Harassment in EMS

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
"I don't really see that as sexism, so much as playing the strengths of different people"

That might be how you see it, but to others it is seen as not pulling your weight.

Just because a guy is a guy does not make him a mechanic and a power lifter all in one. Females and males who work the same job should expect to do the same things, lift the equipment and stretcher, change the oil etc...

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
I just don't want to get that car crap on my hands or under my finger nails.

But as I take all the patients I see it as things to do with patient care at mine. Things to do with driving are theirs. I will help wash the truck at the end but I don't think I should have to.

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

I totally disagree, if your EMT partner is washing the truck you should feel obligated to help them. That is both of yours Ambulance and you should both participate in keeping it cleaned and maintained. Just like you both contribute to the Patient care.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
That's the mechanic's job. I'll check and add oil, but I don't even change the oil in my own car.

I agree, we do not change oil here. But you must understand some system have there crews change the oil. Us, every 5k miles we take it to our Mechanics for the oilchange.

As for you not even changing it in your own car, thats up to you. I do it to save time and money :)

JPINFV

Gadfly
I might try if it was reasonable, but my car is so low that I'd have to jack it up just to get under it (2003 Sebring). Besides, half the time I get my oil change recently, I'm having other maintenance issues being taken care of as well.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
I might try if it was reasonable, but my car is so low that I'd have to jack it up just to get under it (2003 Sebring). Besides, half the time I get my oil change recently, I'm having other maintenance issues being taken care of as well.

I have Truck, SUV and Classic. All easily accessibly for me, I like to buy the exspensive synthetic. Mechanics charge you and arm plus 2 legs for that stuff.

atropine

Forum Captain
Certain topics don't come to work. Period.

In my dept is is that I often get paired with females who don't think that they should have to help lift patients. I am 6'3" and 250 but when having to put a 400 pounder and the 150 pound power cot into the bus, I would love a little team work.

Also our female staff feel that any repairs/PMCS on the rig is my job by virtue of being male. We have one who always *****es about windshield washer fluid and will make no effort to put it in herself.

So I think that their is BS that cuts both ways.

Typical, when I used to work for AMR many years ago in the LA County area, the company had a rule that two females could not work together, because LA Co.FD complained that they could not handle the gurney, I don't know if it's like that anymore with Care taking over most of the county.

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief
"I don't really see that as sexism, so much as playing the strengths of different people"

That might be how you see it, but to others it is seen as not pulling your weight.

Just because a guy is a guy does not make him a mechanic and a power lifter all in one. Females and males who work the same job should expect to do the same things, lift the equipment and stretcher, change the oil etc...

I have reports to get checked off and equipment to restock or sign back in and other end of shift crap. So... I don't think I should have to wash the truck. Once its washed they're free to go, I still have more crap to do. If we both tackle our respective responsibilitys then we both can be done at the same time.

EMSrush

Forum Captain

But as I take all the patients I see it as things to do with patient care at mine. Things to do with driving are theirs. I will help wash the truck at the end but I don't think I should have to.

So wear gloves... there are usually plenty in the rig. A great manicure is not a reason to not pull your weight at work.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I'm with Sasha, just because you don't split the work exactly down the middle does not mean someone isn't pulling their weight. I work for a busy 911 system that also is responsible for almost all of the IFTs. I am a medic and my partner is a basic. I take all of the calls, IFT or not.

My partner is...a fairly bad EMT. His contribution to patient care is minimal. I have to double check most of the work he does independently, like stocking. It is in no way unfair that he washes the ambulance and makes the gurney by himself. I help with the ambulance sometimes, when we've had a slow night and I don't have paperwork or anything to do.

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief
So wear gloves... there are usually plenty in the rig. A great manicure is not a reason to not pull your weight at work.

Who said I don't pull my weight? I don't check fluids... I pull my weight by checking, stocking, and cleaning the entire rest of the truck.

I do this for two reasons. I don't want to depend on someone to know that all my crap is there. I've been bitten by "Oh no I already checked the o2, we are good."

I feel that since I do all the calls, inside the ambulance is my domain. I even wipe down the steering wheel, and all that other stuff as a courtesy when I'm saniwiping everything.

And if I needed further justification: the fluids should be checked on a cold truck. I am a non driver. That means I can't pull the truck from the field to around the back where we check it out. That is something my partner HAS to do. So while he's out there, s/he can check the fluids before starting the truck. I COULD walk out there, check them, and walk back, get fluids, then walk back and fill the fluids, but that's where it comes back to I don't like the car stuff under my nails. And that seems silly.

It is not slacking, it's dividing the labor up.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
This thread came along because I had trouble reporting harassment due to my religious beliefs because I didn't want to be a whiner or appear too sensitive.

He sang religious songs in the truck, piped gospel into the patient compartment, told me he would pray for me, told me I wasn't happy because I wasn't a Christian and that I feel god with me but ignore it.

Finally snapped last week and reported it when he started off the shift as "hey still atheist?" And that was the least offensive thing out of his mouth for the little bit of time we worked together after that.
I have had to deal with christmas music from halloween to new years. so I hear your pain when it comes to religious songs in the truck. Either way, what your partner is doing is wrong, report it, it shouldn't be tolerated. You aren't whining or being overly sensitive, it's your truck too, and his actions are obviously making you uncomfortable.
Not to totally sound like a typical female, but I leave all the vehicle maintenance stuff up to the guys I share the amb with. I know NOTHING about cars. I could manage windshield washer fluid and changing the headlights, but that is about it. I'm a little too short to do the oil because of where the dip stick is. I do however make sure to let someone know if I think there is something up.

I don't really see that as sexism, so much as playing the strengths of different people.
omg, how sexist are you? you are stereotyping guys. I'll have you know, I am a male. I know nothing about cars. Wouldn't know how to manage windshield washer fluid unless you showed me, and I had to call a mechanic to show me how to change a headlight. and the only reason I know about checking the oil was someone showed me (and even then I barely do it).

Just because someone has a penis, doesn't automaticly make them an expert in auto repair. And thinking that it does is extremely sexist.

and maybe the guy doesn't want crap on his hands or under his nails? If you are on the crew, you should be washing the truck with your partner. it's your truck too.

My partner is...a fairly bad EMT. His contribution to patient care is minimal. I have to double check most of the work he does independently, like stocking. It is in no way unfair that he washes the ambulance and makes the gurney by himself. I help with the ambulance sometimes, when we've had a slow night and I don't have paperwork or anything to do.
if your partner is a fairly bad EMT, than he should be fired and replaced with a better EMT. If you can't trust your partner, than he or she isn't a partner, he is just your driver. a partner is someone you work with; based on what you just said, you don't have a partner, just a grunt who doesn't even need to be an EMT, just a clean DL and maybe a valid CPR card.

Who said I don't pull my weight? I don't check fluids... I pull my weight by checking, stocking, and cleaning the entire rest of the truck.
and your partner doesn't check the truck, restock, or clean any of the inside with you? damn,I feel bad for you.
I do this for two reasons. I don't want to depend on someone to know that all my crap is there. I've been bitten by "Oh no I already checked the o2, we are good."
than your partner should be smacked, reprimanded, and fired. smacked for making you look like an idiot in front of the patient, reprimanded for laying about the status of patient equipment, and fired for lying on the ambulance check sheet.
I feel that since I do all the calls, inside the ambulance is my domain. I even wipe down the steering wheel, and all that other stuff as a courtesy when I'm saniwiping everything.
that is your opinion, and as long as your partner agrees, that's fine. if you were my partner, than we would definitely not be in agreement here.
And if I needed further justification: the fluids should be checked on a cold truck. I am a non driver. That means I can't pull the truck from the field to around the back where we check it out. That is something my partner HAS to do. So while he's out there, s/he can check the fluids before starting the truck. I COULD walk out there, check them, and walk back, get fluids, then walk back and fill the fluids, but that's where it comes back to I don't like the car stuff under my nails. And that seems silly.

It is not slacking, it's dividing the labor up.
Maybe you should just become a driver, and that way you could do the job? this isn't a volunteer thing where you can choose what you want to do, when you work in EMS, you should be able to both drive and treat (the level of training not withstanding). and I don't like crap under my nails either.

Maybe it's different in the IFT world vs the 911 world, but in every 911 system I am familiar with, the duties are shared. each employee is expected to do both sides of the job (drive and treat). But I still think if two people are PARTNERS, than the work should be handled equally, regardless of the gender of the crew members.

Last edited by a moderator:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
All this talk of checking the fluids, O2, supplies, yada yada is making me feel extremely spoiled to have a FT VST department and a FT Mechanic department onsite at our garage that stock. They maintain, stock and wash our units. We clean the inside though, not fair for them to clean up our mess. I have heard of VSTs and mechanics getting offended by a Medic/EMT popping the hood to check fluids.

Our bags are our responsibility and we do a visual check through the cabinet windows for supplies but everything is shrink wrapped and cabinets are ziptied shut and the VSTs get angry if we open every last compartment to check it. Broken zip tie = them having to count everything in that cabinet and check it off and re-seal/zip tie.

You have to get to know the people around you, like people said something could be perfectly acceptable or funny to one person and completely offensive to the next.

As for the religion thing. I'm not religious, I have nothing against religion or religious people, but if your preaching to me I'll ask you to stop and if you don't I'll call a supervisor and complain while sitting in the cab with you. Don't force your beliefs on me, I'm entitled to my own opinion.

I have yet to have a female partner that can't lift her half of the gurney. 9/10 fire will lift it for them but they all can do it. Heck my partner the other day was all gung ho about lifting a large patient with just the two of us while I was talking to fire about 4 pointing him.

Tire chains, I haven't dealt with it yet but if we need to put 'em on and I'm with a female partner I'm absolutely going to be out playing in the snow while she stays warm in the cab unless we have calls pending but that's just the way I am...or maybe it has something to do with her being the Medic and me being the Intermediate...I'm gonna go with a little bit of everything :D

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
omg, how sexist are you? you are stereotyping guys. I'll have you know, I am a male. I know nothing about cars. Wouldn't know how to manage windshield washer fluid unless you showed me, and I had to call a mechanic to show me how to change a headlight. and the only reason I know about checking the oil was someone showed me (and even then I barely do it).

954-not-sure-if-serious.jpg

:unsure: Someone needs to take your man-card...alright I'm kidding but seriously? Idk about all of you guys but I can't afford to pay someone to fix twiddly-dink problems on my Jeep.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
All this talk of checking the fluids, O2, supplies, yada yada is making me feel extremely spoiled to have a FT VST department and a FT Mechanic department onsite at our garage that stock. They maintain, stock and wash our units. We clean the inside though, not fair for them to clean up our mess. I have heard of VSTs and mechanics getting offended by a Medic/EMT popping the hood to check fluids.

Our bags are our responsibility and we do a visual check through the cabinet windows for supplies but everything is shrink wrapped and cabinets are ziptied shut and the VSTs get angry if we open every last compartment to check it. Broken zip tie = them having to count everything in that cabinet and check it off and re-seal/zip tie.

You have to get to know the people around you, like people said something could be perfectly acceptable or funny to one person and completely offensive to the next.

As for the religion thing. I'm not religious, I have nothing against religion or religious people, but if your preaching to me I'll ask you to stop and if you don't I'll call a supervisor and complain while sitting in the cab with you. Don't force your beliefs on me, I'm entitled to my own opinion.

I have yet to have a female partner that can't lift her half of the gurney. 9/10 fire will lift it for them but they all can do it. Heck my partner the other day was all gung ho about lifting a large patient with just the two of us while I was talking to fire about 4 pointing him.

Tire chains, I haven't dealt with it yet but if we need to put 'em on and I'm with a female partner I'm absolutely going to be out playing in the snow while she stays warm in the cab unless we have calls pending but that's just the way I am...or maybe it has something to do with her being the Medic and me being the Intermediate...I'm gonna go with a little bit of everything :D

When I work nights I have to play the VST role, and god does it suck, though more because I should be sleeping, not counting Kerlix roles. We have sealed bags as well, but I am not a big proponent of them. Finding a dead cylinder on the 12th floor in a sealed bag is not good when the patient has to be transported on her prescribed 3lpm.

I worked with a female partner for a few shifts and it was great. If I couldn't calm a patient down, she usually could, and vice versa. Plus she was more than capable of lifting her fair share, and she drove every shift (since I couldn't yet), so I know that she is just as competent, if not more so than I am.

JPINFV

Gadfly
When I work nights I have to play the VST role, and god does it suck, though more because I should be sleeping, not counting Kerlix roles. We have sealed bags as well, but I am not a big proponent of them. Finding a dead cylinder on the 12th floor in a sealed bag is not good when the patient has to be transported on her prescribed 3lpm.

That happens, an incident report gets written.

That happens often and the tags come off when I start a shift.

VSTs are great, when they're as anal about stocking as I am. Unfortunately, it doesn't take much to break that trust, and it's almost impossible to get it back once it's gone.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus

Just because someone has a penis, doesn't automaticly make them an expert in auto repair. And thinking that it does is extremely sexist.and maybe the guy doesn't want crap on his hands or under his nails? If you are on the crew, you should be washing the truck with your partner. it's your truck too.

if your partner is a fairly bad EMT, than he should be fired and replaced with a better EMT. If you can't trust your partner, than he or she isn't a partner, he is just your driver. a partner is someone you work with; based on what you just said, you don't have a partner, just a grunt who doesn't even need to be an EMT, just a clean DL and maybe a valid CPR card.

I cant tell if you are being serious or not, but I dont assume just because somene has a penis they know about cars. I assume it when they tell me they were a mechanic before a medic and they spend 1/2 their time in the break room talking about cars. 3 of the 6 guys who share my amb are self admitted car guys. My last partner was female, and also a car person. It has nothing to do with reproductive apparatus.

You're right, I have a driver not a partner. He isnt going to get fired because all he needs to work here is a clean DL, CPR card and EMT cert. Our company rarely fires people, and he wont get fired unless he actively does something wrong. Right now he just isn't very useful.

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Absolutely report that. That stuff drives me nuts. I really don't have a problem with really religious people, however they need to keep their beliefs off the ambulance and out of my face. I had a partner once who would do the same thing and try and talk about the bible all shift, it made me extremely uncomfortable. If you want to read your bible, fine, just do it quietly in the corner and don't talk to me about it.

Ya know...(just to clarify)

I absolutely hate it when people falaunt their personal beliefs on you and hrow it into your face.... it happens here in California alot (especially myself bein republican in a predominately democratic state). It seems as though everyday I'm getting a "you need to be more tolerant of homosexuality" or "its a womans right if thy want to abort a fetus". I'm not going to turn this thread into a ethics course, but people shouldn't be afraid to "discuss" these topics so long as they are comfortable with the person their discussing them with. I think people in todays day in age are just to D@mn sue happy.

Example 1: My partner and I have known each other for some time. We bounce topics off each other that pertain to life, religion, relationships, and even politics. We're not afraid to talk about it because we have the comfort level of being friends.

Example 2: you'd never find me talking about such topics with a fresh partner or some joe blo schmo off the street.

Lastly, I'd like to point out that there is sexism (wont divulge into too much detail) at the hospital I work at. In recent months I had to meet with HR because someone (a female) thought that that scratching my groin (because it itched, not because I was making sexual advances with my itching) was considered 3rd party sexual harasment... so yeah.... next thing you know I'll be getting sued for my dandruff or something :wacko:

JPINFV

Gadfly
Lastly, I'd like to point out that there is sexism (wont divulge into too much detail) at the hospital I work at. In recent months I had to meet with HR because someone (a female) thought that that scratching my groin (because it itched, not because I was making sexual advances with my itching) was considered 3rd party sexual harasment... so yeah.... next thing you know I'll be getting sued for my dandruff or something :wacko:

Tell her you're feeling harassed because she's wearing makeup in an obvious attempt to come on to you.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member