Hennepin County Medical Center is hiring for paramedics

BossmanGifford

Forum Crew Member
Hi guys,

Just wanted y'all to know that HCMC is hiring a lot of paramedics right now. If you don't know anything about them, I'd see the flyer I attached. Sounds like a good gig if you're cold blooded or can get over the cold for a career job.

18766475_1347544905325866_1324529990324048613_o.jpg

OP
OP
B

BossmanGifford

Forum Crew Member
Heh, I'm actually scheduled for an interview in August.

OP
OP
B

BossmanGifford

Forum Crew Member
I hope you do well. They are having a lot of retirements in the last couple of years. Are you doing it in person or online?
I'm doing it in person. If you're on the interviewing board, you'll probably find I'm the only Texan there. It looks like a great agency and with retirements like that, it sounds like a great place to be. Do you work there currently?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I had a phone interview and was invited out, but declined. My wife decided that the practice that was courting her, while nice, was in a part of the country that was too damn cold. A bit disappointing, I like what they're doing there.

OP
OP
B

BossmanGifford

Forum Crew Member
I had a phone interview and was invited out, but declined. My wife decided that the practice that was courting her, while nice, was in a part of the country that was too damn cold. A bit disappointing, I like what they're doing there.
She isn't wrong. I just don't want to work 24s or be a basic for a year at ATCEMS or longer so I can practice at an okay scope (I live in Austin). I made a list of agencies to apply at if I couldn't get hired at a few select agencies around here where I would tolerate 24s. I wanted somewhere that worked shifts not as long as 24s, with a pension, good pay, and top of the line equipment. Hennepin was just at the top of the list.

For me, the weather will suck, but the job and the respect I would get for myself not working IFT at a dead end gig would outweigh it. I'll get used to the cold.

OP
OP
B

BossmanGifford

Forum Crew Member
You didn't look at Sussex County DE?
Nah, they're on the list though. After HCMC, it's a toss up if I apply at SCEMS or DG in Denver.

The schedule of two 12s in the day, 2 at night sucks **** though. I want a normal sleep schedule.

Last edited:

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
2 12 hour days and 2 12 hour nights? With 4 off? And copious PTO? Nothing sucks about that. Different strokes though. I still miss it every day.

OP
OP
B

BossmanGifford

Forum Crew Member
2 12 hour days and 2 12 hour nights? With 4 off? And copious PTO? Nothing sucks about that. Different strokes though. I still miss it every day.
I like regularlity in schedule. It's why I don't want to do 24s. Everything else sounds great.

captaindepth

Forum Lieutenant
We do 4 10hr shifts a week at Denver Health ("DG"). A shift "pick" last 4 months and then another round of shift picks before the next 4 month block begins, all seniority based (time with the division). Earliest start times are 0500 and the latest start time is 2130.

OP
OP
B

BossmanGifford

Forum Crew Member
We do 4 10hr shifts a week at Denver Health ("DG"). A shift "pick" last 4 months and then another round of shift picks before the next 4 month block begins, all seniority based (time with the division). Earliest start times are 0500 and the latest start time is 2130.
Do you enjoy it? I used to work around the Denver Metro. Y'all still using the Fernos?

VentMonkey

Family Guy
@BossmanGifford you're a stones throw away from arguably 1 of 2 of the only EMS systems I would ever seriously contemplate going back to the ground full-time for. Why not Wilco EMS?

@NomadicMedic knows all too well what, and where SCEMS is on that "1 of 2 list".

Edit: sorry for the thread hijack to all of my Twin City EMS peeps. I at one time seriously considered HCEMS, and it still does seem very much like a legitimate career-EMS service. Aside from the freezing cold, Minneapolis seems really cool, plus I've been dying to try a true "Juicy Lucy".

@cruiseforever are the fire departments in these areas ALS,BLS, EMR, or a mix of any of the above. Also, how busy of a system is it call-volume-to-unit-wise?

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BossmanGifford

Forum Crew Member
@BossmanGifford you're a stones throw away from arguably 1 of 2 of the only EMS systems I would ever seriously contemplate going back to the ground full-time for. Why not Wilco EMS?

@NomadicMedic knows all too well what, and where SCEMS is on that "1 of 2 list".
Because I don't agree with working in a grant funded position and I don't want to work 24s.

I've seen people in non EMS positions get screwed about grant funding being pulled.

captaindepth

Forum Lieutenant
Do you enjoy it? I used to work around the Denver Metro. Y'all still using the Fernos?

I love it. Great place to work and I truly enjoy it.

Yep still got the good ol' prams. Supposedly we are upgrading our ambulance fleet (including the stretchers :) but I haven't heard any updates about that in about 6 months.

OP
OP
B

BossmanGifford

Forum Crew Member
I love it. Great place to work and I truly enjoy it.

Yep still got the good ol' prams. Supposedly we are upgrading our ambulance fleet (including the stretchers :) but I haven't heard any updates about that in about 6 months.
I remember the first time I said Pram in Louisiana after leaving Colorado.

I got sooooo many weird looks.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I feel you on 24s, brother. I'm at Creek now and our 24s are generally stand-up busy. They're why I work the peak truck, 12-hour shifts.

With that being said, Hennepin looks cool but my wife's tied to Juarez and Minnesota is a long way from home. I can honestly see myself going to Alamogordo or Las Cruces or some Western Texas action one day.