Hennepin County Medical Center is hiring for paramedics

OP
OP
B

BossmanGifford

Forum Crew Member
I feel you on 24s, brother. I'm at Creek now and our 24s are generally stand-up busy. They're why I work the peak truck, 12-hour shifts.

With that being said, Hennepin looks cool but my wife's tied to Juarez and Minnesota is a long way from home. I can honestly see myself going to Alamogordo or Las Cruces or some Western Texas action one day.
I've heard that Rankin County Hospital District pays very well.

To be honest though, you sacrificing your health for others is wrong, even if you're married. I'd try Denver health.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
That's what I mean. The problem is not necessarily 24-hour shifts if the workload is light, the problem is 24-hour shifts when the workload is heavy (a UHU over 0.4, for example, if I had to cherry-pick a breaking point). Denver Health looks very interesting, and I do have a Colorado paramedic license, but for now I'm knocking out school here in Houston.

In the future, I reckon I'm going to have to look at transitioning into an educational or leadership role if I want to use these degrees. The sad truth is that field EMS doesn't give me the opportunity to use that education the way it ought to be used.

OP
OP
B

BossmanGifford

Forum Crew Member
That's what I mean. The problem is not necessarily 24-hour shifts if the workload is light, the problem is 24-hour shifts when the workload is heavy (a UHU over 0.4, for example, if I had to cherry-pick a breaking point). Denver Health looks very interesting, and I do have a Colorado paramedic license, but for now I'm knocking out school here in Houston.

In the future, I reckon I'm going to have to look at transitioning into an educational or leadership role if I want to use these degrees. The sad truth is that field EMS doesn't give me the opportunity to use that education the way it ought to be used.
One of my best friends worked at CCEMS for years, and I really don't think it's a good agency for long term growth unless you're butt buddies with the admin, from what he told me. He did have a falling out of sorts though.

To be honest, I'm also really interested in working at a smaller agencies in New Mexico, like Taos or Silver City. They work 24s, but with how slow it would be it wouldn't be like working in the city.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
She isn't wrong. I just don't want to work 24s or be a basic for a year at ATCEMS or longer so I can practice at an okay scope (I live in Austin). I made a list of agencies to apply at if I couldn't get hired at a few select agencies around here where I would tolerate 24s. I wanted somewhere that worked shifts not as long as 24s, with a pension, good pay, and top of the line equipment. Hennepin was just at the top of the list.

For me, the weather will suck, but the job and the respect I would get for myself not working IFT at a dead end gig would outweigh it. I'll get used to the cold.

Come play in Galveston. Just saying lol

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I remember the first time I said Pram in Louisiana after leaving Colorado.

I got sooooo many weird looks.

Worked in centennial then back to NM for a while. That whole pram thing and COR0 was weird

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
One of my best friends worked at CCEMS for years, and I really don't think it's a good agency for long term growth unless you're butt buddies with the admin, from what he told me. He did have a falling out of sorts though.

To be honest, I'm also really interested in working at a smaller agencies in New Mexico, like Taos or Silver City. They work 24s, but with how slow it would be it wouldn't be like working in the city.

Gila regional actually does a mix of 12s and 24s.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I'd be okay with never living in or near Houston again. Aren't they doing 12s now?

Abiut to swap. With a decent pay raise. It'll be a 2/3/2 type matrix. We just did our last bid for 24s that will take us through November or so when the 12s roll out.

OP
OP
B

BossmanGifford

Forum Crew Member
Abiut to swap. With a decent pay raise. It'll be a 2/3/2 type matrix. We just did our last bid for 24s that will take us through November or so when the 12s roll out.

How much y'all making now?

RocketMedic

@TransportJockey , can you learn me some on Silver City/Gila Regional? Them and Las Cruces AMR are intriguing.

Cypress Creek ain't bad, but the stand-up 24s are dangerous and the peak truck I'm on does feel like somewhat of a dead end. I don't feel there's a lot of promotional opportunity either.

RocketMedic

I heard AMR-Alamogordo is mixed between 12s and 24s now too.

OP
OP
B

BossmanGifford

Forum Crew Member
@TransportJockey , can you learn me some on Silver City/Gila Regional? Them and Las Cruces AMR are intriguing.

Cypress Creek ain't bad, but the stand-up 24s are dangerous and the peak truck I'm on does feel like somewhat of a dead end. I don't feel there's a lot of promotional opportunity either.
I'm a bit intimidated by the cross country move, but I can't think of anything in Texas comparable to that service other than maybe MedStar, but even then..

What are some other agencies that are considered top tier to you? I need to make a bigger list.

RocketMedic

Medstar and Hennepin are two completely different operations though. At its core, Medstar is a 501(c)3 nonprofit corporation that is contracted to provide ambulance service to the cities they serve; they're fundamentally a private service and run like it. Hennepin is actually a government service, run through the hospital, with public benefits and a union. The closest analogue to Hennepin I can think of would actually be someplace like Denver General or MCHD here in Texas. Both have their benefits (Medstar can be a little more flexible, dedicated to EMS, etc; while Hennepin/DG/etc are a greater part of the whole), but in a vacuum, I'd go public over private any day if your goal is high-functioning and lifestyle-oriented.

RocketMedic

For me, the 24/48 is the worst possible schedule to run, because it's essentially a long death slog of work, recovery and preparation and it is an excuse to literally consume at least 33% of someone's life for average pay at best. A 48/96 is actually preferable to me because it front-loads all of that time into a manageable block of time and still gives three functional days off, but you've got to balance fatigue and UHU against this convenience. For somewhere like Colorado County, TX or the I-10 corridor? It makes plenty of sense. Low volume, long trips, a distributed workforce that has to drive a lot to get into work? Perfect sense. For someplace like Fort Bend County, with a population pushing 1 million and an EMS system build for 600k? Madness.

12s, on the other hand, aren't perfect either. For one, the push to 12s is a step towards SSM, which chews people up and sets a tone of "meat in the seat". It is possible to make 12s attractive, challenging, educational and fun, but it takes a lot of work, and it makes those shifts more expensive in terms of everything from salary to maintenance. If you want to see this in action, look at MedicWest in Las Vegas- AMR seems to have managed to go a long way towards extinguishing what made shifts fun and they're starting to founder if Facebook is to be believed. Second, for rural places, 12s suck for a lot of employees if they're commuting in and leads to cumulative fatigue, especially if a late call is tossed in.

cruiseforever

Forum Asst. Chief
No, I do not work for HCMC. I work for a couple of the other Metro West services. I have had friends at HCMC, but the last of them just retired. I was just thinking that if you are going to be in the area and like the area. You might want to look at some of the other services in the Metro area. Most of them are looking for medics.

A few would be North Memorial, Health East, Allina Health, Ridgeview Medical Center, Burnsville Fire. All but Burnsville, are hospital based/owned.

OP
OP
B

BossmanGifford

Forum Crew Member
No, I do not work for HCMC. I work for a couple of the other Metro West services. I have had friends at HCMC, but the last of them just retired. I was just thinking that if you are going to be in the area and like the area. You might want to look at some of the other services in the Metro area. Most of them are looking for medics.

A few would be North Memorial, Health East, Allina Health, Ridgeview Medical Center, Burnsville Fire. All but Burnsville, are hospital based/owned.
Heh, I wouldn't live anywhere that cold if I didn't get a pension also.

Hah!

RocketMedic

Didn't North Memorial just make social media for firing a helicopter crash survivor for going to rehab instead of his busywork as a BLS chart checker?

OP
OP
B

BossmanGifford

Forum Crew Member
Didn't North Memorial just make social media for firing a helicopter crash survivor for going to rehab instead of his busywork as a BLS chart checker?
2df735fe5ea01f0b819cafcc693f5bcf.jpg

RocketMedic

It's a good window into hope a company treats people. High profile event, no fault of his own, major injuries he's trying to recover from....and they fire him. Tells us a lot about how they treat their people.