first call of the day is...

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
A 37 weeks prego, 29 y.o. gravida x3, with less than 4 min between contractions. No complications, water broke just as we were rolling her into the ER, started crowning in the elevator to the L&D. 2 min after dropping her off the gurney, she gave birth to a healthy baby boy. We dodged a major bullet there...

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
So kind of sorta a no hotter shift, but not really?

We were out of service all morning long on a drill, not sure if any calls came in our district tho, none came in in the afternoon/night, but I had to holdover for a few hours and got a call....ironically we were out doing drivers training and it was a still alarm at our station! Someone drove in with chest pains/weakness. Irregular heart beat, no was slowish but okay...medic didn't like the 12 lead (he said there was signs of a heart block) but EMS took her to the local hospital tho

MMohler

Forum Crew Member
How is the ems system out there? private ambulance, ao, FD?

PandaNin

Forum Probie
Arrive, put on seat belt, tones, 75yo male, tried cannabis edibles for first time. C/C "I don't feel well"

He tried one, no effect. tried another, nada, ate the rest of the box, yummy chocolate.... Uhoh. AMA'd with a recommendation his wife buy some Doritos.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
How is the ems system out there? private ambulance, ao, FD?
County run Third Service. Medic+EMT staffed. No SSM, have their own stations (tho most are co-located at fire stations, some of those are completely separate buildings only sharing a parking lot, others they have their own section in the fire station to themselves), a couple stand alone EMS stations, and a few where they have crews quarters at the hospital.

Although AMR is also around (only private company on the island), they do IFTs, staffed all sorts of mixed BLS, ILS, ALS, and CCT units, they do back up City&County EMS for 911s.

Federal Fire Dept, which covers the military bases has their own ambulances staffed with two dual role FF/PMs, but they only have like 4 ambulances island wide.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Reported gun shot wound. Arrived on scene to find PD advising EMS already took off with the patient in their ambulance.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Unauthorized burn for what turned out to be a camp fire on the beach. Put out with the very cutting edge technique of "bucket filled with water" (from the ocean...surf line significantly closer than where the engine was parked lol) and stirred with a shovel.

First EMS call was Chest pains...from what is now a frequent flier as we have responded to this guy at least 3 times in the past couple of weeks now.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Fatality MVA roll over. One DOA one we had to follow the blood trail to find.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Fatal house fire

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Possible heat but never made it on scene. Our air evac unit beat us to the scene and transported to the helipad by our hospital where another unit picked them up to get them to the ER

Lo2w

Forum Captain
On my PRN IFT:

As usual the schedule is screwy, the medics aren't in and its just me (EMT) and the other truck's EMT. Dispatch drops a trip from the nursing home that had been scheduled overnight for abnormal labs. Dispatch asks us to go over (right down the street) and see what's going on and take it if we can.

Get over walk in, see the PT on a vent ... Walk out and find the RN. PT is vent dependant so we have the conversation that No, I'm not bagging the vent pt 30 minutes across town to the hospital they want. So I give the RN their choice of 3 closer I feel comfortable bagging to. So phone call to dispatch to update and "O by the way, patient is not only vent dependant but a bariatric patient...".

So new plan is for us to get our bari cot, get the medic who just walked in and get this $#%& show rolling. We get the cot and the medic but our next surprise is no vent circuits for our travel vent....

Qulevrius

On my PRN IFT:

As usual the schedule is screwy, the medics aren't in and its just me (EMT) and the other truck's EMT. Dispatch drops a trip from the nursing home that had been scheduled overnight for abnormal labs. Dispatch asks us to go over (right down the street) and see what's going on and take it if we can.

Get over walk in, see the PT on a vent ... Walk out and find the RN. PT is vent dependant so we have the conversation that No, I'm not bagging the vent pt 30 minutes across town to the hospital they want. So I give the RN their choice of 3 closer I feel comfortable bagging to. So phone call to dispatch to update and "O by the way, patient is not only vent dependant but a bariatric patient...".

So new plan is for us to get our bari cot, get the medic who just walked in and get this $#%& show rolling. We get the cot and the medic but our next surprise is no vent circuits for our travel vent....

No way in hell I’d agreed to that. Bagging a vent dependent pt, just because a sh*tty SNF RN decided it’s a good idea ? El oh el...

Lo2w

Forum Captain
No way in hell I’d agreed to that. Bagging a vent dependent pt, just because a sh*tty SNF RN decided it’s a good idea ? El oh el...

We don't have vents on my 911 so I've bagged plenty of SNF patients who were vent dependant.

Qulevrius

We don't have vents on my 911 so I've bagged plenty of SNF patients who were vent dependant.

So have I. What I’m getting at is that a 911 call for a vent dependent pt is one thing. But a scheduled private call from a SNF, with an incompetent/indifferent nurse trying to BLS it ? I’d have had a field day with her...

Lo2w

Forum Captain
So have I. What I’m getting at is that a 911 call for a vent dependent pt is one thing. But a scheduled private call from a SNF, with an incompetent/indifferent nurse trying to BLS it ? I’d have had a field day with her...

Ehh...we couldn't confirm who actually **** the bed. SNF claims they informed our dispatch of patient needs and equipment.

Qulevrius

Ehh...we couldn't confirm who actually **** the bed. SNF claims they informed our dispatch of patient needs and equipment.

Either way, a BLS unit was sent for an ALS transport. Between the SNFs and the dispatch, someone always gets stuck on stupid. Doesn’t mean we have to [emoji6]

Lo2w

Forum Captain
Either way, a BLS unit was sent for an ALS transport. Between the SNFs and the dispatch, someone always gets stuck on stupid. Doesn’t mean we have to [emoji6]

No but in the end we got it done. Dispatch was updated, we got the right cot and proper level of service.

Lo2w

Forum Captain
Dispatched for a possible OD. Arrive to find police with a very naked, possibly psych patient. Patient was found in a car sleeping by the owner. Owner pulls my partner aside to inform my partner that the patient may have the vehicle owner's vibrator on and/or in his person.

The day only got better...