Grossest Call?

EMT B

Forum Captain
call for an elderly patient not acting right. we get there and suspect abuse/neglect because you could smell their bedsores from miles away

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Decomp surely ranks near the top... however I've never been "blessed" with one that dehissed.

From my experience, I'd have to say either a welfare check call for a hoarder in Stockton... or a call that involved some Ferrets that weren't being well cared for along with a wonderful odor of liver failure...

jeepdude911

Forum Crew Member
Had a colostomy bag break once during the transfer from pt.'s bed to the gurney. I will never forget the stench.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Had a guy call us to help change his colostomy.

We found three five gallon buckets full of old colostomy bags and contents which he claimed stretched back tm over a month.

I will never forget that smell.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
Headless baby / preterm field delivery and ill leave it at that

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Suicide, hanged by the neck in an aluminum shed in August, 90+ degrees. Feet were black and swollen, when the rookie fuzz went to cut him down his skin on his feet exploded

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
Wow, were they sure it was a fire cracker?

Well M-80/Quarterstick is the belief. Pt. was fighting with GF, and witnesses stated they saw him sitting on the corner porch thought he was lighting a cigarette,, Well that Cigarette packed one helluva bang.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
hmmmm... 50 yom druggie who suffered an MI, collapsed, and in the process, popped his colostomy bag... and had been there for 2 days before we got called for the welfare check (yes, he was still alive).

Anjel

Forum Angel
Just had a call my last shift. Closest I had ever come to tossing my cookies.

Got called for "unconscious but breathing".

Got there to find a lady, naked, laying on her bedroom floor, on top of a garbage bag, covered head to toe in diarrhea. It was in her hair, her nails, arms, toes, EVERYWHERE!

I should of known it was bad when the county boys were outside gagging and saying "what's been seen can never be unseen". Lol

Pt was pretty jaundice, and had all her pills she takes at night, still in her mouth, and all dissolved into a glue like paste.

dixie_flatline

Forum Captain
I may have told this story on here before.

Several years ago. Patient was located in a motel, not the best area. He calls us because "he can't pee". Turns out, he decided to have sexy times with a bottle of Aveeno hand lotion (don't ask me how or why). He got stuck - the neck of the bottle was really quite small. He had a deficit on one side, I forget why (I think it was congenital), so only had a single functioning hand. He tried to cut the bottle off with a pair of nail clippers; got most of it but couldn't get the ring of the neck off.

The best part was that he was stuck with this makeshift tourniquet on his johnson for THREE DAYS, hoping it would resolve itself I guess. By the time we got there, it looked like someone had dropped a frag grenade in his drawers. It ended up looking like an umbilical cord that was fixing to fall off - black, crusty, and all kinds of wrong. He ended up with a suprapubic catheter and no more Mr Winky.

It's not really the grossest call, in terms of smells or gore or anything, but it sticks with you.

MEDIC90

Forum Ride Along
Mine would have to be a call for a 50 y/o/f c/c SOB. Arrived and could smell amonia from out in the street. Went inside...all the walls of her house were lined with cat/bird cages, and half the animals had to be dead. Floors covered in fesces, old food growing mold, there was a dead cat literally on the kitchen table.

All the remaining living animals had to be euthanized, almost all had multiple infections/injuries which simply could not be managed. Never did end up getting the woman's full story.

clowncar

Forum Ride Along
Am guessing the metholatum on your top lip does not quite do anything for the stench you are attempting to endure while trying to breathe and help the pt?

MedicRobNL

Forum Ride Along
Back in 2011 we were sailing off the coast of North Carolina in hurricane force winds and we received a distress call from a small fishing boat. We were closer than the American Coast Guard, so we went to help.

I was a Hull Technician with AMFR so I was one of the ones dispatched on the SAR to access damage.

In the midst of this one of the crew members of the fishing vessel was experiencing severe anxiety and sea sickness coupled with a Tibial Shaft Fracture, so we were focusing our attention on him completely calming him down and keeping his mind off the situation.

Then, because the sea loved us.... We were hit by a rogue wave which caused the Blackwater holding tank to rupture spilling a large portion of its contents onto the deck and leaving me and the PT to be floating and sloshing around in about 2 feet of human feces.

That is that you would call a bad Navy day.

Rob

Last edited by a moderator:

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
Back in 2011 we were sailing off the coast of North Carolina in hurricane force winds and we received a distress call from a small fishing boat. We were closer than the American Coast Guard, so we went to help.

I was a Hull Technician with AMFR so I was one of the ones dispatched on the SAR to access damage.

In the midst of this one of the crew members of the fishing vessel was experiencing severe anxiety and sea sickness coupled with a Tibial Shaft Fracture, so we were focusing our attention on him completely calming him down and keeping his mind off the situation.

Then, because the sea loved us.... We were hit by a rogue wave which caused the Blackwater holding tank to rupture spilling a large portion of its contents onto the deck and leaving me and the PT to be floating and sloshing around in about 2 feet of human feces.

Rob

I tip my hat to you Sir!

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief

Rob

Vomit.gif

FltMedicRob

Forum Crew Member

Rob

You sir, win the internetz

alexandermpd

Forum Ride Along
75 year old male with some.sort of cancer on the face. Half of his face was gone you could see all the jaw bone and teeth it was crazy. Called adult protective service :(