• Yes- I would like verification of some kind

• No- I do not feel it is necessary

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
OP
NysEms2117

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
@Summit wasn't trying to sway opinions, just throwing what my personal idea was. I can definitely, see your point and where you are coming from :).

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Are we talking optional or mandatory?

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
OP
OP
NysEms2117

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT

VentMonkey

Family Guy
100% optional. 0 repercussions if you don't do it.
Maybe explain to the masses what exactly it has provided for the LE forum you speak?

What are the benefits, and purposes? You know I am open to it, but perhaps sell it to us?

OP
OP
NysEms2117

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Maybe explain to the masses what exactly it has provided for the LE forum you speak?

What are the benefits, and purposes? You know I am open to it, but perhaps sell it to us?
yes sir. In my personal experience it has been able to set a "minimum bar"... At the worst case scenario, you know in my case that i AT LEAST passed the civil service test. Not saying that verification= knowledge.. But at least you have been through the process. I have also seen it work as a "helper" that way newer folks coming on the forum have an idea of whats what. I could say i was the FBI director... without backing that up. (is that realistic...no but concept remains.) It also helps based on the fact YOU as the poster can know "what your dealing with". Again, not saying if your unverified your clueless and lying about it, you may very well decide not to verify and be the worlds best doctor.. or worlds best paramedic.. And in my opinion** i feel that it's always good to have a baseline.. This way when i post you know for a fact i am an EMT(or Paramedic, or CC-P, [insert cert here]), again not saying that me passing my EMT-B test makes me a genius, or an idiot.

On the LE forum it's a bit more helpful because you can tailor your response to who your talking with. For example, If i was talking to a student, i may not include all the "legal mumbo jumbo", BUT if i was talking to a DA(district attorney, or a State prosecutor) i may include the "legal talk" so that way i may be able to learn more, and get my point across. If i was talking to a Police officer, i may talk more about the "first stages" in crime, because thats the part they are, they may not know about the "After steps". Also on the LE side there are more "ranks and job differentiations" then EMS. (ex: parole, police, lawyers, judges ect ect)

Hopefully this helped :D

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief

For the purposes of Figure1, I chose to become verified. Verification is a good signal of credibility - especially when an issue is esoteric or complicated. Of course, verification is not the be-all end-all of validity, just a signal - which is really helpful for new users.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
I am indifferent. I personally do not really care what credentials or certifications a person has as I judge based off the information or contribution they provide. I think that most of us can tell pretty quick which users are credible/knowledgeable and which ones are not however I could see where this would be very difficult for a newer user who is medically inexperienced. So in that regards I can see how being "verified" may have some merit to help that. But again, just because a person holds a certain certification does not mean they are an expert.

There are a few medical forums that restrict access to certain sections until verified. For example the CRNA forum does not allow you to access the "Student" section until you submit verification as a SRNA or certain advanced medical discussions unless you are a verified CRNA while the rest of the website is public. I think that is totally fine and probably beneficial.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
I think that most of us can tell pretty quick which users are credible/knowledgeable and which ones are not however I could see where this would be very difficult for a newer user who is medically inexperienced.

I think this is the main value-add this brings - we're protecting people from lower-quality information / reducing the amount of time they have to spend filtering through.

Summit

Critical Crazy
I personally do not really care what credentials or certifications a person has as I judge based off the information or contribution they provide.

Exactly. I used to put my degrees, licenses, and certifications in my my signature. I later deleted it all.

I only want to be judged on my content.

I guess I'll NYS were you also envisioning users sending in our degrees as well as non EMS licenses and certifications so there can be a MD badge or CCRN badge or a Bachelors Degree badge?

OP
OP
NysEms2117

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
I guess I'll NYS were you also envisioning users sending in our degrees as well as non EMS licenses and certifications so there can be a MD badge or CCRN badge or a Bachelors Degree badge?
I was more envisioning EMS only so bachelors would be kind of obsolete in my opinion, if your a MD or a CCRN- it would be assumed your collegiate educated. This was just a basic thing for me maybe even you guys can expand on what you'd like... I have a folder of exactly what i sent to my LE forum, and that included: my badge, my NYSDOCCS ID card, and a contact email address. I dont feel the need to have an Email address or a badge on here. I know in my case, i am not even in possession of my degree, i gave it to my mother- because it's her degree... not mine :p.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
I know in my case, i am not even in possession of my degree, i gave it to my mother- because it's her degree... not mine :p.

I think a lot of us are sympathetic to this one ;)

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Probably indifferent here. While it might be nice for the people whose competency comes into question by post 6, I think I trust that the majority of the folks here are who they say they are simply because they are smarter than me. I have no problem sending in my P number if someone really wanted me to show it though.

ERDoc

Forum Asst. Chief
I think they do this over on SDN. I don't see a problem with doing it voluntarily, if the mods are willing. It is a little work on their part, or maybe a lot, I have no idea what it would take. Most docs have a pocket license much like EMS does as far as I know, but residents are excluded from the banner:cool:. Can I get one for my night at the Holiday Inn also?

OP
OP
NysEms2117

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
OP
OP
NysEms2117

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I think we had this discussion right after the "medic Rob" fiasco. I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea.

I totally forgot about that guy. Brought a bad name to us Robs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
IMO, there is no reason to do this. If any poster submits content that is true and verifiable then who cares what cert levels they are? This is different from LEO forums where advice given may mean life or death of have OPSEC consequences.