Favorite "Skill" to perform?

PVC

Forum Crew Member
Shuving npas in each others nose for the hell of it .. you guys must be some freaks lol, just kidding never thought of inserting them on each other
We did it on ourselves. Try shoving one up your own nose. The literature seemed to indicate it could be done, so why not?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
The assessment itself. Yeah I like the skills but the assessment tops my list because it's always a different assessment based on your patient. It actually requires you to think.

My second favorite is the technical rescues because you have to think about the best way to get the patient out.

shiroun

Forum Lieutenant
You and Ven should have a race. Any willing volunteers?

Right here :D

ME! Maybe...

One of the lab instructors I had in basic did ask if anyone wanted to volunteer to have an NPA inserted.
Mine did too, and I accepted but for some reason it was never put in. I'm curious what it feels like...

Epi-do

I see dead people
The surgical cric I had to do was pretty cool, but I am in no hurry what-so-ever to give a repeat performance. It didn't make a difference for that patient, but I do know I can do it if needed, which may help the next patient.

rescue1

Forum Asst. Chief
Pulling orphans dramatically from the fiery bus wreckage while the Swedish woman's cheerleading team looks on in horror. In slow motion.

Alternatively, as a basic, reassurance and compassion are pretty nice. Rescues, whether crashes, technical, or water based are also probably some of my favorite emergency experiences though.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Though my sensitive side leans toward AK's take on the skill set, the first thing I thought of was having my Endotrachael Intubations checked by Docs who didn't beleive we should do them, and them finding what I did to be PERFECT!

It wasn't so much getting to do them as it was to get them in "Just like That!"

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
I enjoy placing a solid NPA

I also enjoy taking the NRB or collar off a patient when applied by other BLS providers.

A year ago it would have been the water rescues but the ineptitude has soured me on the whole thing. I spend more time saving other teams who make mistakes

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
One of my favorite skills is diagnosing the complex issue in the first 5 minutes and making appropriate decisions about further treatment. Bonus if I come off looking nice to the people.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
I enjoy managing a difficult airway and coming up with an appropriate ventilation strategy.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
Making it home safe.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
My favorite skill is the most important but least flashy of them all ... assessments.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I'm pretty sure Ven could paralyze me with his mind like that guy from dinner for schmucks.

Incidentally my favorite skill is being a basic that says no to oxygen, longboards, and transporting with lights and sirens when it's not indicated.

I think starting IVs is pretty cool, but I didn't have the confidence yet to "enjoy" it. And while I hate the overuse of the backboard, getting it done properly to an athlete on the ice in full hockey gear is pretty cool with the vacuum splints and whatnot.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
I agree with ffemt. Assessments are so much fun. I really enjoy assessment based medicine.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm pretty sure Ven could paralyze me with his mind like that guy from dinner for schmucks.

Doc, we need to schedule a meet up with him sometime. I have had the pleasure of working with him and look forward to our next scheduled rotation. You would appreciate him tremendously in person as much as online.

Actually before you head back to OH, I think you should come over for a short tour to pound some sand in my AOR.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
Incidentally my favorite skill is being a basic that says no to oxygen, longboards, and transporting with lights and sirens when it's not indicated.

Longboards are great. Very popular here is San Diego :)

surfboard-sale-longboard.jpg