Gay in EMS?

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
1) people cant or refuse to search the archives.

2) the people that can search also feel that their lights/stethoscope/tattoo/sexuality/etc situation is so vastly unique so as to warrant a new thread regardless of the amount of identical threads already in existence.

3) the "community leaders" refuse to do anything about it.

did i miss anything????

4) People are looking for what they want to hear to make themselves feel better??

Robby1974

Forum Crew Member
Why do we have to keep repeating the same thing? .. Is there some validation one is looking for? Again & again, majority of the people in EMS really don't give a darn as long as you keep it to yourself.. straight or gay!

R/r 911

I actually posted this thread because of comments that I read by Ridryder911 who seems to be on an exceptionally high horse. Forgive me if I'm just a dumb newbie. Why would I want to be a part of a forum that is so down on the new people that join?

As I stated in my post, I did actually "do a search" and read through comments on this topic for 2 hours and had this additional question. And by the way, I never asked what people thought about being gay. What I asked for was what experiences people have had with coworkers. This question is certainly a far cry from what you call "seeking validation".

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
I actually posted this thread because of comments that I read by Ridryder911 who seems to be on an exceptionally high horse. Forgive me if I'm just a dumb newbie. Why would I want to be a part of a forum that is so down on the new people that join?

As I stated in my post, I did actually "do a search" and read through comments on this topic for 2 hours and had this additional question. And by the way, I never asked what people thought about being gay. What I asked for was what experiences people have had with coworkers. This question is certainly a far cry from what you call "seeking validation".

This was covered and your question was coverd too. Therefore annoying members because this was an issue that should not have been brought up again as your question was basically answered. Secondly no one is down on the new people, introduce your self and post intellegent posts and I am sure you will make friends in no time. Lastly, what is wrong with a high horse if you have the knowledge to back it up?

Robby1974

Forum Crew Member
1) people cant or refuse to search the archives.

2) the people that can search also feel that their lights/stethoscope/tattoo/sexuality/etc situation is so vastly unique so as to warrant a new thread regardless of the amount of identical threads already in existence.

3) the "community leaders" refuse to do anything about it.

did i miss anything????

If I thought my situation was so "unique" as you say why would I ask what other people in the field have experienced? Obviously I am aware that am not in a unique position. I did a search and I said as much in the question. Why would this question bother you? If you don't want to rehash the question then feel free to move on to another topic.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Hi Robby,

Welcome to EMTLife.

We had this discussion - Last month. It became a discussion of the homosexual lifestyle and everyone's personal opinions...and some borderline personal attacks. The CL team decided that locking the thread was the best option.

I'm going to merge this thread with that one... and unlock it - in case anyone has anything additionally worthwhile to add...

If we have problems... the thread will be locked again.

Robby1974

Forum Crew Member
Hi Robby,

Welcome to EMTLife.

We had this discussion - Last month. It became a discussion of the homosexual lifestyle and everyone's personal opinions...and some borderline personal attacks. The CL team decided that locking the thread was the best option.

I'm going to merge this thread with that one... and unlock it - in case anyone has anything additionally worthwhile to add...

If we have problems... the thread will be locked again.

Hey Jon!

Thanks for the welcome!
Merging the thread is a good Idea. I actually posted the topic again because this thread had been closed and I couldn't reply here so this is great!

Thanks again and yes everyone lets keep it friendly!

wchawkins

Forum Probie
You know, I am not an EMT yet, but to be honest, whether the people I work with are homosexual or not, does not matter. I have worked with homosexuals in the past in previous jobs here and there. Truthfully, as long as they know what they are doing, and can do it well, go for it.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I see a similarity between this thread and the one about the guy being assigned to a female partner for the first time in his career and the duty-booty thread.

Sexuality has no place in the work environment. Those who cannot separate the two have some maturity issues. At work, we relate to our co-workers based on the work they do and how well they do it. Other concerns may determine which co-workers we invite to the house for a BBQ but have little to do with work. \

Being able to relate comfortably with people of different genders, cultures, sexual orientations, religious practices etc is part of being a mature individual. Treating each other with basic courtesy and respect for their human dignity is all that is required.

RESQ_5_1

Forum Lieutenant
As near as I can tell, the same theme seems to be coming thru. Noone here appears to have a problem working with anyone as long as they are skillful and do their job well. I don't judge who I work with by anything more than how well they do their job. As well, I don't treat my patients any different based on similar differences. That's what professionalism is all about. I couldn't care less about my patient's/coworkers socio-economic level, skin color, religious/political views, sexual orientation, etc. My job is to provide emergency care to those that call on me for help and to do that job with the person my superiors have partnered me with. Being prejudicial about either one affects how I do my job adversely and makes me look unproffessional.

Robby1974

Forum Crew Member
I agree that orientation etc has no place in the work environment. I won't lie to anyone if they ask me but when at work I am working. Personal stuff has a place and time. It's good to hear that most people don't find it a problem. Hopefully this will prove to be true in the field as well as long as I am professional.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Give the question of "Is that EMS person Gay?" about as much time and consideration as you give "Does he/she part his hair left, right, to the middle or not at all?" It has about as much relevance.

Robby1974

Forum Crew Member
Give the question of "Is that EMS person Gay?" about as much time and consideration as you give "Does he/she part his hair left, right, to the middle or not at all?" It has about as much relevance.

I love this! I wish this is how it was all the time.

JPINFV

Gadfly

/me wonders if there is a correlation between hair parts and homosexuality.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader

upstateemt

Forum Crew Member
I hear there are active heterosexuals in EMS as well ;)

upstateemt

Forum Crew Member

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member

upstateemt

Forum Crew Member