God, Buddha, Shiva, Allah, Flying Spaghetti Monster, Jesus, Vishnu And Your Patient

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."..Albert Einstein

A few more Einstein quotes...

A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, of the manifestations of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty - it is this knowledge and this emotion that constitute the truly religious attitude; in this sense, and in this alone, I am a deeply religious man.

It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.

I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with the fates and actions of human beings.

The religion of the future will be a cosmic religion. It should transcend personal God and avoid dogma and theology. Covering both the natural and the spiritual, it should be based on a religious sense arising from the experience of all things natural and spiritual as a meaningful unity. Buddhism answers this description. If there is any religion that could cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism.

One strength of the Communist system ... is that it has some of the characteristics of a religion and inspires the emotions of a religion.

I do not believe in immortality of the individual, and I consider ethics to be an exclusively human concern with no superhuman authority behind it.

What I see in Nature is a magnificent structure that we can comprehend only very imperfectly, and that must fill a thinking person with a feeling of "humility." This is a genuinely religious feeling that has nothing to do with mysticism.

I hate when people quote Einstein out of context.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
The answer is because I think they really do believe in God they just don't want to admit it. Because if they did they would have to become accountable for there actions.

This statement is teetering on the classic notion that atheists are immoral and heathens in their behavior, a horrible fallacy in this debate as it is not true.

My only comment to that is this....If it takes religion to be accountable for all YOUR actions, then by all means...PLEASE stay religious and never leave the faith, as it keeps me and my family safe. I mean without god in your life, you would be raping, murdering, killing and thieving from me because you have no accountability to a higher power for your actions...

See how illogical the quoted comment is?

I said it before and I say it again..morality and all the wonderful qualities associated with being a good person (kindness, empathy, passion, love of fellow man, etc) are all INDEPENDENT of religion. These qualities existed BEFORE Christianity and they exist today in countries/communities that have never had exposure to religion or this type of Judeo Christian belief...

Below is a definition of Atheism, please note the second paragraph:

The following definition of atheism is drawn from a 1959 lawsuit initiated by a family who challenged prayer recitation in a public school. Murray v. Curlett was a landmark in American jurisprudence on behalf of our First Amendment rights.

"Your petitioners are Atheists, and they define their lifestyle as follows. An Atheist loves himself and his fellow man instead of a god. An Atheist accepts that heaven is something for which we should work now, here on earth, for all men together to enjoy. An Atheist accepts that he can get no help through prayer, but that he must find in himself the inner conviction and strength to meet life, to grapple with it, to subdue it and to enjoy it. An Atheist accepts that only in a knowledge of himself and a knowledge of his fellow man can he find the understanding that will help to reach a life of fulfillment."

Atheism may also be defined as the mental attitude that unreservedly accepts the supremacy of reason and aims at establishing a lifestyle and ethical outlook verifiable by experience and scientific method, independent of all arbitrary assumptions of authority and creeds.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
A few more Einstein quotes...

A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, of the manifestations of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty - it is this knowledge and this emotion that constitute the truly religious attitude; in this sense, and in this alone, I am a deeply religious man.

It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.

I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with the fates and actions of human beings.

The religion of the future will be a cosmic religion. It should transcend personal God and avoid dogma and theology. Covering both the natural and the spiritual, it should be based on a religious sense arising from the experience of all things natural and spiritual as a meaningful unity. Buddhism answers this description. If there is any religion that could cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism.

One strength of the Communist system ... is that it has some of the characteristics of a religion and inspires the emotions of a religion.

I do not believe in immortality of the individual, and I consider ethics to be an exclusively human concern with no superhuman authority behind it.

What I see in Nature is a magnificent structure that we can comprehend only very imperfectly, and that must fill a thinking person with a feeling of "humility." This is a genuinely religious feeling that has nothing to do with mysticism.

I hate when people quote Einstein out of context.

Ever read very many biographies of Einstein? Did you know when he was younger he attended a Catholic school as the only Jewish student? Even though his parents very secular he maintained his zeal for Judaism. He observed Jewish religious holidays and scripture in every detail as per his sister. He even composed his own hymns and for the "Glorification of God", which he sang to himself.

Alike other myths about Einstein that many attempt to make known that supposedly failed mathametics but in reality he was far above average and by the age of 12 already started solving complicated mathametical problems.

Last edited by a moderator:

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
Ever read very many biographies of Einstein? Did you know when he was younger he attended a Catholic school as the only Jewish student? Even though his parents very secular he maintained his zeal for Judaism. He observed Jewish religious holidays and scripture in every detail as per his sister. He even composed his own hymns and for the "Glorification of God", which he sang to himself.

Alike other myths about Einstein that many attempt to make known that supposedly failed mathametics but in reality he was far above average and by the age of 12 already started solving complicated mathametical problems.

And? I went to church for the first 17 years of my life, every Sunday. What one believes in their youth can drastically change upon reaching adulthood. An I still have an appreciation for Catholicism. I have an appreciation for many religions... doesn't make them true. And yes, I still observe Catholic holidays, but in a purely traditional sense.

And also, who needs to read biographies when you have quotes from the man himself?

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Isn't that an oxy-moron?

A passionate atheist? :p
Just because you do not believe in a diety, does not imply you have nothing to be passionate about. I hate when people assume that "atheist" = "apathy" or a total lack of beliefs.

Sincerely,

USAFMEDIC45, someone who had planned on becoming a Presbyterian minister but became an atheist because of something that happened on duty and now is working towards becoming an Episcopal deacon.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Isn't that an oxy-moron?

A passionate atheist? :p

no actually its only an oxy moron for people who believe athists to lack passion.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I guess my point is not to criticize, just feel sad. Sad that so many actually believe that they believe that this is all there is. Geez.. I would hope not. Concerned, because so many then must not believe that a person has no soul either.

The great point is as a Christian, I do understand that is your right to choose. Even if the chance I was wrong (but I really don't believe I am :D) what have I lost? Teachings to love one another, to have a faith that one can conquer obstacles,to be faithful to those you love, be honest and not lie, observe a day of rest. To have some morale guidance that does not go against the laws of nature or condone lifestyles that might cause regrets later. No it's true; one does not have to have faith to exemplify these things, but I personally have comfort and reassurance.

I realize that I am no better than anyone else, part of the responsibility of having faith. Know, that even though I do wrong, I can be forgiven (with the acknowledgement of admittance and strength to change) for my faults.

So what have I lost? Any regrets.. No. Again to each his own, but just what if?....

All of this will be solved someday, we all will die and yes that even includes you. If one chooses not to, so be it. You had been informed and made your own decision. I don't believe in attempting to "thump" anything into someone.

I ask not to label Christians as right wing wackos or unintelligent, non-scientific when that is not true (as many Universities are faith founded and funded). The same as atheist as being labeled cold hearted, non caring individuals.

R/r 911

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Did you know when he was younger he attended a Catholic school as the only Jewish student?
Having attended catholic school as a non catholic doesn't mean Einstein endorsed the Roman Catholic church.

Even though his parents very secular he maintained his zeal for Judaism
Even though I am atheist, I maintain enthusiam for my Jewish roots. I am a big supporter of Israel.

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
Even if the chance I was wrong (but I really don't believe I am :D) what have I lost?

Ye 'Ole Pascal's Wager...

Rid, just for the sake of debate, let's explore this age-old idea.

The idea behind Pascal's Wager is as follows: If I believe in God, and there is a God, awesome! If I believe in God and there is no God, I didn't lose anything. If I don't believe in God and there is no God, I didn't lose anything. If I don't believe in God and there IS a God... oh crap!

I propose a new variable to break the false dichotomy of God or no God: different Gods.

On the other side of death, you are just as likely to find Zeus, Thor, Krishna, Odin, Hades, Allah, Joseph Smith, or a rhinoceros surfing on the rings of Saturn. What if you're worshiping the wrong one?

And the point of this question is not to instigate, but to promote intelligent discussion and new ways of thinking.

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
Many Atheist like to alter context and not take time to fully study the Bible and understand it.

For example I write, "For today, the sky was full of great marshmallows, that made my mouth water to be outside"... (lame I know but spare me...lol)

What do you as a reader think it means? To someone who would know the author (me) would know the context I am speaking and what I am saying. To someone who wants to argue I am a delusional, crazy person, they would claim that I was hullucinating when I wrote that without taking the time to understand my context and the metaphors used to describe something.

Translation: "Today, the sky looked awesome with the puffy white clouds in the blue sky. The skies and weather made me want to be outside".

Again.. lame but serves to illustrate my point!

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz
Well I just hope there is something, somewhere over the other side of this coin (world). Because the way people treat each other and themselves in this world..isn't working out so wonderful thus far!

If every person on this planet treated nature and each other with more respect. Then maybe, just maybe, there will be a future for our generations to come.
Why else are the world leaders getting together for so many talks about the environment.

Helping your fellow man goes a small way...for some of us (only some of us), that is what EMS means. Know matter what your personal beliefs are!

Enjoynz

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief
Isn't that an oxy-moron?

A passionate atheist?

That's really offensive. Atheism does not mean cold, unfeeling with a complete lack of apathy, it just means they don't believe in a higher power.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
That's really offensive. Atheism does not mean cold, unfeeling with a complete lack of apathy, it just means they don't believe in a higher power.

I believe he meant that you're passionate about believing that there is nothing to believe in. He didn't say compassionate.

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief
I believe he meant that you're passionate about believing that there is nothing to believe in. He didn't say compassionate.

Heck yes! I am passionate about my belief that there is no higher power! You think just because you have a God you can be passionate about your beliefs and we cannot?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief

DING DING DING we have a winner.

Sasha: Fantastic job taking the smiley face out of the post, to try to flip and turn a quite obvious joke in to something you deem 'offensive'. Sasha and Firecoins fail at noticing the smiley face.

Anyone notice how atheism vs religion has pretty much the same reactions as vegetarian vs meat eater?

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief
DING DING DING we have a winner.

Sasha: Fantastic job taking the smiley face out of the post, to try to flip and turn a quite obvious joke in to something you deem 'offensive'. Sasha and Firecoins fail at noticing the smiley face.

Anyone notice how atheism vs religion has pretty much the same reactions as vegetarian vs meat eater?

You can have a smiley face and still be offensive. The smiley face doesn't make it okay to say it. It was a joke? I couldn't tell, because it wasn't funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.