first call of the day is...

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Unknown medical aid... Possible dead body on the side of the road.

I never looked at the body, but I felt fairly confident they were deceased based on where I found the body.....in a coroner's van.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Received 911 call out of the outpatient center at our local hospital (same campus as the ER) for "numbness on left arm"...fortunately just as we went on air to respond we got cancelled by a doctor on scene advising we weren't needed.....only to end up getting a response for a 34yom having an anxiety attack at work (w/ hx of anxiety, missed a dose of his meds....yup got a ride to the ER for that..)

Fido198674

Forum Crew Member
Today so far.... Post at hospital, haven't moved in four hours... Yesterday Psych transport for SI from an ER to psych facility, no precautions, voulentary... Been a nice couple boring shifts really

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
80 year old had a mechanical fall. She snagged the tennis balls on her walker feet on the door jamb and fell over backwards. Open radius/ulna on the right wrist, a gigantic skin tear on the left. A sweet old lady, in excruciating pain. She was fragile like a bird. Before we did anything, I started a line and gave her 12.5mg of Phenergan and 4 of Morphine. (I love having phenergan) Then a splint and bleeding control got her comfortable and made for an easy transport. We almost had to transport her daughter as well. When she saw the open fx, she almost passed out.

Aside from a couple of cancellations and a minor MVA, that was my night last night.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Before we did anything, I started a line and gave her 12.5mg of Phenergan and 4 of Morphine. (I love having phenergan)

I wish more medics did pain control as nicely as you!

NomadicMedic

I wish more medics did pain control as nicely as you!

Thanks. After working as a Basic where I moved and transported dozens of little old ladies with fractures and no pain management, I am especially cognizant of how important it is to get some analgesic on board quickly.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Thanks. After working as a Basic where I moved and transported dozens of little old ladies with fractures and no pain management, I am especially cognizant of how important it is to get some analgesic on board quickly.

It's why I'd love to see Entonox or something in the U.S., especially for rural BLS providers (or services with salty folks that don't like to open the narcs).

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
After lots of similar transports, including one last night where a 7 yr old boy got burned by hot water (superficial burn, but 6%bsa over pretty much his entire belly) with the medics saying "Here, keep pouring water on the dressings, and off you go, see ya", if I ever end up a medic in HI I feel like I'd have a rather low threshold to break out pain meds

NomadicMedic

After lots of similar transports, including one last night where a 7 yr old boy got burned by hot water (superficial burn, but 6%bsa over pretty much his entire belly) with the medics saying "Here, keep pouring water on the dressings, and off you go, see ya", if I ever end up a medic in HI I feel like I'd have a rather low threshold to break out pain meds

I've seen new medics medicate EVERYBODY, whether they really need pain meds or not and I've seen salty medics work months without opening the narcs. I've fallen more toward the middle, actively offering meds to people I think really need them and taking care of the ones who present as painful. Usually the people who need pain meds don't ask for them.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I've had little old ladies with confirmed fractures actually refuse pain meds, those older folks can be tough. I do agree with giving them something before moving them, I learned the importance of that early on.

Lo2w

Forum Captain
Get called for a discharge out of the ED to a local nursing home. Walk in and patient is sitting edge of bed offering to walk out to the truck. Partner and I look at each other, ED staff can't give a legit medical necessity. Partner walks off, calls our office and comes back to tell the nurse we can't take it.

LiveForTheTones

Forum Crew Member
Pt: I'm having chest pain.
Me: Is it localized to one side? Does it feel sharp? Shooting?
Pt: It just hurts.
Me: Any hx of heart issues in the past? (as I'm applying EKG leads)
Pt: No. Why are you asking so many questions??
Me: [emoji19]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LiveForTheTones

Forum Crew Member

They also asked if the EKG was REALLY necessary. I was very tempted to answer: "Nope!! This is for my own amusement."

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Dispatched via alarm company call for an unresponsive female. Get to the address and make contact to find an elderly female lying in bed with a GCS of 5 and agonal respirations.

Dispatch advises we can disregard that patient no linger lives there :/

I RSI'd her

I still have no idea who pressed the life alert button. Patient live alone with a cat. Logic says patient did it before her condition worsened but I like to think the cat did it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Dispatched via alarm company call for an unresponsive female. Get to the address and make contact to find an elderly female lying in bed with a GCS of 5 and agonal respirations.

Dispatch advises we can disregard that patient no linger lives there :/

I RSI'd her

That misinformation is scary. How did informing them that she did in fact live there go?

NomadicMedic

Get used to it. :)

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
That misinformation is scary. How did informing them that she did in fact live there go?
Pretty easy. Just told them we in fact did have an unresponsive patient and to continue fire, they did as asked.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Last shift I worked, first real call was a critically ill diabetic. Fire wondered why patient was so lethargic:rolleyes:. Fam said that their glucometer tapped out at 600, ours is 500.

My accucheck was still friendly enough when I checked it. Can you say fluids, fluids, and oh yeah, more fluids. The trainee I had did pick up on the "sick vs. not sick", so that was nice.

Lo2w

Forum Captain
Combative psych to the psychiatric hospital. Our off going crew had already seen PT twice, transporting fron the nursing home to the ED and back after putting their hand through a window after getting upset with staff. Past history of ETOH abuse and various mental health issues.

Luckily when we showed up PT was fast asleep on a nice dose of meds. Slept nearly the whole way down until 15 minutes out. Then started giving me the squirrely eyes like they were sizing up the truck and me.