Good Job to Have BEFORE Becoming an EMT?

Never2Old

Forum Crew Member
speaking of appearance...how do places feel about tattoos? does it depend where i apply?

It is employer preference. Some don't care, some they can't be visible, others you can't have any, regardless of location. Search this forum for 'Tattoos' and you will get lots of great posts from the past on this very subject.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
speaking of appearance...how do places feel about tattoos? does it depend where i apply?

That is nearly impossible to answer. Some agencies dont care as long as you dont have a swastika tattooed on your face. Some won't hire you if you even tell them you have a tattoo they can't see. And every shade of grey in the middle. Best bet on the tattoo problem is simply call HR and ask before you even fill out the app to save yourself the time and frustration.

Tattoos wont be an issue in one more generation, but at present we still have people in management positions who think only sailors and *****s have tattoos. More to the point, in another generation the patient population that thinks the same will largely be dead. For now, we still have to deal with the nonsense of it though...

OP
OP
jess lahti

jess lahti

Forum Probie
That is nearly impossible to answer. Some agencies dont care as long as you dont have a swastika tattooed on your face. Some won't hire you if you even tell them you have a tattoo they can't see. And every shade of grey in the middle. Best bet on the tattoo problem is simply call HR and ask before you even fill out the app to save yourself the time and frustration.

Tattoos wont be an issue in one more generation, but at present we still have people in management positions who think only sailors and *****s have tattoos. More to the point, in another generation the patient population that thinks the same will largely be dead. For now, we still have to deal with the nonsense of it though...
preach except for whatever that censored word is lol

kt6ems

Forum Ride Along
Ideas? I'm very lost. Thanks!
:)

As a manager, I look for people with a strong customer service background. Just because you you have a cert, doesn't mean you can work with people. (It is a people occupation). The best EMT/paramedic/nurses I have worked with were bartenders in their past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Oh jeeze...
I'm out

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
As a manager, I look for people with a strong customer service background. Just because you you have a cert, doesn't mean you can work with people. (It is a people occupation). The best EMT/paramedic/nurses I have worked with were bartenders in their past.

I have no frame of reference for systems that have th capacity to exercise much in the way of hiring discretion. The majority of my experience is in private, for profit ems in Massachusetts where the standard is to hire everybody that comes in the door with a pulse and a card. It seemingly doesn't matter how many jobs you've had or what the outcome was; as long as whatever you did in the past didn't result in loss of license or criminal charges, you can pretty much get hired at the next company down the ladder(or back up it if you managed to go a year or so without doing anything dumb).

I think I'd like to work at a place that only hired people who are actually qualified and suited for a job...

OP
OP
jess lahti

jess lahti

Forum Probie

thats funny. but see then id have to go to school to become a bartender and the cycle continues lol

OP
OP
jess lahti

jess lahti

Forum Probie
I have no frame of reference for systems that have th capacity to exercise much in the way of hiring discretion. The majority of my experience is in private, for profit ems in Massachusetts where the standard is to hire everybody that comes in the door with a pulse and a card. It seemingly doesn't matter how many jobs you've had or what the outcome was; as long as whatever you did in the past didn't result in loss of license or criminal charges, you can pretty much get hired at the next company down the ladder(or back up it if you managed to go a year or so without doing anything dumb).

I think I'd like to work at a place that only hired people who are actually qualified and suited for a job...
i agree if youre trained, ready, and willing, get on that rig.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Im also terrible with people, so.....
What is it (aside from cash flow) you're looking to get out of being an EMT?

What are your long term goals?

Saying you're "terrible with people" certainly doesn't make you a promising candidate for this field, or a slew of others. That said, there are so many different types of people that we encounter--that--whether or not you consider yourself a "people person", make this job interesting, and insightful more often than not.

I, myself, am not the biggest extrovert in real life, and spend most of my downtime studying, reading, or doing other "non-people-person" activities. I have also managed to meet some awesome lifetime friends doing this job; as usual- perspective;).

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.

Move out of New England. EMS is actually competitive in many places.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
wow lol conservative site much
We've had a lot happen in the 13 years we've been online. Censors and rules have been put in place because of the actions of many.

Im also terrible with people, so.....
As a few have stated above, you may want to reconsider your career path then. Even as a firefighter, most of your calls are going to be medical. My guess would be 60 - 70%, if not higher. You will be interacting with patients, hospital staff, nursing home staff, not to mention your colleagues and supervisors.

Just something to think about.