Having Trouble Passing NREMT-B - Suggestions?

Jango

Forum Crew Member
Sorry it's taken so long for me to get back with everyone. I've been celebrating today... I PASSED! Thanks to everyone who provided great studying materials, books, tips, etc. If you put the time in honestly, read every question and answer COMPLETELY then you CAN pass. The test actually kicked me off after question 121 yesterday with my last question being an OB one about patient care after child birth AND placenta delivery. I knew I had this one right as it was my very last question. Once again, thanks everyone!

THATS AWESOME!!!!! Congrats! I got booted off at 120 myself and felt like I messed it up. Again congrats! I am glad to see another Hoosier EMT!

OP
OP
C

Cincy53

Forum Crew Member
THATS AWESOME!!!!! Congrats! I got booted off at 120 myself and felt like I messed it up. Again congrats! I am glad to see another Hoosier EMT!

Thanks Jango! The funny thing is, all of my certs are for Ohio. But hey at least you can't come out to my neck of the woods and kick my @$$ now. So good thing I passed this time.

OP
OP
C

Cincy53

Forum Crew Member
Any update on your situation? Did you contact the NREMT yet?

tgamboa

Forum Probie
Need Help

Hello I need to find a way to pass the NR Exam I failed twice at this test, I need this for myself. Any people please respond and e-mail me with ideas. Thank you so much. Tony

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
First, welcome to EMTLife!

Second, why should they email you? This is forum. They should post questions and suggestions here.

Third, don't PM people the same question you asked in the forum.

Finally, I'll ask you the same question I asked in the PM.... Why do YOU think you're failing?

tgamboa

Forum Probie
I dont know? I thought I knew everything but thats not the case obviously? I scored near passing and below 1st time I took it, it stoped at 120 q. 2nd time 98 q.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
If I were you I'd look at the areas where you did poorly, and concentrate on mastering those areas. Devote a good month to studying the material every day. Take multiple practice tests. Here are my tips on actually taking the test. Knowing the content is really up to you.

Create flash cards, using study software, or use one of the many practice sites online. Any timy and money you put into resources now will be a good investment.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Did you study the questions and your materials from class? I don't mean look over, but really study?

tgamboa

Forum Probie
80% But when i failed the second time I really studied and i dont know what happen? Obviously im not getting it!

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
80% what. When I took the test back in 2002, they gave my a results sheet that showed how well I did for each area. For example, I did great in operations, and most poorly in medical/trauma. What do you need to most focus on?

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
get the Mosby EMT certification Preperation book at barnes and nobles or borders. it closely resembles the NREMT test questions and it breaks it down into sections so you can see where your weak areas are. i think 85% of my NREMT questions were in that book.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Then do it. No one can really study for you. You need to sit down and go over the material. If you want some studying advice, here goes:
1. Do not have really long study sessions. It's better to study, break, study,etc.
2. Read over all of the material you have.
3. Highlight the important ideas/topics if possible.
4. Summarize the material. Summarizing is tough, as you have to put the material in your own words. This is a critical step, as it helps you contextualize the information. This is the step where your brain takes the information from the book and puts in in words you understand. If you can't find a way to summarize the information, then you need to focus on that area.
5. Quiz yourself both on lessons and larger units. I put each question on a card, and then divide them into 10 card stacks. I then go through the stack until I can answer every one correctly (the answer is on the back). If I miss one, then I have to do the whole stack of 10 over. Then I add another 10, and another 10, and another. It takes a lot of time, but leads to mastery of the memorized content.
6. Work with a partner or friend to study. Have study sessions where you quiz each other. It may be awkward not knowing something, but it's a reality check.
7. Highlight, color, draw. Do whatever you need to do in order to clearly visual the information. If that means that you have to highlight different topics different colors, do it. If you need to draw a picture of how things work, so it. Use arrows and symbols!
8. Don't cram before the test.

I hope that helps.

WLSC2008

Forum Crew Member
Nremt canidate in wv

Everyone,
I recently finished my WV State EMT class and passed the class and practicals with out any problems.

We unfortunatley, had to wait three weeks until the final paperwork was in to test.

Once I tested I thought I did well and my test ended between 70-80 questions. I took it on a Saturday and had to wait until Monday for my restuls. I did not pass. Like I said I did really well in class and with everything else.

I do have friends that did not pass the first time but passed the second time.

I want to retest and I want to be an EMT.

I am just scared about failing again.

Anyone got any tips on how to prepare or for the actual testing?

All help would be appreachiated.

WLSC2008

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
Just review every module and STUDY everything in those modules. Take time on the subjects you don't know but STUDY everything. I stress study b/c studying is not just reading your textbook (although it involves reading your text!)

Its a hard test, mine stopped at 67 or 68 and I was SURE i failed but somehow I didn't. There are also some EMT review books out there which I think helped me padd the studying, but the STUDYING is what really boosts your grade. Check your local library for NREMT test books. At least the ones I used are not good enough to warrant going out and buying them!

Good luck!

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
For the NREMT-B, do you just have to take this test? Do you have to do practicals in front of instructors as well like for the NREMT-P.