How do you know if someone is a volunteer EMT?

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Don't worry, they will tell you. :eek:

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
If they don't, their car certainly will.

car_interior1.jpg

Epi-do

I see dead people
Don't forget the belt, complete with CPR shield, gloves, trauma shears, pen light, 4 pagers, and 6 radios.

Fire51

Forum Lieutenant
That pic of the car is funny but at the same time a little ridiculous, why would you need all of that!

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
It's funny, but prior to radio consolidation, the medic units used to have 3 radios... VHF, low band for fire, and UHF for C-MED. And we had three portables. :/

It was a whacker's dream job.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
It's funny, but prior to radio consolidation, the medic units used to have 3 radios... VHF, low band for fire, and UHF for C-MED. And we had three portables. :/

It was a whacker's dream job.

My part time place has an 800, VHF digital, and low band in the cab, along with portables for each. It is a disaster. Such is life covering parts of four counties.

Rest assured that we tar and feather whackers however.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
My part time place has an 800, VHF digital, and low band in the cab, along with portables for each. It is a disaster. Such is life covering parts of four counties.

Rest assured that we tar and feather whackers however.

We have a thing called a RIOS patch that lets our dispatchers make a patch between us and the neighboring jurisdictions. It's pretty cool.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
In Delaware, we have a state wide 800 system. It's pretty nice, over 90% of the state is portable coverage. We never even have to use the radio in the truck.

Of course, people in Texas have bigger backyards than the state of Delaware…

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Where I work (not EMS unfortunately), we use a trunked 800 MHz system. It works REALLY well... We have great coverage throughout the county. The Sheriff's Department and all the Fire Departments use this system. The 911 system is primarily fire-based, so they need that system. The CHP uses their own comm system. The county's system can be tied into any of the systems throughout the region, so there's a LOT of flexibility there.

Personally, I very much prefer lower band VHF for certain applications, primarily backup, for county-wide communications.

Of course, I'm also a HAM and have LOTS of frequencies on tap... and I have quite a decent little radio that works really well for listening to some systems. I don't have a scanner that can pick up the re-banded TRS here now, but that's not a big deal to me. VHF/UHF works well for those applications that I need it for. And it doesn't look like I have a big radio pack on when I'm wearing my little radio. ;)

No, I'm not a volunteer, but I would just so that I can keep my skills up in the prehospital arena.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
We have a thing called a RIOS patch that lets our dispatchers make a patch between us and the neighboring jurisdictions. It's pretty cool.

We had something like that at my old company that we enabled every night. We used to to link our OC and SD units together.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Sorry but am I missing something here? I can't see why having a doll hanging from your mirror makes you a whacker :wacko:
I think it's the doll that's hanging by a NOOSE that causes the whacker status... :rofl:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Is that a radar dector on the windshield?

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Radar Detector? Why, yes it is...

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Wow. That was my first and last time trying to use the speak to text on my phone.
I can only imagine the hilarity of incomphensibility that ensued...

74restore

Forum Crew Member
If they don't, their car certainly will.

car_interior1.jpg

Does anyone else notice the Spotlight style light in the far upper left corner? Or how about the cigarette lighter hanging on the ground to the right of the radios to make room for them?
Holy whacker....