FDNY EMS Candidates

Teej92

Forum Crew Member
To everyone who still didn't get the call, don't give up hope yet. Usually they don't start calling till two weeks out so you still have this week upcoming

TeeDub

Forum Crew Member
I know you can't have any facial hair for the academy but does the same go for when you go for your cpat and medical?

Patel92

Forum Crew Member
I know you can't have any facial hair for the academy but does the same go for when you go for your cpat and medical?
It's probably better that you show up without facial hair just to show that you're in compliance with the grooming standards. Along with that, if you have facial hair, it's good to get into habit now than later (in my opinion).

Rory

Forum Crew Member
Yes through every process they attach a FDNY grooming standard form and are pretty strict about it. I would reccomend shaving the night before or the morning of

thatdorkyemt_

Forum Captain
Okay this is for the whole medical process. Unsure if I said this earlier. They are VERY tough on the weight and bmi.... When I went through the process I was considered obese.... I was 5'10" and 220 lbs.... Happens when you date someone who feeds you all the time and changes your lifestyle from walking everywhere to public transportation.

When I had went in for my medical I was told to lose 20 lbs in one month or I would be medically DQ'd. I too took to here and took the advice from one of my friends I believe in Div 5 (Staten Island). It was a tough lifestyle change but got me through my medical and the academy.... Keep to a low carb diet (20g of less/40g of carbs a day if you can't stick to the 20g) and intense cardio mixed with LIGHT weight training. I went back in a month later and shed a little more than asked.

Moral of this is. Don't be discouraged when they say you need to lose weight.... They do it to everyone who doesn't fit in the criteria, after you're on they really don't care.

silvercat354726

Forum Lieutenant
Also looking forward to seeing the new faces in Div 2 when ever the docs clear me from LODI...
I'm in division 2, station 15. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Emttttt

Forum Probie
Congrats to the people who got called/soon to be called. Please show up to orientation with the correct attire and get there early. Sounds crazy but some people showed up to my orientation in casual wear. People were late and they were written up, academy didn't start yet and they got write ups. Good luck guys.

Cdawg06

Forum Crew Member
Can anyone tell me what I should expect on the day I go on for the ID picture etc. I'm scheduled for 8am should I expect a long day or what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Max1997

Forum Ride Along
hi everyone

i have a question about the physical and the academy

do I have to be able to do push ups and pull ups for the physical or the academy ? run?

around how much weight do I have to push or pull for that arm exercise thing in the physical?

can I use glasses if my vision isn't 20/20?

when in the academy, what are the hours? cause that your job right? so is it a 36~40 hrs a week?

also, will having a closed acct in collections be a problem on the background?

THANKS.

Rory

Forum Crew Member
hi everyone

i have a question about the physical and the academy

do I have to be able to do push ups and pull ups for the physical or the academy ? run?

around how much weight do I have to push or pull for that arm exercise thing in the physical?

can I use glasses if my vision isn't 20/20?

when in the academy, what are the hours? cause that your job right? so is it a 36~40 hrs a week?

also, will having a closed acct in collections be a problem on the background?

THANKS.
If you read back a few pages you'll find your answers

Cmushlit

Forum Probie
Can anyone tell me what I should expect on the day I go on for the ID picture etc. I'm scheduled for 8am should I expect a long day or what?

My dad was on the fire department and said its paperwork day. So I'm assuming if it's the same thing that you will set up your paycheck direct deposit or however you want to do it, get your id photo, set up your health insurance, all that kind of stuff. They have 3 time slots per day so it seems like it is only around 2 and 1/2 to 3 hours since the times are 8,11 and 1.

Cmushlit

Forum Probie
Also anyone that's gone through the academy, anything that we should bring that they don't have listed. Stuff that's going to make our lives easier?

thatdorkyemt_

Forum Captain
My dad was on the fire department and said its paperwork day. So I'm assuming if it's the same thing that you will set up your paycheck direct deposit or however you want to do it, get your id photo, set up your health insurance, all that kind of stuff. They have 3 time slots per day so it seems like it is only around 2 and 1/2 to 3 hours since the times are 8,11 and 1.

There's no direct deposit until you get out of the Academy. Picking your health insurance Yes, Photo ID yes, pension and all the other goodies.

mike g

Forum Probie
did any one get the letter yet? i got the call 6/2 and the guy on the phone said to expect the letter next week and its now the second week...