How long in the field before medic school?

Foxbat

Forum Captain
I don't quite understand the usefulness of humanities and science prerequirements.
I have taken 5 semesters of maths, 2 semesters of chemistry, 2 semesters of physics, technical writing, physical anthropology... And I don't think it made me a better EMT and I doubt it would make me a better paramedic if I decide to become one (although it was pretty interesting to see real human skeletons). From what I heard about "maths for paramedics", it does not involve anything more complicated than dimensional analysis (and they teach it in high school).
A&P - sure, this is another story, and I am considering taking it if I decide to pursue a minor in bioengineering and/or enter a paramedic program (yeah, I'm then going to continue volunteering and bring medics' salaries down, I'm a bad person, I know), but all the other stuff?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I don't quite understand the usefulness of humanities and science prerequirements.
I have taken 5 semesters of maths, 2 semesters of chemistry, 2 semesters of physics, technical writing, physical anthropology... And I don't think it made me a better EMT and I doubt it would make me a better paramedic if I decide to become one (although it was pretty interesting to see real human skeletons). From what I heard about "maths for paramedics", it does not involve anything more complicated than dimensional analysis (and they teach it in high school).
A&P - sure, this is another story, and I am considering taking it if I decide to pursue a minor in bioengineering and/or enter a paramedic program (yeah, I'm then going to continue volunteering and bring medics' salaries down, I'm a bad person, I know), but all the other stuff?

Well the reason you don't understand it is simple. You don't understand medicine nor the profession of healthcare. Period.

R/r 911

Foxbat

Forum Captain
Thanks, that was very helpful and informative. Now I understand reasoning behind gen. ed. requirements so much better :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Thanks, that was very helpful. Now I understand it so much better :rolleyes:

You seem to have already made up your mind that education is useless for the Paramedic. So, as long as the company you work for has "easy to follow" recipes and they show you what knobs to turn on the technology, you will probably get by without knowing much about medicine. Since you already have closed your mind to the advantages of being an educated Paramedic, you'll probably even miss how the college classes you have obtained could be of use.

Foxbat

Forum Captain
You seem to have already made up your mind that education is useless for the Paramedic. So, as long as the company you work for has "easy to follow" recipes and they show you what knobs to turn on the technology, you will probably get by without knowing much about medicine. Since you already have closed your mind to the advantages of being an educated Paramedic, you'll probably even miss how the college classes you have obtained could be of use.
When did I say education is useless? If the paramedic is educated in anatomy and physiology, cell biology, pharmacology, psychology, history of medicine, perhaps sociology - this is one thing.
But could you please explain me how would, say, physics or inorganic chemistry (it would require much deeper knowledge to start understand effects of toxins and drugs on body) help me help my patients?

VentMedic

Forum Chief
When did I say education is useless? If the paramedic is educated in anatomy and physiology, cell biology, pharmacology, psychology, history of medicine, perhaps sociology - this is one thing.
But could you please explain me how would, say, physics or inorganic chemistry (it would require much deeper knowledge to start understand effects of toxins and drugs on body) help me help my patients?

Then let me open your eyes to just the world of Cardiopulmonary medicine.

Physics: Very few people know enough gas laws to operate even the most basic O2 equipment. Then, for just breathing, you should be able to understand more than just the over simplified blurb in the EMT and Paramedic texts. How about altitude changes? Dive medicine?

Ever try to explain CPAP to someone who has not clue about flows, restitance, work of breathing and pressures either applied to the equipment or how they cause physiological changes in the body? Or how about ventilators? Usually you end up just showing them what knob to turn and give them a recipe which may or may not be appropriate for the patient. Bad Bad Medicine when you don't understand how a piece of equipment works and its relationship to the body. It is also why some EMS agencies get sold some crap for equipment because no one is EDUCATED enough to make an informed purchase and end up with way more equipment or too little. Example: Paramedics trying to do interfacility CCT with an ATV (automatic transport ventilator).

How about understanding the various medical gases used: HeliOx, Nitric Oxide, Nitrogen, Carbon Dioxide that are commonly used besides Oxygen?

How about the heart? Do you understand the flow and pressures within the heart or vascular system? If someone says resistance, velocity or mmHg or cmH20, are those "just terms" or do you actually have an understanding of the relationship?

Chemistry: We recently has a thread about Albuterol and Xopenex. If one is knowledgable in chemistry they would know the difference in formulation between the two drugs. With knowledge of chemistry, you would also be able to know more about what meds are not compatible or compatible. One of the most common mistakes CCT Paramedics make is trying to use one line for everything. Thus, RNs must either set up their meds for them before departure or accompany the patient.

More chemistry: how about acid-base of the body? Wow! That's a huge area and most Paramedics struggle with that subject. Some never get it. Nutrition? Diabetes?

All of these classes will enable you to read and understand the latest articles in medical journals instead of the watered down JEMS. You may even be able to establish research in EMS at a scientific level where very few Paramedics participate due to lack of education. It is very hard to write a scientific paper that will withstand various validity tests or even get it noticed when your education is 700 hours of training.

Now, I used just examples from Cardiopulmonary medicine. Read articles from the medical journals of any medical profession or just look at the text books from other medical professionals such as RN, RRT, PT, OT, SLT, RT etc. They are not written at a 10th grade level like the Paramedic text because those entering these professions are EXPECTED to have completed those prerequisites before starting the classes of their profession.

Last edited by a moderator:

Foxbat

Forum Captain
You mean they don't teach that in medic school - flow, resistanse, pH and pOH, buffers, compatibility of drugs???

VentMedic

Forum Chief
From what I heard about "maths for paramedics", it does not involve anything more complicated than dimensional analysis (and they teach it in high school).

You already said most of it yourself.

In the FEW hours (500 - 1100 total) of training in many Paramedic programs, the "whys" of medicine are rarely discussed more than a brief introduction.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Again, if one truly understood medicine this debate would not even occur. So I close by saying it again.

R/r 911