sense and can't put theory into physical practice.

Bottom line, its constant learning, from books, good instructors, Drs., medics(good and bad), past calls, everything. You can be what ever kind of medic you want to be, really good, bad or so so. If you work at it, hard, you will probably do OK.

Best of luck whichever you choose.

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
In alberta Canadaone has to be at a lower ems designation before they can be admitted to a higher one.

to be admitted to an emt program one has to be an emr which is equal to a emt-b in the us

to be admitted to the emt paramedic program you have to be a emt

that's because the licensing body in alberta the Alberta College of Paramedics will only license those who have held the lower designation to be eligible to be a emt and to write the emt exam and to be licensed you have to be an emr
to be a paramedic you have to be a licensed emt the only designation that does not require this is emr since thats the lowest ems designation.

mikie

Forum Lurker
Sorry KEV, it seems like this thread has been revived.
---
I think that a basic should have SOME field and patient experience before perusing medic. Maybe some sort of internship the medic schools offers beforehand for those who can't get an EMS job.

At my school, people are in basic class right now and they'll go straight to medic within another semester. I think it's too soon (especially for some of them).

moonfire197

Forum Ride Along
I worked 4 years full time as an EMT-B before going to Medic School. I am what I am calling a 99% Paramedic because I passed the written and 11 of 12 practical stations. Have to retake my seated immobilization because I forgot to say BSI yes the dumbest reason to fail and I did it. I felt in four years I had a good base knowledge to make the class a little bit easier. Get good a basics and then worry about learning and doing the advanced stuff. I have seen medics forget about the basics and jump right to the advanced care. It has nothing to do with getting excited about getting to start and IV or do and advanced treatment. It is just because they forget the basics and go right to advanced treatment. It doesn't make a medic bad it is just getting ahead of yourself. I don't really think an EMT-B should be telling a medic to find another field of work because they forget on a call to do a basic skill. It happens nobody is perfect.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
every time this comes up, i die a little inside.

i would venture a guess this one is either tied with, or running close second too, "vollie v. paid" in terms of new threads...........

JPINFV

Gadfly
It doesn't make a medic bad it is just getting ahead of yourself. I don't really think an EMT-B should be telling a medic to find another field of work because they forget on a call to do a basic skill. It happens nobody is perfect.

Isn't there word used to describe a treatment plan that neglects something so basic that would result with an EMT-B "saving" a paramedic? I think it starts with an "m" and ends with "alpractice."

/no illusions that he has ever "saved" an EMT-P, RN, or RT that he has worked with.

Maybe there was a reason they skipped the "basic skill"?

Oh, pleeaaasssee. Everyone knows that emergency rooms always start with an OPA and the ER tech bagging the patient and only move on to an advanced airway only if the patient isn't getting adequate oxygenation. Similarly, patients with fractures only get morphine (or other pain medication) only if an ice pack doesn't work. [/sarcasm]

Last edited by a moderator: