Gay in EMS?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
This has nothing to do with your geographcal locale. This is not directed towards you, but I get sick of the "Southern", or " Bible Belt" is different culture. I am a native Texan. I have a family cattle ranch in South Texas. I have grown up in Houston, the 4th largest City in the U.S. in an upper middle class area. I have a college education.

... Point is geographical location has nothing to do with ignorance, prejudice, pre concieved notion, or meaness.

As A southerner, a Texan, a devout republican, a devout catholic, and An Openly Gay FF/ Medic I have not had a problem with people at work because of my sexual orientation.

Religious views, socio economic status, sexual orientation, color, creed, etc. Has NO basis on who we are as people. We didnt chose who we are, or anything about us. We are all made in the image of a higher being. Those of us who wear the uniform be it FF/Medic/ or Leo all have the same job to do, and are a part of our own special little family that outsiders dont understand.

My sexual orientation has NOTHING to do with my job. I can put a fire out, and work a code just as well as a heterosexual. If you dont make it a huge issue, it wont be a huge issue. The people you work with should love you just as much as the next person, and if they want to treat you badly because of your sexual orientation, or any other reason for that matter; you probably sholdn't be spending your time with them in the first place.

I take offense of some of your statements. As well, I believe you are double talking. Just because I may not believe in your lifestyle, does not mean I am ignorant, prejudicial as well I am from the South & proud to be from the "Bible Belt". Although, I agree with your generalized statement; because of geography one should not make assumptions, one does have recognize local community standards .. like it or not, or even being considered right or not.

I now ask (without being demeaning; just more of a curiosity), you describe yourself as a devout Catholic, and a conservative Republican.. all which standards and underlying beliefs and practices are quite opposite of yours.. What is the attraction? Do you only take a portion of their doctrines, or segments of what you believe? Then if that is so, how can you describe to be a "devout" in any of those mentioned?

R/r 911

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I take offense of some of your statements. As well, I believe you are double talking. Just because I may not believe in your lifestyle, does not mean I am ignorant, prejudicial as well I am from the South & proud to be from the "Bible Belt". Although, I agree with your generalized statement; because of geography one should not make assumptions, one does have recognize local community standards .. like it or not, or even being considered right or not.

I now ask (without being demeaning; just more of a curiosity), you describe yourself as a devout Catholic, and a conservative Republican.. all which standards and underlying beliefs and practices are quite opposite of yours.. What is the attraction? Do you only take a portion of their doctrines, or segments of what you believe? Then if that is so, how can you describe to be a "devout" in any of those mentioned?

R/r 911

Catholicsm doesn't mean you can't be gay. Otherwise all those priests would have been tossed out on their ears. I was also taught in my earlier years in parochial school (I'm no longer catholic btw) that in the case of a contradiction between our own personal internal beliefs and codes and church doctrine, we were supposed to follow our own consciences.

As to being a devout republican, I don't recall anything in the republican party platform that states gays are illegal. While there may be issues regarding the legality or justification for some gay rights, if every republican who disagreed with a plank in the platform were not considered republican, it would become one of those fringe parties like the green party or communists.

JPINFV

Gadfly
As far as the problem of reconciling personal beliefs and religious doctrine, my belief is that just because I consider something wrong or immoral doesn't necessarily mean that I need, have to, or should judge another person. A person's sexuality may impact their relationship with God, but that is between God and them. This is the exact same problem that I have with the Republican's social agenda. That said, my economic conservative side beats my social liberal side.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
I don't have any comment now since i know very little about Catholicism or politics. If you can't tell...then whats the difference. I know he stated that he was open about it but I'm sure he doesn't walk around talking about guys all day in an inappropriate way, just the same that i don't walk around talking inappropriately about women all day. cause in the end sexual harassment is the same no matter what side of the fence your on.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Catholicsm doesn't mean you can't be gay. Otherwise all those priests would have been tossed out on their ears. I was also taught in my earlier years in parochial school (I'm no longer catholic btw) that in the case of a contradiction between our own personal internal beliefs and codes and church doctrine, we were supposed to follow our own consciences.

As to being a devout republican, I don't recall anything in the republican party platform that states gays are illegal. While there may be issues regarding the legality or justification for some gay rights, if every republican who disagreed with a plank in the platform were not considered republican, it would become one of those fringe parties like the green party or communists.

No one said illegal however; part of the emphasis, and attractiveness of conservatism is traditional base values. This is why the heated debate between liberal and conservatives about gay marriages, abortions, etc. Again, the main emphasis and usually considered one of the points between liberalism and conservatism. As most that acclaim to be one or the other but in reality are alike everyone else ...middle of the road. Most do not really understand their parties true platform or even what the difference is. Especially in relation to capitalism and liberal governmental programs.

Not being, Catholic I could not argue but wonder how could one have internal beliefs and personal practices of one thing and to teach to practice another. Would this not be considered hypocrisy? The main direction of Doctrines is to enforce Biblical emphasis into a structure form. Again for organization, structure, philosophies, and mission statements.

R/r 911

Jeremy89

Forum Captain

Bossy,

you are correct in saying Catholics can be gay, but the sin occurs when one acts upon said feelings. I take offense at your comment about the priests. I can't figure out why everyone thinks that every single priest out there is a perv just because some 40 year old all of a sudden had "lost memories" about his time as an altar boy. The fact of the matter is that (this is just an estimate) less than 5% of priests actually have done something to altar boys. After all, how do you disprove this in a court?? its the priest's word against the victim...guess who everyone feels sorry for? Just some things to think about

Not trying to turn this into a debate, but rather open up a second viewpoint to the issue.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Hmm...I wonder what would have happend if some one else had said that. Probaly another lecture on forum rules.

What do you mean? I think that's actually a solid suggestion. I have to do the same thing when patients question me about my age, since I have youthful looks. It works.

Thanks Hastings... I guess I am suggesting having some sort of snappy comeback ready that turns the situation into a joke.

Oh... and by the way... I'll top anyone's issue with being Catholic... I'm a Boy Scout leader.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
No one said illegal however; part of the emphasis, and attractiveness of conservatism is traditional base values. This is why the heated debate between liberal and conservatives about gay marriages, abortions, etc. Again, the main emphasis and usually considered one of the points between liberalism and conservatism. As most that acclaim to be one or the other but in reality are alike everyone else ...middle of the road. Most do not really understand their parties true platform or even what the difference is. Especially in relation to capitalism and liberal governmental programs.

Not being, Catholic I could not argue but wonder how could one have internal beliefs and personal practices of one thing and to teach to practice another. Would this not be considered hypocrisy? The main direction of Doctrines is to enforce Biblical emphasis into a structure form. Again for organization, structure, philosophies, and mission statements.

R/r 911
I have met many gay republicans. I usually have a humorous quote for them, from a mentor I met in high school. He said "The only thing more backwards than a black republican is a gay republican". Dennis is black so he gets away with saying that. :p

Anyways, I find conservative gays a little strange, but than many people find me strange. I try to look at the broader picture of the matter. At any rate, I can see rid/ryder's confusion.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
As A southerner, a Texan, a devout republican, a devout catholic, and An Openly Gay FF/ Medic I have not had a problem with people at work because of my sexual orientation.
A Catholic and openly gay? Okay.

R/r 911

A Republan need not be a conservative. 1 is a politcial part an 1 a social movement. There are RINOs. I am a registered republican. I am economically conservative and socially liberal. I have mentioned my atheism before so I can not be religiously conservative.

mikie

Forum Lurker
FC0011b.jpg

I know it's a firefighter...but it still applies!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader

JPINFV

Gadfly
Oh... and by the way... I'll top anyone's issue with being Catholic... I'm a Boy Scout leader.

I was a boy scout, a little league player (we had a judge who was an umpire molesting boys in the county I grew up in), and an altar server.

AlaskaEMT

Forum Crew Member
If you're a homosexual citizen and are against high taxation, big government, illegal immigration, (& many other issues conservatives oppose) ... should you vote Democrat? Of course not! The only reason the Republican Party has adopted traditional Christian doctrine is because Christians make up a large portion of their base.

Also, sexual orientation makes no difference in job performance, since this discussion is about "Gay in EMS". I'm not convinced it's genetic ("born gay"), however, I also believe a man can (and should) do whatever he pleases within the privacy of his own property. It's what we call a victimless crime. Same goes with seatbelt laws and the like.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Same goes with seatbelt laws and the like.

That is a actually a victim crime.. someone pays for the injuries that could had been prevented, loss of life, property and such.. but I understand your intent...

R/r 911

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Sorry, 'no seatbelt' is not a victimless crime.

Thanks for the opportunity to educate...I have been on quite a few MVCs in my career and I have seen firsthand the damage done to other passengers in the vehicle that were struck by the unrestrained driver.

Even had a seatbelted fatality thanks to the non belted driver striking the passenger.

This is why everything is strapped down in my ambulance, helo, airplane, you name it. Projectiles come in all shapes and sizes and we must be aware of these hazards.

Situational awareness at all times.

AlaskaEMT

Forum Crew Member
Then I'm obviously referring to a driver without a passenger. I'm afraid you're missing the point of victimless crimes. If someone chooses to destroy their body with copious amounts of drugs every day, that's their prerogative. However, the second they decide to go driving while high, they are no longer the only person at risk.

Now, in countries with socialized medicine, the argument can be made that all matters pertaining to bodily harm have victims because every citizen shares the cost of healthcare, but that's not the case with America... yet.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Victimless? I don't think so!

Then I'm obviously referring to a driver without a passenger. I'm afraid you're missing the point of victimless crimes. If someone chooses to destroy their body with copious amounts of drugs every day, that's their prerogative. However, the second they decide to go driving while high, they are no longer the only person at risk.

Now, in countries with socialized medicine, the argument can be made that all matters pertaining to bodily harm have victims because every citizen shares the cost of healthcare, but that's not the case with America... yet.

Hmmm. so when the unbelted driver ejects the vehicle and ends up on state/fed/county dole for the rest of their lives, due to the brain injuries, there's no victim? As long as those who chose to abuse their bodies end up being cared for at the expense of the government, we are all victims.

Starting with the EMS responders who have to clean up the mess on the road, the cost of the Troopers doing the accident investigation, lets move on to the increased costs of car insurance for all of us because of the unrecoverable losses paid on the crash by the insurer. We can go on to the staff at the ER, OR, Trauma Center, then on to the rehabilitation center where the poor driver who made a personal choice that affects 'only him' is cared for by a bevy of employees who are all paid, by a company who is only going to be reimbursed what Medicare/Medicaid feels is appropriate and will have to make up the balance by upping prices to those private citizens who are unfortunate enough to have been too fiscally responsible to qualify for state assistance.

Tell me again about 'victimless crime'

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Not being, Catholic I could not argue but wonder how could one have internal beliefs and personal practices of one thing and to teach to practice another. Would this not be considered hypocrisy?

Well, it would by you, which is probably why you are not a practicing catholic. The point was much as democracy, there is a built in mechanism in the doctrine to address what happens when the power structure or governing body of an institution goes awry. It is inherent on the individual to base their behavior on what they believe to be 'right'. as they define it, as opposed to the 'just following orders' philosophy. Also why there is the rite of absolution, for when those decisions are made incorrectly on the part of the individual.

The main direction of Doctrines is to enforce Biblical emphasis into a structure form. Again for organization, structure, philosophies, and mission statements.

It is in more fundamentalist doctrines, but not all doctrines follow the biblical emphasis as literally. Again different perspectives and interpretations, which is why there are so many different faiths.

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
Getting into this one a little late, but I think a person's sexuality has as much bearing on their desirability as a partner as their hair color. If you're there to help me when I need it, I don't care what you do or who you do it with when you peel out of your clothes.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
well this ones going south real fast....