Good Job to Have BEFORE Becoming an EMT?

BASICallyEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member
I think she stopped posting after she read that this job required her to interact with others -_-

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
I've worked as an in-home caregiver since 19 years of age. A lot of those skills carry over. Working with special needs, elderly, children, etc. Experience with special populations is a great point to talk about during an interview. I love the work, though. If the job isn't for you, that's ok. There's plenty of worthwhile work in this world. :)

OP
OP
jess lahti

jess lahti

Forum Probie
What is it (aside from cash flow) you're looking to get out of being an EMT?

What are your long term goals?

Saying you're "terrible with people" certainly doesn't make you a promising candidate for this field, or a slew of others. That said, there are so many different types of people that we encounter--that--whether or not you consider yourself a "people person", make this job interesting, and insightful more often than not.

I, myself, am not the biggest extrovert in real life, and spend most of my downtime studying, reading, or doing other "non-people-person" activities. I have also managed to meet some awesome lifetime friends doing this job; as usual- perspective;).
I don't have any long term goals lol. I'm very indecisive about my career path. Yeah I am definitely more of an introvert! I like to stay home and read with my cat. :) I'd just like to help people as best as I can, I don't have a passion so.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Help people lol
99 percent of your job is customer service and interacting with people that aren't your patients. Especially at the basic level when you should be on a transfer truck.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
I don't have any long term goals lol. I'm very indecisive about my career path. Yeah I am definitely more of an introvert! I like to stay home and read with my cat. :) I'd just like to help people as best as I can, I don't have a passion so.

I didn't find that I had a passion for medicine until I took the EMT class. However, I wouldn't recommend going into EMS solely on the nebulous idea of helping people. Find a need that matches what you do well. First identify your strengths, then explore areas that fit them.

For example, I'm science-minded and I love working hands-on with people. Being a healthcare provider suits me very well. I have very little artistic talent. I probably wouldn't do very well as an art therapist.

Do they provide career counseling at your local college? Might be a useful resource for you.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
I say this quite a bit on this forum. Being an emt really isn't the most challenging thing ever. It's more common sense then anything. Pt is bleeding try to stop it, patient isn't breathing try to make them breathe(or do it for them) if nothing works, call for medics. Or take them to the hospital. You really don't need much prep. Any job that pays money would be my suggestion, literally any job(cashier, waiter/waitress, mechanic, you get the point of anything). And just remember as an emt common sense will go a long long way.
Edit: as will a little bit of respect.*

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I wouldn't recommend going into EMS solely on the nebulous idea of helping people. Find a need that matches what you do well. First identify your strengths, then explore areas that fit them.
THIS!!!!
first.gif

I like fire/rescue/ems. I like the adrenaline rush. I like the structure. I like policies and procedures. I like using them and using my experiences to get a job done. I like team dynamics. But more importantly (for me anyway) I like developing the team. I like developing the team member. I like identifying people's strengths and helping them build their career off of them. I like identifying people's weaknesses and helping them try to improve. That's why I got into management.

@jess lahti You're probably in your midtwenties, still trying to figure out which direction to go. That's perfectly fine.

You mentioned previously that you wanted to me a firefighter. Why?

Drax

Forum Captain
Join the military, and with your current goal in mind - throw every thing at it over the course of those four years of enlistment.

1.) Will give you job experience that can belong on any and every resume.
2.) Will give you funds, sustenance, housing, medical, dental and purpose.
3.) Will give you training, sometimes, in the fields you wish to work in.
4.) Tuition assistance and the Post 911 GI Bill for 4 more years of school.
5.) It is a hard job to get fired from.
6.) Might give you experiences and life lessons that will shape you and change your life forever.
7.) Will give you all the time you could possibly need to prepare for the job you want and if you select a career in civil service-will place you higher on hiring lists with "Veteran's Preference"

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Go work in retail if you need to develop people skills. In terms of talking to strangers, they're asking you questions that you should have the answers to. If you can't get comfortable with that, I'd advise staying away from EMS.

Mya

Forum Crew Member
There are many ways you can help people....most jobs in this world help people some way (retaiiiiil). Just try and find out what you're good at because working as an EMT has a commitment of going to school ( sacrificing not making money ) and depending where you live, you might not even make that much. So if you have no reason to do it then don't, unless you have the money and time to spend and don't mind being mistreated haha. Also, before choosing to become an EMT I was a kindergarten teacher lolol and I became an EMT for medical experience!