Are you a licensed Ham Radio operator?

• Yes

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • No

Votes: 17 63.0%

• Total voters

gkygrl

Forum Crew Member
Just wondered how many EMS'ers are Ham Radio operators also?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Does my father count? Haha

OP
OP
gkygrl

gkygrl

Forum Crew Member

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Remember, if you want for name to be confidential

Do not list your call numbers.
I licensed last year and have no radio and no prospect to keep it fresh and current.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
Wait, my christmas ham comes with a radio in it?

OP
OP
gkygrl

gkygrl

Forum Crew Member
Do not list your call numbers.
I licensed last year and have no radio and no prospect to keep it fresh and current.

That's too bad ... you don't like the hobby?

OP
OP
gkygrl

gkygrl

Forum Crew Member
OP
OP
gkygrl

gkygrl

Forum Crew Member

JCyrus

Forum Crew Member
I've had my ham license for the last couple years. My search and rescue team encourages members to get their license and occasionally uses it as a communications backup depending on the area we're called to at any given time. Other than that, I've never really used it other than volunteering to assist at a local marathon (although once I have my EMT-B, I'll be doing medical rather than communications.)

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I'm a ham radio operator. No I don't list not list my call. Yes, I keep it current, once you've been licensed you can keep it current for free and it only takes a about a minute every 10 years to do it! I just did my renewal, of course for free, and now I'm good until 2022.

As a general class ham, I have lots of HF privileges and of course like everyone else, full privileges on VHF and above. I do use it, but mostly it's the VHF stuff because my HF rig is dead. For now.

My HF privileges however, give me a lot more modes of communication. One of the modes that I can use is called NVIS. In short with the right frequencies, and the antenna that points the signal nearly straight up, I can talk to just about anyone who can be listening within a 300 mile radius. Last year I was able to listen to operators in Reno, clear as a bell. when I turned the antenna back to its normal vertical configuration, I could kind of hear Reno, but I could hear West Virginia quite well!

Using my VHF handheld and Internet propagation, I can talk just about anybody, anywhere. Using the Condor chain on 220 MHz, I have comms over most of Oregon, Nevada and California all from where I'm sitting right now. In all, it's actually pretty cool, learning how to do it is not that expensive. However, the equipment can be and for the most part, once you have the equipment, it's really not that bad. My antenna system works pretty well. Still, it's going to take some time to repair my HF rig to make it work. I'll do that in a year or two. That's the beauty of the ten-year license, I have time.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
I just installed a CB in my jeep if that counts XD

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I just installed a CB in my jeep if that counts XD
CB? If you get a good antenna system, and good propagation, you can talk a long way on it. I'm not kidding. With just 4 W out and the really good antenna system and really good propagation it's not uncommon to talk to Australia. on my HF rig I have 10 m and 12 m, CB is right in the middle at 11 m.

I guess CB counts, but you really don't need a license for it… So maybe it doesn't... :p

Spedz

Forum Probie
KC9UHA :rolleyes:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
My dad got his license at age 16 in 1935.

I could never learn code. Broke his heart. Actually, he just couldn't understand.

I got it as an adjunct talent for my involvement in local disaster preparedness activities, but I do not want to get into the culture, and I do not want to invest the time and money and physical plant in it. instead, I'm "here" at EMTLIFE.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
CB? If you get a good antenna system, and good propagation, you can talk a long way on it. I'm not kidding. With just 4 W out and the really good antenna system and really good propagation it's not uncommon to talk to Australia. on my HF rig I have 10 m and 12 m, CB is right in the middle at 11 m.

I guess CB counts, but you really don't need a license for it… So maybe it doesn't... :p

I forget what antenna I have. But my dad has a few amp's he needs to repair, he's gonna give me one.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I have 2 radios and the "New You're Talkin" book from the ARRL, but never had time to study it. When I was in the Gulf Coast after Hurricane Katrina Ham radios were the only reliable method of communication. Used them extensively. The one in my clinic was powered off a car battery that was hooked up to a solar panel.

Spedz

Forum Probie
I could never learn code. Broke his heart. Actually, he just couldn't understand.

I got it as an adjunct talent for my involvement in local disaster preparedness activities, but I do not want to get into the culture, and I do not want to invest the time and money and physical plant in it. instead, I'm "here" at EMTLIFE.

Ya thank god they took code out of the equation or I would I have got my license either LOL :rofl: I am hopefully gonna go and get my General soon

OP
OP
gkygrl

gkygrl

Forum Crew Member
Ya thank god they took code out of the equation or I would I have got my license either LOL :rofl: I am hopefully gonna go and get my General soon

Spedz, awesome. General and Extra are so much fun. Playing with more HF privileges is great! Good luck!