How do you wash your uniform?

Billyd

Forum Ride Along
Been working for about 6 months and work 2-3 times per week. I use Tide detergent and softener and even a lint roller but notice my uniform shirt still has fuzz and even is fading a bit. I was wondering what you guys do to keep your uniform in good shape? Seems like using the best detergent and softner along with the delicate setting on the washer isn't working too well lol

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
All of my polo uniforms have had pilling, not as fast as yours seem to be. I've never done anything special, except I wash my uniforms separate from my non work clothes and I add Lysol laundry disinfectant.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
I get my uniform tops dry cleaned. Pressed and heavy starch. They look crisp and clean and no hair.

People tell me how new they look and how nice the edges are. Makes me feel like the little things are sometimes noticed

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
All of my polo uniforms have had pilling, not as fast as yours seem to be. I've never done anything special, except I wash my uniforms separate from my non work clothes and I add Lysol laundry disinfectant.
This is what I do. We have the Nomex issued uniforms, and its just a seperate load for me (i.e. normal clothes, whites, uniforms), make sure I use that Lysol Laundry Sanitizer stuff (which nearly every store was out of lately ugh)
I get my uniform tops dry cleaned. Pressed and heavy starch. They look crisp and clean and no hair.

People tell me how new they look and how nice the edges are. Makes me feel like the little things are sometimes noticed
I used to do this at my previous FD based Ambulance Operator job where we AOs didn't get the Nomex and they (the Dept) still wanted military creases and the like. Got a bit pricey, but soooo much more convenient (my current department is far less military uniform style, they dont really care about creases or shiny boots unless youre in Headquarters lol, so I really only spend the money on dry cleaning nowadays of theres a particular stain or whatever I want out)

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
This is what I do. We have the Nomex issued uniforms, and its just a seperate load for me (i.e. normal clothes, whites, uniforms), make sure I use that Lysol Laundry Sanitizer stuff (which nearly every store was out of lately ugh)
I used to do this at my previous FD based Ambulance Operator job where we AOs didn't get the Nomex and they (the Dept) still wanted military creases and the like. Got a bit pricey, but soooo much more convenient (my current department is far less military uniform style, they dont really care about creases or shiny boots unless youre in Headquarters lol, so I really only spend the money on dry cleaning nowadays of theres a particular stain or whatever I want out)

Shirts are like a dollar something to do? Apparently that's cheap. I dunno. I like the look and don't mind the cost.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
How to wash uniforms:
1. Get married.
2. Throw uniforms in the laundry basket.
3. Let your wife sort it out.

I'm kidding...sort of.

White shirts need hot water and bleach. Colored shirts and pants don't. Remove all from the dryer promptly and hang.

Pro tip: Before doing any of the above, check pockets for spare gloves, rolls of tape, tedious memos from management, pens, penlights, spare electrodes, loose change, trauma shears, cellophane wrappers, Chinese take-out menus, spare ET/BVM adapters, narc seals, IV-drip cheat sheets, spare O2 seals, old EKGs, cellphones, wallets, knives, lists of patients' prescription meds, spare alcohol wipes, key rings, window punches, and that hemostat you never use.

FiremanMike

Just a dude
We're fortunate to have an extractor at work that'll kill infectious diseases.. I use that and I don't wear my uniforms home..

RedBlanketRunner

Opheophagus Hannah Cuddler
Pro tip: Before doing any of the above, check pockets for spare gloves, rolls of tape, tedious memos from management, pens, penlights, spare electrodes, loose change, trauma shears, cellophane wrappers, Chinese take-out menus, spare ET/BVM adapters, narc seals, IV-drip cheat sheets, spare O2 seals, old EKGs, cellphones, wallets, knives, lists of patients' prescription meds, spare alcohol wipes, key rings, window punches, and that hemostat you never use.
And tissue.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
My Samsung washer has a fancy steam sanitize setting.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Flight job: toss the flight suit in the wash with hot water either after every COVID flight or every couple of flights when they start to smell.

Ground job: toss it into a huge laundry hamper at the main deployment. A week later they magically show up in my locker washed and pressed.