Help - Got a Reckless Driving Ticket

Rachael Hill

Forum Ride Along
My dream is to go to grad school for PA and I would love the chance to become an EMT to help myself get into a good school. However, I recently got a reckless driving ticket for going 85 in a 70, no alcohol was involved. I wanted to know if there was still any chance I could be hired an an EMT.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
A reckless driving charge will greatly reduce your options for being hired as an EMT since in the majority of systems use EMTs as the driver. You may be able to find a company that will allow you to be a tech only but those spots are limited.

A reckless driving citation for 15mph above the speed limit seems extremely harsh..

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I would say hire a lawyer, see if they can get it deferred.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
You'll have a hard time being hired as an EMT-Basic with reckless driving on your record. I would hire the best lawyer you can afford, it shouldn't cost too much.

Good luck!

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
get an attorney, or try to plead it down to speeding.

and I agree with @DesertMedic66 , 15 over shouldn't be a reckless unless there are other factors.

Also, a ticket won't prevent you from being an EMT; if your goal is grad school, you can get an EMT and volunteer somewhere, and worse case just not drive.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Rachael, I know you're not asking about this exactly, but is becoming an EMT the best way for you to increase your chances of getting into PA school? I mean, I can see where it might break a tie between you and a non-EMT, but what if you spent that same time satisfying or exceeding academic prerequisites? I wouldn't think being an EMT would carry much weight for acceptance into a challenging, graduate-level program.

I'm no expert in this -- just wondering.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Just a couple things: one is that you should be primarily thinking about your academic prerequisites for PA school. The better you do there, the higher your chance of getting in. Typically EMT (or any other health profession) adds but a few points toward an admission points total. Of course some schools want to see a certain number of hours in patient care as part of the application process. The other is that simply getting a ticket for Reckless isn't a conviction in and of itself unless you have already paid the fine and court costs, essentially admitting guilt in the process. If you haven't done this yet and you haven't been to court yet, keep your court date and fight the ticket - even if it's to get it down to simply speeding. A "reckless driving" conviction greatly reduces your chances of getting hired because this demonstrates a lack of good judgment upon your part while driving, and driving is part and parcel of being an EMT. It's much easier to explain a speeding ticket (because nearly everyone gets them) than it is to explain a "reckless driving" ticket.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
A reckless driving citation for 15mph above the speed limit seems extremely harsh..

Just imagine if CHP did that. They would be the Oprah of reckless driving charges.

OP, yes a reckless driving ticket will hamper your chances of getting hired but its not impossible. Like others have said 15 over for reckless driving seems harsh... but then again I live in Souther CA so pretty much everyone drives 15 over.

chrls

Forum Crew Member
Just imagine if CHP did that. They would be the Oprah of reckless driving charges.

OP, yes a reckless driving ticket will hamper your chances of getting hired but its not impossible. Like others have said 15 over for reckless driving seems harsh... but then again I live in Souther CA so pretty much everyone drives 15 over.

Reckelss also works a little different in Ca. If I wrote somebody for reckless I would have to do some actual paperwork writing about what I saw instead of just writing a ticket.

Most officers I’ve talked to write wreckless for 3 separate moving violations in quick succession. That being said, if you wanted to make sure somebody got the point it’s actually better to write the 3 separate moving violations rather than reckless. Reckless is 2 points on its own while moving violations are 1 point each, for a total of 3.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Reckless is 2 points on its own while moving violations are 1 point each, for a total of 3.

I kinda figured that would be the case. Although I wasn't sure how many points reckless was.

Arthur Floyd

Forum Ride Along
EMT has a prestigious career. Are you an EMT now? What's the situation now and which lawyer did you hired for the support? My friend is facing the same kind of situation and is searching different official sites to hire a good lawyer to support him. Please do tell!

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Remember folks, spelling sometimes does make a difference. If you got a ticket for wreckless driving, then you are getting a ticket for NOT causing a wreck. So if you get a ticket for reckless driving, be thankful if you didn't cause anyone to have a wreck along the way. So Wreckless Reckless driving is a whole lot better than causing wrecks because of your Reckless driving.

ACoston

Forum Ride Along
Ya follow the lawyer advice. A job that has you driving to save lives would like to see that you can follow basic laws while generally under no stress.