Harassment in EMS

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I had a response then decided it was off topic so I'll go back on topic. At my old job (2 jobs ago) I was a lifeguard supervisor/manager for a General Improvement District, read: local government with a fancy smancy name. I made it very clear to my employees that I was always available to talk to about harassment claims/complaints whether it be employee/employee or customer/employee. In a job where board shorts and tankinis are the uniform it is a common problem. The big one I dealt with was customer/employee. The older gentleman that used our facilities loved to make passes and comments towards our attractive female guards.

As a supervisor yes it's a headache to deal with but an absolutely necessary one that I never had a problem dealing with as soon as it was presented. Happy employees make a supervisors job much easier in the long run.

If your afraid to report it because your sup just rights it off or tells you "your being difficult" you need to go over their head and that supervisor needs to be talked to as well. These things are part of their job.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
Truck maintenance: I’m glad to lend a hand and learn. Being clueless is not as embarrassing as staying clueless. I’m always cleaning my nails. And everything else, because this is a dirty job.

Coworkers trying to convert me: I’ve had a few. Most people have been fine when I’ve said no thanks. For the worst one, though, I tried to convert him to a cult that I found online. That put an end to it pretty quickly.

DrParasite said:
not for nothing, but for every guy that assumes the girl is weak, there are 3 girls who will have the guy do all the heavy work for them, and 2 girls who are too weak to do the heavy lifting. It's not right, but it happens.

I know why it’s happening, but it’s still annoying. I need to prove myself all over with every new supervisor and partner, no matter what the previous performance reports or earlier coworkers say.

DrParasite said:
Nothing wrong with looking cute. Nothing wrong with wearing makeup, doing your hair, wearing lipstick, etc. I knew a girl on my FD who used to use the reflective metal of the tower ladder as a mirror to apply her lipstick, was into hello kitty, and said "I'm a pretty firefighter!!!!" whatever, to each her own. but when push came to shove, she would get down and dirty, pack hose, and do the dirty work just like every other guy.

And if you are buying clothes to big, and not "looking pretty" to downplay your attractiveness, than you are doing yourself a disservice. Nothing wrong with wearing clothes that fit properly or doing your hair. if guys don't accept you, but you do still do the job, than that's their problem

I’d rather enjoy a good working relationship with my coworkers than do my makeup. Many of them simply find attractive women distracting. Maybe that’s their problem, but it creates more problems for me. If I can avoid that by dressing differently, I will. Besides, my hair and uniform are always neat and professional. They’re just not flattering.

I also don’t have to deal with as many patients making passes at me. That would be worth it alone.

DrParasite said:
than the boss should have been fired, as well as all the guys who were making passes at the girl. and the women should have sued. That type of behavior (from the bosses and the staff) should not be tolerated.

In theory, I totally agree. In practice, they thought their reputations were more important than a lawsuit, which they didn’t have the time or energy to handle anyways. It’s not right, but sometimes things like that win out.