Guilty Pleasures on Duty.

burnsmh

Forum Crew Member
I admit, I am not an EMT yet, my clinicals start at the end of next week, I hope.

I am curious though, when you are on shift, what are some guilty pleasures you engage in?

Do you, while waiting for a call, listen to Bubba Sparxxx - Ms. New Booty?

Do you read a steamy romance novel?

Do you put off maintenance for an extra five minutes because you are busy playing flappy bird?

Do you blow hot air on the window and draw dirty words then giggle like a 12 year old?

This is a thread about those guilty pleasures that no one really knows you partake in during your time between calls, assuming you have any time between calls.

Let us know your dirty secret.

DocHolliday

Forum Ride Along
messing with other crews rigs is a no go. Other than that I tend to like leaving random notes on white boards, putting funny pics on the laptop backgrounds, just little childish things like that. Oh and the egg in the boot trick on the probie is always fun.

planetmike

Forum Lieutenant
Oh and the egg in the boot trick on the probie is always fun.

Ugh, I never heard of that one, but I know I would be hot if someone did that to me, or to a probie on my duty team. Teasing and joking around is one thing, but there is a line.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
messing with other crews rigs is a no go. Other than that I tend to like leaving random notes on white boards, putting funny pics on the laptop backgrounds, just little childish things like that. Oh and the egg in the boot trick on the probie is always fun.

Out here, if we see one of our units parked in the ER parking lot, and they forgot to lock it. we turn the heater all the way to max in the cab.

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
I enjoy taking a power nap between the calls and reading. The next books I am waiting to get now are "rescue 471" and"none braver"

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
Also checking the forum. Lol

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Out here, if we see one of our units parked in the ER parking lot, and they forgot to lock it. we turn the heater all the way to max in the cab.

Did that to a crew the other day haha. Heater on all the way, turned their radio to a Spanish channel turned it all the way up, and then turned the dispatch radio all the way up.

UnkiEMT

Forum Truck Monkey
Premium Member
I have no guilty pleasures while I'm working.

I have no guilt, it makes life more fun.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Did that to a crew the other day haha. Heater on all the way, turned their radio to a Spanish channel turned it all the way up, and then turned the dispatch radio all the way up.

It only happens to you once, but you learn real quick that your unit needs to always be locked if you're not right next to it. We have keyless entry for a reason!:p

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
I enjoy taking a power nap between the calls and reading. The next books I am waiting to get now are "rescue 471" and"none braver"

None Braver is amazing. Some of the stuff in that book is just beyond belief.
If you get the chance I highly recommend "That Others May Live" by Jack Brehm, as well.

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
None Braver is amazing. Some of the stuff in that book is just beyond belief.
If you get the chance I highly recommend "That Others May Live" by Jack Brehm, as well.

Will do!

rugbyguy

Forum Crew Member
Lol, so I work 48's and usually it's fine, but sometimes we get absolutely hammered, and the jokes get crazy, here are some very common things.

My main partner loves it when I do what he calls my "Chocolate Bear" voice. Basically I put on my deepest, smoothest voice and sound very flirty with dispatch. Basically Ving Rhames in bringing out the dead.

Depending what time of night and if I know who is in the ED, and my pt, we enjoy famous person impressions for radio reports. Mainly done with dementia pt's when nurses just want to ship em off at 4am. My Christopher Walken report was a hit with the ED staff. Also playing the meow game with reports is fun.

We have drunk bingo. Basically just bingo with things like "Only 2 beers" and other common phrases of drunks.

My partner and I love pop music. I mean we bump katy perry, iggy azalea, lady gaga, all of that, and usually sing along.

Working 48's you really get to know the people you work with, good and bad, and you got to find joy in all the little things.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
If I ever found an egg in my boot and figured out who put it there they'd meet my boot with my foot in it. Don't mess with other people's gear. End of story. Same goes for rigs. I've had crews mess with my rig and I had to deny I P1 cardiac arrest because we couldn't respond due to what they did and the mess we were dealing with. I'm all for fun and games but I agree that there's a line.

I sleep, drink Slurpees, chew Copenhagen and talk with my partner. Conversation seems to be a lost art. Also good tunes are a must as well as a tablet or phone to doink around on.

rugbyguy

Forum Crew Member
If I ever found an egg in my boot and figured out who put it there they'd meet my boot with my foot in it. Don't mess with other people's gear. End of story. Same goes for rigs. I've had crews mess with my rig and I had to deny I P1 cardiac arrest because we couldn't respond due to what they did and the mess we were dealing with. I'm all for fun and games but I agree that there's a line.

I sleep, drink Slurpees, chew Copenhagen and talk with my partner. Conversation seems to be a lost art. Also good tunes are a must as well as a tablet or phone to doink around on.

Messing with a rig to where you can't respond is messed up. The most we do is put in a cd of something weird and turn up the volume.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Fill the AC vents with baby powder

Turn the sirens and lights on and put the radio at full blast

Suspend the stretcher from the ambulance ceiling with straps

Rub the forehead area of the flight helmet with black shoe polish

Remove their (XL) flight helmet from their bag and replace it with a small one

Remove their (XL) flight suit from its hanger and replace it with a small one

Wake them up at 2am, tell them "we have a flight, I'll be right out there"

Give your partner's phone number to everyone you meet

Cover the steering wheel with KY

Put a note in the drug pack where the sux is supposed to be, telling them where else in the pack to find it. When they look there, make sure they find another note giving them another location to look.

Replace the 10cc and 20cc syringes in the RSI kit with 3cc syringes.

I could go on and on, but I've probly already said too much.

Last edited by a moderator:

rugbyguy

Forum Crew Member
Oh man you are mean, his number to everyone?!