Happy EMS Week!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Happy EMS Week; everyone.

Sadly, not nearly as much free food this year :).

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Happy EMS Week; everyone.

Sadly, not nearly as much free food this year :).
My waist line appreciates that fact. My taste buds and stomach are angry.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Same to all you animals out there. Just got word this morning my company’s giving all of us a hefty bonus this year for EMS Week. Sometimes, they truly outdo themselves here. I’m actually really grateful to work where I do ATM.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Same to all you animals out there. Just got word this morning my company’s giving all of us a hefty bonus this year for EMS Week. Sometimes, they truly outdo themselves here. I’m actually really grateful to work where I do ATM.
Guess that means you're buying for everyone.

Cheers!

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
Lucky y’all. We got told that we won’t be getting raises this year.

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
I think a lot of systems are in a for a tight fiscal year. Most large systems are in other losing a lot of money through contract labor or from decreased volumes.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I think a lot of systems are in a for a tight fiscal year. Most large systems are in other losing a lot of money through contract labor or from decreased volumes.

That is an understatement. We have wiped the books clean of Just about every special event we had scheduled. That normally brings in thousands of dollars in additional revenue. The great majority of non emergency transports have vanished. Our 911 volume is down 40% against several years of historical data.

EMSDocVA

Forum Ride Along
!!Happy EMS Week you guys!! I wish that it was able to be celebrated more openly as in the past but know that your efforts and dedication is appreciated by receiving physicians (even if we forget to show it some time in the middle of the chaos).

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Pretty stoked that the large highway construction operation that runs through our district was able to throw up "Happy EMS Week, Thanks for What You Do!" on some of the variable message boards. Meanwhile not a peep out of any of our chief staff about it, you know during a time when the EMS staff is directly responsible for running and documenting 85% of the call volume while also having developed a significant portion of our COVID response. At this point a simple "thanks" would go a long way.

I don't care much about having a week or swag or food. But if there was any question that they were out of touch...

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
To be perfectly honest, considering how many EMS managers think of their staff as simply a number, an FTE, and don't bother talking to them unless they are in trouble, I like the company swag. give me a decent t-shirt. a nice company coin. some food. an agency embroidered bag, a new jacket, hat, etc. give me something that I can proudly display. And don't say "well, we can only spend $5 on each employee, so we go with the cheapest method possible," plan it out, use the PR budget and give people something useful.

have my management get out of their office and spend time with the crew, maybe even go on a call and help lift a patient, help clean up, or something. the little things in life help with morale.

Considering how many in the public don't think about EMS unless they need an ambulance, and how too many politicians openly support EMS until the time comes where they ask for money to do the job, EMS week is a time for us to actually receive positive recognition for what we do. Whether it be with a sign in the ER, media/press release, snacks in the break room, food donations, or news reports (which, I will state, most EMS agencies don't do nearly enough outreach to the local media), this time should be about us, to remind the public about what we do, and for the public to say "we know that many of you are overworked and underpaid, but we still appreciate that you are willing to do the job and help others."

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
I agree with Dr Parasite; were I used to work we had a manager that would go out and work with the crews; he actually would lift patients, carried bags etc. He wasn't an EMS Provider just a good manager; but took EVOC on his own, and drove for more than 1 BLS partner. When he was replaced with EMS managers we stopped getting such good service and care from our managers